Replacing Factory Fit Stereo

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
jonm

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Replacing Factory Fit Stereo

Post by jonm »

I have inherited a Pioneer DEH 4200SD which I would like to pop in to replace the horrid tape unit.

Is there any magic to this? I think I'll need an adaptor cable, but not sure which is most appropriate if I decide to put in a sub and new speakers later on.

Some helpful detail on doing the job theself would be welcome.

Thanks.

J.
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

you will need one of these, but the rest should be easy.

Adaptor
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

It's a little while since I changed mine for a Pioneer - it will be a predecessor to yours, but from memory:

Headunit came with a Pioneer to ISO adapter and it was different to the previous Pioneer I had fitted.

Car needed a BMW to ISO adapter - in my case I reused this - if your headunit is a BMW one, then you will probably need to buy one.

The remote control wire needs to be connected - one mine this was just two bullet connectors that needed pushing together - this controls the amplifier for the footwell speakers - if it is not connected, you won't get any sound from them. I recall it being a blue wire.

Other than that, it is a piece of the proverbial and although there seems to be miles of adapter wiring, there is actually plenty of room in there for it all.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
jonm

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by jonm »

TaffZee,

I assume this one on ebay is the same spec as the Halfords one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUTOLEADS-PC2-75- ... 1342685924

J.
hornel Z3M

blank

radio

Post by hornel Z3M »

This may be a stupid question to some people but how does one know which radio fits the Z, are there special sizes or something. :dunce:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: radio

Post by Robert T »

hornel Z3M wrote:This may be a stupid question to some people but how does one know which radio fits the Z, are there special sizes or something. :dunce:
Most headunits are a standard size - although most have a cage that fits into the dash first - so I guess it is the cage and aperture which are a standard size.

Note that this only applies to the Z3 - later cars like the Z4 have custom front panels which a "standard" headunit would not match.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

jonm wrote:TaffZee,

I assume this one on ebay is the same spec as the Halfords one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUTOLEADS-PC2-75- ... 1342685924

J.
Yep thats the one Jonm. Just replaced my unit :thumb:
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: radio

Post by gookah »

Robert T wrote:Note that this only applies to the Z3 - later cars like the Z4 have custom front panels which a "standard" headunit would not match..
No problem with the Z4, £15 gets you a faceplate....

:D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..