Edge 305 component speakers

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
groove65

Z3 roadster 1.9

Edge 305 component speakers

Post by groove65 »

Just fitted some component Edge 305's to my 'zed

they are the 5.25" ones from halfrauds - £39.99 for the complete kit

sound nice actually - popped the tweeters in the positions estocks suggested - on the dash near the popouts. i got lucky as my 1998 1.9 doesnt have the passenger footwell amp so these were a doddle to fit

not huuuge bass i grant you but a lot better than the stock units which were garbage.

might think about going larger in the footwells to 6.5" but ive no idea on the speaker rings as the guy who mentioned them on here has deleted all the pics of what the rings look like :head: and ive not got a clue where to get 5.25" to 6.5" speaker rings from :dunce:

so for now, these ones will stay in their place as i think they sound great for the money

if anyone does know what type of adapter ring is needed and where to get them from please drop me a note

ta !
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Stufelder's adaptor rings were simply a ring with a 5.25" inner and a 6.5" outer. Then he had added 8 fittings, 4 to attatch the ring to the car in a 5.25" size, then 4 more (bolts acatually) in the 6.5" size for the speaker.

He used bolts as they were fabricated from steel [since the 4*5.25" must be fastened to the car first, before the speaker], but if you made them from MDF then you could find a long screw.
The ring serves two functions, one to move the speaker out to allow space for the magnet and basket to pass through the speaker cutout. The other function allows the 6.5" speaker to fit to the adaptor ring, and the adaptor ring to fit to the 5.25" car fixings.

As above, the 5.25" need to be attached before the 6.5". So you need wood screws or welded bolts.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
groove65

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by groove65 »

Aha ! right - know what you mean now from the pic.

so if i used say 5mm MDF to give 10mm overall thickness i could still get the 6.5" speaker in without the cone fouling the inside of the grille in the footwells ?

im guessing there is about 10mm clearance between front of speaker cone and grille

if not there is enough plastic there that could be dremelled out i guess to give enough clearance.

i suspect that there is quite a bit of difference between bass quality when going from 5.25" to 6.5" - what's your experience estocks ?

cheers