Sat Nav dilemma.....

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Steve
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Sat Nav dilemma.....

Post by Steve »

Has anyone got the new Tomtom Go or Navman Pin?

http://www.totalpda.co.uk/?section=309

http://www.totalpda.co.uk/Navman-PiN-GPS-System.aspx

(or should I go for the Ipaq PDA and Tomtom 3 software? :? )

I will be swapping regularly between cars so an 'all in one' system would be easier.
Tim has advised me to find out about 'way-points'
Any other feedback or advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Steve
SLX 280

BMW other

so much choice...

Post by SLX 280 »

Hello Steve,

Its a nightmare when looking into a new gadget !!! so many different models etc.. I know I too was looking into it a while back (I took advice off DavidM).

Anyway I wanted something I could use in different cars (mine and works etc..) also my main criteria was I didn't want loads of wires everywhere. hate wires.

I finally went for an Ipaq with a compact flash expansion jacket and put a compact flash GPS in that. 128md SD memory holds all the UK maps (TT2), this set up uses 1 wire to power (same type as a phone charger)

So far I've been very happy with the unit, I just need to find a descent 'mount' they don't seem to be designed for bendy roads!! :)

Good luck with the hunt

Scott
SLX 280
Steve
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Decision made....

Post by Steve »

I have finally opted for the Tomtom Go.

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co. ... ct_id=2278

They confirmed I could add 'Way points' and there's also a large choice of POI's. Full UK mapping and major roads for Europe included. Full Western Europe maps are £120 extra (plus SD card).

Main final reason for choosing is it's portability and lack of wires. It will run on it's own battery for up to 5 hours so for shorter trips you don't even need to plug it in.

New toy on the way :D
Don't you just love waiting for the postman when you've ordered something new for the car :roll:
Neal(2.8Roadster)

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: so much choice...

Post by Neal(2.8Roadster) »

SLX 280 wrote:
So far I've been very happy with the unit, I just need to find a descent 'mount' they don't seem to be designed for bendy roads!! :)

SLX 280
Regarding a suitable mount for your Ipaq. Depending on the Model you have I would strongly recommend this combination :

this Mount:
http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co. ... ct_id=2082

And This add on to mount the above on the dash:
http://www.mobiledatadirect.co.uk/produ ... ts_id=1362

My Ipag (5550) slots in without needing to plug in any wires at all as they all plug into the mount so can be left in place.
The mount sits solid on the dash and doesnt bounce around like the Swan neck mounts.

if your Ipaq has an Audio out on the bottom rather than the top, there is no cable needed for this as the plug is part of the cradle rather than a cable as shown in the picture.

Its a bit pricey but is a LOT better than anything else I have seen/tried.
Neal Glover

Email : nealglover@Gmail.com
BartS
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by BartS »

I agree with Neil on the mount

I have an 2210 iPAQ and also bought the SEIDIO cradle, from globalpositioningsystems.

Unfortunately, the illustration on their side is a silver mount and I got delivered a grey cradle (silver blends in better with the iPAQ) but was told that silver ones were not available with them at the time.

the loudspeaker in the crade is a good one, as it certainly helps to improve the audio performance of the iPaq: as the ipaq itself suffers from a poor layout with the speaker at the back itself and this results in a muffled audio performance in most cradles. The built in speakers in the cradle improve its output big time, particularly when driving open. A single cable runs from the cradle to the cigarette lighter. all rather neat and recommended

with regard to the preferred mount, this is a trick one, Zmeagol has tested and disapproved many. I use at the moment a short gooseneck mount, and not the one Neal recommends (that one used double sided adhesive, and I was led to believe this is not ideal for prolonged periods of stability (sun/heat reducing the power of adhesive etc)

A stable installation of a gooseneck is a true challenge for us all, but I believe still a better option than a vent mount (really crap) or an adhesive mount.

I reconfigured/reinstalled my goosemount a few times by playing around with the angle at which it is installed on the windscreen, thus ensuring that the mount rest quite firm on the dash itself, which minimises the shaking and vibration of the mount/ipaq.

Good luck!
martlet
Z Register member

M coupe S54

Post by martlet »

How loud/clear is the voice guidance from the TomTomGO?

And is the volume adjustable?

Dave
Last edited by martlet on Thu 02 Sep, 2004 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
SEP 2003: Bought 2002 Z3 M Coupé Titanium Silver with Black Leather.
OCT 2003: Adjustable interior Rear View Mirror.
Early 2005: Front Strong Strut. Replaced all tyres with F1s. Added rear Strong Strut.
AUG 2005: EXDOS Mod
SEP 2006: Retrofit Cruise Control
Neal(2.8Roadster)

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Neal(2.8Roadster) »

BartS,

Yes I had been warned about the adhesive not being strong enough for long term use in heat/sun etc, although I have not yet had any problems as the Cradle actually rests on the dash quite snugly when installed and this must take a lot of the stress off the dashmount itself.

Also as you said, the short goosneck that comes as standard can be mounted very solid if you mount it so that it presses the bottom of the cradle firmly down on the dash. (a small piece of non slip mat held down with 3M adhesive under the cradle on the dash helps this and makes it even more solid)

I found that this setup does not move or rattle, even on the cobbled streets we still have here Ooop North :)
Neal Glover

Email : nealglover@Gmail.com
Steve
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Arrived and fitted....

Post by Steve »

So far I am really impressed .....although still got to master the waypoints :rtm:
There is some reflection off the screen but heh it's sunny, so I'm not complaining about that till next week
I mounted a bracket from the inside of the air vents, one of Mr Cal's many idea's, thanks Tony :wink: and used the supplied mount, ignoring the stick on windscreen part. As you can see from pic 4, you have to use the supplied mounting. The 'GO' is an odd shape so no other choice although I understand Brodit are developing one.

In this position and roof up it picks up 5+ sats, (I haven't fitted an external antenna) I've yet to try roof up and under trees or around tall buildings so will reserve judgment. I used it for 3 hours on a fully charged battery this morning and the indicator shows 50% charge. With these results it seems pointless hardwiring the 'GO'
The volume on 'max' is acceptable even with roof down but they are bringing out a kit for wiring through the car radio.
Steve.
Attachments
Tomtom1.jpg
Easily reached from drivers seat.
(52.23 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
Tomtom2.jpg
Sun directly behind hence reflection
(55.11 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Tomtom3.jpg
Rear view of mounting bracket.
(35.21 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
Tomtom4.jpg
Front view mounting bracket
(38.09 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
martlet
Z Register member

M coupe S54

Tomtom GO

Post by martlet »

Steve,
Now that you have had this for a month, any additional comments?
I am considering this for the ease of interchange between cars, and the lack of wires all over the place

Dave
SEP 2003: Bought 2002 Z3 M Coupé Titanium Silver with Black Leather.
OCT 2003: Adjustable interior Rear View Mirror.
Early 2005: Front Strong Strut. Replaced all tyres with F1s. Added rear Strong Strut.
AUG 2005: EXDOS Mod
SEP 2006: Retrofit Cruise Control
Desperado

Not specified

Post by Desperado »

With regards to mounts I can offer a cheep way which fits any car:

I've got a Dell Axum so not much difference with the iPaq, I wanted to move it thorugh both of our cars. In the end I bodged the job by buying a mobile phone holder with a windscreen suction cup from Halford for around £11-14, unscrewed it all and removed the phone holder, this leaves a square place of about 2.5 by 1.5 inches.

I put some velcro on the plate and the other bit on the Axum's back and it works beutifully, no Dell or stand flying anywhere in all manner of twisties, it can easily be removed and fits any car... windscreen or flat area.

If anyone is interedted in it's look let me know and I'll post pictures later on.
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Desperado wrote:If anyone is interedted in it's look let me know and I'll post pictures later on.
Interested in any mounting system - so yes please to seeing some photos
Steve
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

still very impressed......

Post by Steve »

I moved original mounting postion - too much vibration. It now sits in the gap between windscreen pillar and instrument pod, secured only by a cable tie through the air vent. I will post some pics at the weekend. It works really well and no shake whatsoever.
It means having two mounts (one for each car) and extra's aren't available yet. I can still remove the unit but it means fitting a new cable tie when I put it back in the Z.
They have updated the software so you can add Points of Interest which includes a camera database and it can be set to give audible warnings. Not sure if I will ditch the Road Angel just yet though as they seem a bit erratic.
I was sold a pup on the Way points. You can only put in one via. A work around is to log where you want to go as 'favourites' and use them en route.
I have to say it's the only 'gadget' where everyone who sees it wants one!
(Even my other half who's usual first comment is 'and how much was that!!)
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Ah that sucks about the Way points - bummer - in TTN3 you can have a whole itinerary of loads of points
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Cheap mounting bracket for iPAQ, I got off of e-bay for £12 + p&p, works fine, but I don't like the loose cables, plugs into Road Angel for GPS
Attachments
fitting.JPG
fitting.JPG (20.16 KiB) Viewed 4970 times
front view.JPG
front view.JPG (21.58 KiB) Viewed 4970 times
Steve
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Steve »

See pics of how TTG is fixed. This is such an easy solution and works well. You can still remove and refit the actual unit to the mount with the cable tie attached. Unfortunately I need to use it in 2 cars and until they sell additional mounting brackets, I have to cut the tie and then fit a new one each time I put it back in the Z.

Plus points - no wires (except charger cable for trips in excess of 5 hours) - really user friendly touch screen commands - no messing about with a PDA / GPS antenna / software / cables etc.

Minus points - screen reflections when roof down - no pre trip inserting of Way points (although software is being developed / improved all the time)

Would I buy one again - most certainly Yes ! :D
Attachments
TTG3.jpg
TTG3.jpg (39.15 KiB) Viewed 4927 times
cable tie can be fiddly to thread through the vent
cable tie can be fiddly to thread through the vent
TTG2.jpg (52.81 KiB) Viewed 4927 times
Perfect fit with no vibration and easily operated
Perfect fit with no vibration and easily operated
TTG1.jpg (26.1 KiB) Viewed 4927 times
Madeira Jon

BMW convertible

Post by Madeira Jon »

This is the bracket which holds my IPAQ to the central grill. There is a little metal button which comes with the pack which glues onto the back of the IPAQ and it just slots in. OK its a 3 series but the central grills are similar.

Got it from Ebay about £9
Even if the voices aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

The mounting kit I use for my iPAQ (see above posting for photos) had a vent mounting with it, but the fixings were slightly too big to go through the vents. Another vent mounting kit I brought with the iPAQ went into the vents ok, but looked too tricky to remove so didn't use it. I also played about with a phone holder, but the end the one in the photo works best. I didn't want to stick anything on the back of the iPAQ like the above posting
Desperado

Not specified

Post by Desperado »

Here you go, my universal mount that can be moved between any car and when it's all hooked up it looks quite neat... or so I think.
It hold the PDA rock steady and not once has it let go and thrown PDA around the car.

Just say if anyone wants any details.
Attachments
Cimg0664.jpg
Cimg0664.jpg (44.68 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
Desperado

Not specified

Post by Desperado »

The fixings
Attachments
Cimg0666.jpg
Cimg0666.jpg (20.72 KiB) Viewed 4864 times