Alpine Headunit

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
VinceR

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Alpine Headunit

Post by VinceR »

Hi,

After suffering with BMW's excuse for a headunit for a few months, I decided it was time to take it out & install a decent one. So after a little research (including reading up on many things audio on here) I went for an Alpine CDE-125BT & I'm pleased with the results. The iPod connector is in the glove box & the mic is at the mirror.

Although it does not look as integrated as the original unit, it (nevertheless) looks ok, it is not gaudy & the stock speakers actually sound pretty good with it. I will probably upgrade the speakers at a later date, but for now I'm happy enough, after all the roof is down more than up & I can now hear the music!

Even making a hands-free call whilst driving down the M3 (although driving maybe stretching it as I was stationary for at least half of the call) with the roof down was a simple affair.

A quick & dirty pic of the headunit in situ ..

Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

Mine's a CDE-103BT. Looks just like that.
No idea what the difference is with yours but I am very pleased with it.
I've found I can have a perfectly reasonable conversation with the roof down up to about 50mph. Over that is a bit of a struggle though :)
paulb1976

Post by paulb1976 »

It's also worth looking at the mini plug and play amp they do for less than £100. It's had some good reviews.
VinceR

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by VinceR »

paulb1976 wrote:It's also worth looking at the mini plug and play amp they do for less than £100. It's had some good reviews.
Just had a quick read of some reviews of this (Alpine KTP-445) & it looks pretty good, although not sure of the effect on the standard speakers! May invest in one & see.
J1SUA

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by J1SUA »

Nice. Just put one of these in bro's Z4

For quality and value its best HU under £200 with everything you get

Z3 1.9 | 17" ACS Style 2s refurbed in grey/silver | Debadged | New Rear Window | Retro fitted Fog lights | HID kit | Clarion slim sub | Clear side indicators | Colour coded handles | Halo Front lights | Hardtop | Winter 15" Style 27s on Vredestein Wintrax