advise on sat nav

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Bluecar

Z3 roadster 1.9

advise on sat nav

Post by Bluecar »

hi all,
My son has requested a sat nav for his birthday as he has to travel further now for his work. He has left it up to me to decide which one and as I have no idea, thought I would throw it open you all.
In Argos there is the New Navman spirit range by Mio. There is one priced at £129.99 which includes traffic and speed cameras. This sounds ideal but is a lot cheaper than others with traffic. Has anyone got any comments to share about this make/model please, or can recommend others that do the same job for about the same price? :?:
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Don't bother paying extra for traffic. All except for the hugely expensive TomTom Go Live! are worse that useless.

All the others use the Traffic Master data, compiled from the Highways Agency data. It's usually at least 24 hours out of date, and slow to update. I've pulled up on the back of 8 mile jams that aren't on the traffic, and been directed aroud a crash that was cleared the previous day. So worse than useless. Local radio with your RDS TP service is what you need.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

I think SatNavs are a bit like mobile phones - people have their own brand preferences and different makes have their own peculiarities.
My son specifically asked for a Gamin because he'd used one and like the firmware logic. This offer is on Amazon today and is the widescreen version of the one we have.

HTH
Image :devil:
Dr Shiny

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dr Shiny »

I've owned both TomTom and Medion (Halfords). The TomTom and it's web interface is miles ahead. I gave the Medion to my son.

Recommended.

P.
jack-p

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by jack-p »

i use a tomtom at work and it's pretty much faultless. they tested it against a garmin and also the satnav built into the blaupunkt hadunits we use and apparently the tomtom is ALOT better. think theyre pretty cheap now aswell which is always a bonus!
321bhp

Not specified

Post by 321bhp »

ive been using a tom tom for nearly 6 years now,you wont find better,easy to use,its childs play,reliable,not as cheap as others but i think an all round better sat-nav
T48 TRE

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by T48 TRE »

I too use the Tom Tom and I can not fault it. used with the Post code it will take you there, or at leastr in the vicinity. I have used it abroad as well with no problem. I subscribe to the speed camera notification and that helps a lot, although to be honest, I am not usually going faster than the limit.
So for me Tom Tom is the one.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

The TOMTOM is to satnavs as the iPOD is to portable music players. Similar ideas, just done way better.

Go with TOPMTOM and you won't regret it.

Si.
Desperado

Not specified

Post by Desperado »

If he mas an iPhone than Co-Pilot Uk must be a contender for £25!
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

When he gets it, try and persuade him to navigate just by listening to the audio.
It is frightening to see drivers gawping at the screen instead of the road as if they are playing on the xbox. (Our screen mount is still in the box)
RobBruce

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by RobBruce »

I've used a few satnavs too, and by far the best for accuracy is a built-in unit from Pioneer.

Personally, I really don't like TomTom very much. I find it slow and never takes me the same way twice.
I recently got a Garmin Nuvo for work, and so far I'm pretty pleased with it, especially for the price.

Your son needs to get off his 4r5e and go to Halfrauds with you, have a look at a few demos and see which one HE prefers. Then buy it cheaper off the internet ;)

Satnavs, like anything, are suject to personal taste. What YOU might like HE might hate. Make him have a look!! :roll:
In God We Trust - everyone else gets PNC'd.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Makro are having a TomTom sale NOW. The trouble is that they have no stock :head: .
Pingu
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

pingu wrote:Makro are having a TomTom sale NOW. The trouble is that they have no stock :head: .
That's a shame - they are usually free when they've sold out :twisted:
Image :devil:
Bluecar

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bluecar »

Thanks for all your replies. Seems Tom tom is preferred by the majority. Have looked on internet and prices are quite good, but now confused by the model numbers. ' Tom tom one' are v2 v3 v4 etc - whats the differenc? Yes RobBruce, he should come with me but he has been working in the USA for 3 months and his Birthday was in July. Just wanted to have it wrapped up and ready to give him on his return (a soft mother thing). :)
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

pingu wrote:Makro are having a TomTom sale NOW. The trouble is that they have no stock :head: .
They now have TomTom One V5 GB in stock for £99.99 +VAT.

I got one today. It has MapShare, IQ and Safety Cameras. The camera database is not as good as my old one, but I'm sorting that by transferring the old camera databases onto the new TT.

TT One V5 EU will be £119.99 + VAT when it's available.

Old stock of TT One Classics are available at <£70 +VAT in the Nottingham store.
Pingu