Sat Nav repair

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
rgf

Not specified

Sat Nav repair

Post by rgf »

My Garmin Nuvi sat nav switch has decided to fail. I'm lost without it - literally sometimes.
Can anyone recommend a reliable, quick and cheap repair shop??
Thanks in anticipation!
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

RGF, were did you buy it from / how long ago and whats wrong with it ???
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
rgf

Not specified

Post by rgf »

The satnav is just coming up to two years old so is out of warranty - bought from Halfords. The on/off switch doesn't work. For afew days it automatically came on when it was placed on the cradle, but it has stopped doing that as well now so can't be switched on at all.
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

If it is only 2 years old I would take it back and suggest it is not fit for purpose and it is unreasonable for it to only last that long, they may give you a new one :)
It's worth a try
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

I believe that goods bought in the EU may be guaranteed by the manufacturer for 2 years.
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargains-a ... _page_id=5
I suggest you ring Halfords head office and find out if they will replace the sat nav.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

RGF, worth a go. I'm not brilliant with consumer law but the 12 month guarantee often quoted is very misleading. It all comes down to fit for purpose. Thats why car have more than 12 months as you would reasonably expect it to work (ie to get from A to B) for much longer :wink:

However, Halfords buy in bulk (I think they arte still the largest sat nav supplier in the country). I did some work with them 5 years ago and they do not have standard manufacturer agreements. ie normally the manufacturer replaces / repairs within 12 months and the retailer covers anything above that but with Halfords they negotiate this out of the contract ie get a bigger discount but agree they will return no items (they take the risk). Not sure if this will help how they will view this.

My brother returned one to BMW that was 15 months old (he bought it as a present for his girlfriend) and they just gave him a newer version without much hassle :wink:

Costco do 3 years on basically all electricals with no hassle (worth considering when buying electicals :wink:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
rgf

Not specified

Post by rgf »

Halford's have just passed me on to Garmin.
Garmin will replace the SatNav with a new one - for £82.
I have received repair quotes starting at £89, so this might be a reasonable option, as it is a decent model costing significantly more.

However, I just need to pursue cnharis's info regarding the EU directive on 2 years warranty being compulsory.
Watch this space.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Your contract is with Halfords, not Garmin. You have to keep persuing it at the place you bought it. They try to fob you off, diecting you to the manufacturer, because that is company policy. Often the till staff don't know better. Take a copy of the consumer rights acts in and show it to someone with some authority.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

:thumb:

I think I would visit the store with the goods,receipt and print out of the law and ask to see the manager /store supervisor (if they try the old "he's not here") :devil: (can you take a video please, pretend your from watchdog :D )
z head

Z4 roadster 2.5si

Post by z head »

My SatNav's broken too, it thinks Liverpool is still in Europe!!

:devil:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

:roflmao:

And I'm a Liverpool fan :wink: