Becker cascade 7944

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Becker cascade 7944

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Have bought the Becker today on that well known auction site. How easy is it to fit to my Z which currently has an OEM CD52 unit? Is it something that i'll have to get a man to do? I have searched and only really found some general stuff. Anyone got any specifics? Cheers :)
Desiro

M roadster S50

Post by Desiro »

Do you have the code mic and GPS antenna with the unit?

With mine i just pushed it in the hole (no cage) plugged it in and it worked.

you do have to route the cables for the mic and antenna if you have them.
jonttt gave me instructions about how to do this, but it is straight forward.

I have installation and user guides in pdf if you want the pm an email address
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Seach for speakeramp too. It will continue to work with the Becker, but be advised that it is there.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Its pretty easy to install but does involve you loosening some trim panels to feed the GPS and speaker mic wires.

The actual unit does just slide into the existing standard DIN radio aperature.

But BMW use a non standard connector to the OEM headunits so you will need an adaptor. These convert the BMW sockets to standard so the wires just plug stright into the back of the becker unit (ie power, earth, speakers, etc.....). They are about £15 from Halfords if you need quickly or £5 off eBay. (Its actually the same adaptor as for a Rover :roll: )

If you have the HK amp upgrade on your Z this above will work but really you should buy the Becker Pre out adaptor so you can feed a pre out rather than an amplified signal from the headunit to the Amp. If you don't have HK then you can just do as above, don't worry about the amp at the passenger door speaker, in practice you will notice no difference.

So if you have an OEM headunit fitted and no HK you just need to buy a BMW to Standard adaptor cable. If you already have a non OEM headunit fitted then the adaptor cable is probably already in place (unless it was hard wired in). Worth taking your headunit out to check.

Once you have the adaptor in place you can plug the Becker in and check it works for sound.

Note the only wire not converted by the adaptor is the GAL signal (speed sensitive volume control, ie volume automatically goes up as speed increases). You don't need this but it is a handy feature. You will need to manually wire a cable fro the becker connector to the adaptor cable and is the most technical part of the installation ie identifying the connections and making up a wire. If you search Becker and install there was a great post last year when this was discussed. (nb if you do get a 3rd party to install make sure you specifiy you want the GAL connection or they may well not bother).

Once the radio is working you just have to feed through the GPS and MIC wires.

The easiest way to do that is be loosening the drivers side centre trim and the panel under the steering wheel (you don't have to remove them just remove enough screws to be able to get your hand behind). You then run both wires under the steering wheel. The GPS can sit in the front corner of the windscreen and the mic is routed up the A piller to sit next the the rear view mirror. You can do this pretty easily and have no wires showing (search out my install post for my first ///M early last year, I'm sure I did pics of the install). nb I've since read you can actually hide the GPS receiver behind the centre consol, it is then invisible and requires no routing but I've never tried this and I'm not sure how reliable the signal would be?

If you've done basic head units installs before it not a hard job at all. The only slightly technical bit being the GAL wire connection. It should take a couple of hours max taking your time.

But if your not confident an installer should be able to do it for you for 2 hours labour (ie c£100) but some charge well over the odds.

Good luck

Edit:

here is the post on the GAL signal

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... hlight=gal

Can't find pics of my Becker install but this thread has pics of me fitting a GPS to the top dash in the same location (but passenger side) so gives you a good idea of how to run the cables to the top of the dash.
The A piller trim just pulls off (again you don't need to remove it just one side to push the wires behind). The wire is then just pushed under the trim at the top of the windscreen to the rear view mirror.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19415

nb if you buy the Ipod cable (well worth it) you can wire that through to the glove box as I did for my stealth speed camera system above (ie through the latch hole, no drilling needed :wink: )

This post shows the adaptor cable you need

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ht=#183964
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Thanks for the responses, it does have the mic+gps antenna and i'll certainly be getting the ipod kit to complete the set up. As to the HK amp pretty sure its not got that. I'm picking it up tonight, only 6 miles from home which is a bonus and £300 didn't think that was too bad. Thats me skint now though having bought some 18" OEM clubsport split rims, hardtop+fitting kit all in the last two months. What would i need to search on ebay to get the right connector? :rtm: And thanks again :)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Just search ebay for "BMW ISO CONNECTOR"

you will get items like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-HEADUNIT-CONN ... 23074876de
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Picked up the Becker tonight, perfect condition and it's got the updated version 4.0 software installed instead of the 2.0 :o :o :o :o . Really looking forward to getting it fitted.