Search found 2212 matches

by BladeRunner919
Sun 29 Oct, 2017 19:46
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: strange problem this morning
Replies: 4
Views: 420

Re: strange problem this morning

I'd start by checking the connections to the battery. Don't be fooled by the central locking thing - that was just a coincidence. Could be that the closing of the door just jogged something back into contact, especially as the central locking doesn't work when you lose all power, and wouldn't have a...
by BladeRunner919
Wed 30 Aug, 2017 17:13
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Exhaust Manifold Question (and a few others)
Replies: 7
Views: 725

Re: Exhaust Manifold Question (and a few others)

Just quickly, as it's not entirely clear elsewhere but is there any difference between the M54 2.5 and M54 3.0 manifold/DISA? Bimmerforums suggest that there's no difference. The easiest way to answer any compatibility questions is to make your way to Realoem.com and find the part - it will then te...
by BladeRunner919
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 12:04
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Leather Repair Kits
Replies: 4
Views: 650

Re: Leather Repair Kits

Another vote for Furniture Clinic from me!
by BladeRunner919
Sat 19 Aug, 2017 18:23
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Boot Leak finding
Replies: 18
Views: 1583

Re: Boot Leak finding

It's the only practical way to find the leak and then cure it. Otherwise you're just speculating.
by BladeRunner919
Thu 17 Aug, 2017 09:11
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Boot Leak finding
Replies: 18
Views: 1583

Re: Boot Leak finding

Did you follow the talcum powder advice?
by BladeRunner919
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 15:44
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Interior changes.
Replies: 3
Views: 720

Re: Interior changes.

There's a European one, that is the nice-looking one, and the USA one that has a large metal bar in it for some safety reason. The USA ones then tend to sag because of the weight and the Americans are always looking for Euro ones because they hate theirs!
by BladeRunner919
Thu 03 Aug, 2017 10:23
Forum: Stock exchange
Topic: Alarm LED/Switch
Replies: 3
Views: 421

Re: Alarm LED/Switch

Would need to see the pinout, but I think it is a microswitch with a separate LED and possibly a common ground. If you are stuck to get an exact replacement, it should be possible to construct a replacement out of a separate LED and simple push button switch mounted into a switch blank. That's corr...
by BladeRunner919
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 18:22
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: UFO in my car?
Replies: 9
Views: 753

Re: UFO in my car?

If you are thinking of getting rid of them, I would be very happy to have one of them - one of mine has lost the rear part that attaches to the windscreen and I've not been able to track one down yet.
by BladeRunner919
Fri 28 Jul, 2017 15:26
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: UFO in my car?
Replies: 9
Views: 753

Re: UFO in my car?

They're alarm sensors. I assume from what you say that you are locking and unlocking with the key in the door, rather than a remote. Where is the beeping coming from? Under the bonnet, or in the cabin?
by BladeRunner919
Mon 10 Jul, 2017 14:03
Forum: New to zroadster.net?
Topic: Hi everyone!
Replies: 3
Views: 494

Re: Hi everyone!

Hi Dina,

Welcome to the forum! Let's see some pictures of the modifications you've done.
by BladeRunner919
Sat 08 Jul, 2017 22:33
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Are Z3's getting rare?
Replies: 12
Views: 1420

Re: Are Z3's getting rare?

Rafolian wrote:
Fri 07 Jul, 2017 20:55
Not rare here in the Costa Blanca north. Quite a few in my area!

Mine will be there in a week as well!
by BladeRunner919
Fri 07 Jul, 2017 10:34
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: ABS fault unsolvable bricked car
Replies: 20
Views: 1750

Re: ABS fault unsolvable bricked car

DanHolman wrote:
Fri 07 Jul, 2017 10:19
£100 quid for the car? That's very generous.
I know. I'm all heart. :lol:
by BladeRunner919
Fri 07 Jul, 2017 08:33
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Tilt sensor
Replies: 9
Views: 665

Re: Tilt sensor

Actually, all the connectors and pins are available from BMW - you just have to search out the part numbers on Realoem, in the 'Vehicle Electrical System' section, which can be 'challenging'!
by BladeRunner919
Fri 07 Jul, 2017 08:27
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: ABS fault unsolvable bricked car
Replies: 20
Views: 1750

Re: ABS fault unsolvable bricked car

Why not just code the second module to the car? It can be done diy using DIS - I know, because I've done it. I can't tell from your post whether you think the second module is faulty, but second-hand bits for these cars are everywhere.

If you've really given up I'll give you £100 for it.
by BladeRunner919
Wed 05 Jul, 2017 12:49
Forum: M Roadster and M coupé
Topic: Z3M Brakes
Replies: 6
Views: 686

Re: Z3M Brakes

You could get your calipers refurbished by these guys, rather than go for replacements: http://www.biggred.co.uk/
by BladeRunner919
Tue 04 Jul, 2017 11:31
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Pinking (pre-ignition) 1999 2ltre
Replies: 69
Views: 4952

Re: Pinking (pre-ignition) 1999 2ltre

The fact that you noticed no difference with the maf disconnected and got no warning light is the stand-out comment. It sounds as though the car runs ok when it's in open-loop, but not when it's in closed-loop. I assume your engine light comes on correctly when you first turn the ignition on? I thin...
by BladeRunner919
Fri 30 Jun, 2017 11:44
Forum: Let's talk
Topic: Photobucket hosting ban!
Replies: 3
Views: 561

Re: Photobucket hosting ban!

I'm kind of glad about this because photobucket is such a dreadful site - if I try and look at anything on it I find it slows my PC to a crawl. Hopefully this should push people onto other hosting sites that are better/quicker/etc...
by BladeRunner919
Fri 30 Jun, 2017 09:29
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Rubbish Bodyshop
Replies: 5
Views: 623

Re: Rubbish Bodyshop

While that is disappointing, it does sound as though you hadn't discussed what the process would be with the bodyshop in advance so you can't really blame them entirely. Perhaps they thought they were doing you a favour by doing it as inexpensively as possible? :shrug
by BladeRunner919
Fri 30 Jun, 2017 08:37
Forum: Site Announcements and Feedback
Topic: Forum Maintenance - Saturday 17th June 2017 12-3pm
Replies: 13
Views: 1424

Re: Forum Maintenance - Saturday 17th June 2017 12-3pm

Firefox. How very odd - it's the same pc that it was working on the other day! Bloody computers!
by BladeRunner919
Wed 28 Jun, 2017 15:23
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Aircon compressor question
Replies: 3
Views: 423

Re: Aircon compressor question

That's pretty normal - I think all my cars do it.
by BladeRunner919
Tue 27 Jun, 2017 14:14
Forum: Site Announcements and Feedback
Topic: Forum Maintenance - Saturday 17th June 2017 12-3pm
Replies: 13
Views: 1424

Re: Forum Maintenance - Saturday 17th June 2017 12-3pm

Hi Robert, as the others have mentioned we are all very grateful for your continued hard work. I had noticed one thing - before the update on the Home page, the 'Recent Topics' window would stop scrolling when the mouse pointed entered it - this made it easy to control the scrolling and to click on ...
by BladeRunner919
Tue 27 Jun, 2017 11:33
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Part identification
Replies: 4
Views: 405

Re: Part identification

It's just a vacuum hose, so not subject to hot water/oil etc. Mine came off really easily recently.
by BladeRunner919
Tue 27 Jun, 2017 09:18
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Part identification
Replies: 4
Views: 405

Re: Part identification

I assume you mean the vacuum hose. Is it seized on, or are you just worrying in case it is? There's no reason why it would be.
by BladeRunner919
Wed 21 Jun, 2017 08:18
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Z3 boot badges
Replies: 7
Views: 712

Re: Z3 boot badges

Get a price from the dealer - that might incentivise you to get the scissors out! :D
by BladeRunner919
Tue 20 Jun, 2017 11:50
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Z3 boot badges
Replies: 7
Views: 712

Re: Z3 boot badges

Could you not reuse the ones you have, using a good quality double sided foam tape?
by BladeRunner919
Mon 19 Jun, 2017 08:36
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: French toad trip
Replies: 5
Views: 583

Re: French toad trip

Sounds good. I'm off to Spain in the Z3 in a few weeks: Dieppe - Le Mans - Pau - Zaragoza - Alicante. Two weeks in Alicante then back via Pamplona - Tours - Dieppe.
by BladeRunner919
Mon 19 Jun, 2017 08:32
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Z3 rear beam
Replies: 4
Views: 566

Re: Z3 rear beam

Do you mean the brackets at either side of the rear subframe? Just undo the bolts. :shrug
by BladeRunner919
Thu 15 Jun, 2017 08:17
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Steering wheel soft centred?
Replies: 4
Views: 475

Re: Steering wheel soft centred?

You might find that only one of the horns is working if it's feeble.
by BladeRunner919
Wed 14 Jun, 2017 12:08
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: What did you buy your Z3 this week ?
Replies: 2084
Views: 218427

Re: What did you buy your Z3 this week ?

Rafolian wrote:Left in in on monday, picked it up this morning. Faultless job!!
Where was that done? I'm driving down to Alicante next month so maybe I should get mine resprayed while I'm there!
by BladeRunner919
Wed 14 Jun, 2017 08:01
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Steering wheel soft centred?
Replies: 4
Views: 475

Re: Steering wheel soft centred?

Sounds normal.
by BladeRunner919
Tue 13 Jun, 2017 16:26
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Sump gasket
Replies: 2
Views: 342

Re: Sump gasket

Yes, just as-is.
by BladeRunner919
Tue 13 Jun, 2017 12:01
Forum: Stock exchange
Topic: Z3M Roadster
Replies: 17
Views: 1928

Re: Z3M Roadster

Are the mice included? :D

Looks very nice. If I had the money...
by BladeRunner919
Mon 12 Jun, 2017 08:13
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Speaker Advice Please
Replies: 5
Views: 729

Re: Speaker Advice Please

I replaced the speakers in my XK8 with Pioneer ones, as part of an upgrade. I didn't want to spend crazy money, and I have to say I'm very happy with them. I think that making sure the speakers are a good match for the output of the stereo is as important as anything else - for example, expensive sp...
by BladeRunner919
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 08:28
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Alarm going off continuously when parked
Replies: 6
Views: 825

Re: Alarm going off continuously when parked

billysally208 wrote:Bonnet alarm switch is another favorite - just disconect the plug connecter to the switch and add a wire loop across the terminals to make it think the bonnet is closed.
Disconnect it, but don't add a wire loop - that will make the alarm think the bonnet is open!
by BladeRunner919
Fri 09 Jun, 2017 08:25
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Wax oil/undersealing
Replies: 12
Views: 1261

Re: Wax oil/undersealing

Oh I see. Yes, I think I recall people getting advisories on newer cars because there are so many plastic covers on things that the MOT testers can't actually see anything!
by BladeRunner919
Thu 08 Jun, 2017 20:09
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Wax oil/undersealing
Replies: 12
Views: 1261

Re: Wax oil/undersealing

Why is it an advisory?
by BladeRunner919
Tue 06 Jun, 2017 21:22
Forum: Stock exchange
Topic: Club logo
Replies: 109
Views: 10905

Re: Club logo

Can't we just accept that this isn't something that's going to happen and close the thread? :shrug
by BladeRunner919
Mon 05 Jun, 2017 08:24
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Power steering
Replies: 6
Views: 770

Re: Power steering

MIne's fine. The Z doesn't have speed-sensitive power steering as far as I know, but then your SD1 wouldn't have been either, so it doesn't provide more assistance at low speeds. Is your complaint that it's too heavy? If so, the Z3 isn't over-assisted, which many cars are, because it is supposed to ...
by BladeRunner919
Thu 01 Jun, 2017 08:39
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: broken it already.....
Replies: 2
Views: 451

Re: broken it already.....

Well done - these cars are pretty diy friendly! I'm sure we'd have all freaked at someone breaking our new car :D
by BladeRunner919
Thu 01 Jun, 2017 08:38
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Icarsoft
Replies: 14
Views: 1351

Re: Icarsoft

therealdb1 wrote:they can probably give you an answer immediately without the risk of damaging anything?
Code readers can't cause any damage. They just read and reset codes. You need DIS or winkfp before you are into the realms of potentially causing problems.
by BladeRunner919
Wed 31 May, 2017 17:24
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Sill Repair/Replacement
Replies: 8
Views: 993

Re: Sill Repair/Replacement

I'm not sure sill replacement counts as a 'big job'! They bolt on and off, so if you have a place that can paint to a reasonable degree, I'd just get them to do the painting and bolt them on yourself.
by BladeRunner919
Wed 31 May, 2017 15:44
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Window won't go up in one go.
Replies: 3
Views: 431

Re: Window won't go up in one go.

In most cars you have to run them all the way down and all the way back up to set the one-touch after disconnecting the battery.
by BladeRunner919
Tue 30 May, 2017 14:57
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Diagnostic advice on non start
Replies: 3
Views: 387

Re: Diagnostic advice on non start

Basically, 'check starter motor'. I had no idea (and am rather dubious) that DIS and INPA can give feedback on the starter motor on a basic car like the Z3. If you have a recurring cam sensor fault (I assume you cleared the code and it's come back) then change that.
by BladeRunner919
Mon 29 May, 2017 16:28
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Coolant flushing
Replies: 16
Views: 1489

Re: Coolant flushing

My M44 is about 5 liters all in - not sure what engine you have.
by BladeRunner919
Mon 29 May, 2017 12:34
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Coolant flushing
Replies: 16
Views: 1489

Re: Coolant flushing

Not necessary, but it's so cheap, why wouldn't you? :D
by BladeRunner919
Mon 29 May, 2017 12:33
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Passenger door won't open
Replies: 15
Views: 1382

Re: Passenger door won't open

dazthephot wrote:The door should still open from the inside as it's a mechanical lock. Doesn't it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If it's been locked with the alarm fob then it double locks and the door can't be opened from the inside.
by BladeRunner919
Fri 26 May, 2017 08:36
Forum: Z3 roadster
Topic: Buying cam sensors, whats all the fuss about?
Replies: 14
Views: 1154

Re: Buying cam sensors, whats all the fuss about?

No. Do a search and you'll find plenty of stories of people fitting aftermarket ones, then buying genuine ones. Get your friend's dad to promise to reimburse you for the aftermarket one when it doesn't work properly if he's that confident.