Highly recommended compact sub

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
peteslag

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Highly recommended compact sub

Post by peteslag »

There have been many posts about different compact subs on this forum. With space in the cockpit of the Z3 being a bit tight it is hard to find something that doesn't compromise sound quality for size. I recently fitted an In Phase USW10 8" compact sub and couldn't be happier. It copes with anything you throw at it and fits nicely behind the drivers seat. I've never come across an 8" sub that punches bass out so well.

A definate :thumb: recommendation to my fellow Zedders!
Z3 3.0, Ford ST220, Jaguar XK8, Mr2 GT Turbo, Fiat Bravo HGT, Cavalier, Astra convertible, MK1 Astra GTE, XR3i, E21 323i, XR3, Cavalier, VW Jetta, Rover SDi, Capri 2.0S, Audi 80 GTE, another Cavalier, brown Astra van, Citroen GS Club (we all had to start somewhere).
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Some details

Want the extra punch of bass but don’t have the space? Then fear not, the USW-10 will be the answer you are looking for. The In Phase USW-10 is a revolutionary active subwoofer enclosure measuring a mere 69mm in depth and 270mm in diameter. This makes it ideal for placement in just about any location within your vehicle.

Do not be fooled by the compact design, this little number packs a heavy punch. With its built in amplifier powering an aluminium coned subwoofer, utilizing a max output of 300w this product is destined to impress.
In Phase USW10 features

•Maximum Power Output 300W
•Rated Power Uotput 100W
•Output Impedance 4 Ohm + 4 Ohm
•Crossover Frequency 50-100Hz
•Size: 270mm (diameter), 69mm (height)
•Weight (inc accessories) 4.8kg
•Phase Button (0-180 degrees)
•Remote level Control (5m)
•Aluminium Cone
•Ultra Slim Design
•Die Cast Aluminium Chassis
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
VinceR

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by VinceR »

Been considering installing a compact sub in my zed, but not being au fait with knowing what or how it all fits together, is this easy to install with stock speakers (no existing subwoofer) & an Alpine headunit? Thanks.
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

As long as the headunit has subwoofer pre-outs then yes it will be compatible (pre outs are the white and red connectors at the back of the stereo that allow the connection of cables such as: http://soundsheavenly.co.uk/2rca.jpg to link to the speaker amp), and you should be able to mount it behind the seats easily. I can't comment on how it is powered as I haven't seen one in person.
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

garythefish wrote:Some details

•Maximum Power Output 300W
•Rated Power Uotput 100W
•Output Impedance 4 Ohm + 4 Ohm
•Crossover Frequency 50-100Hz
•Size: 270mm (diameter), 69mm (height)
•Weight (inc accessories) 4.8kg
•Phase Button (0-180 degrees)
•Remote level Control (5m)
•Aluminium Cone
•Ultra Slim Design
•Die Cast Aluminium Chassis
•Price £.......?
Please update the detail above that we are actually interested in.... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
peteslag

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by peteslag »

Mine came with all the cables you need, apart from the RCA cable which is easy to come by. The head unit doesn't need pre-outs specific to sub bass, the unit contains a low pass filter that sorts all that out. If your stereo doesn't have pre-outs you can tap into the speaker wiring and use that for an input signal.

The wiring is very easy:

Power cable to battery
Earth to, well, earth
RCA cables and blue remote cable to back of stereo

This is the same for most subwoofers of this type. As for price, its no secret. Just google USW10 and you'll find plenty of online stores, I think Ebay do it for about 140 quid. I managed to get mine for 110 quid but I think it was a one of.
Hope this helps :)
Z3 3.0, Ford ST220, Jaguar XK8, Mr2 GT Turbo, Fiat Bravo HGT, Cavalier, Astra convertible, MK1 Astra GTE, XR3i, E21 323i, XR3, Cavalier, VW Jetta, Rover SDi, Capri 2.0S, Audi 80 GTE, another Cavalier, brown Astra van, Citroen GS Club (we all had to start somewhere).
VinceR

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by VinceR »

Thanks for the info., greatly appreciated. I'll look into getting hold of one of these, if maybe a 25cm focal unit. Cheers.