Audio Advice

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Gary Brown

Not specified

Audio Advice

Post by Gary Brown »

Zedsters

I am looking for some advice about a radio/cd player ('head units' I think they're called now :dunce: ) for my 2.0 Zed which is on a W-2000 plate.

Currently I have the standard BMW 'Business' Radio/Cassette and thought it would be easiest to put the BMW 6 CD Changer in the boot or change the head unit to the BMW Radio/CD player. (I've put wanted posts for both in Stock Exchange)

I'm not fussy about having a super duper stereo, just want to unplug one and replace it with the other. Thought the stock BMW one would be best because it matches the car's dash.

Alternatively, I see CD head units from places like Halfords, fitted, for under £100 (which would suit me just fine) but have heard / read stuff about BMW's not matching in with other make stereos, need mods, etc which sounds both costly and a hassle I could do without.

All I want to do is play some CDs and do it as cheaply and hassle-free as possible.

Any advice or ideas?
BartS
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by BartS »

Gary

It should really not be too difficult to change the current BMW R/C headunit and replace it by a branded aftermarket head unit.

I would personally stay away from BMW's own CD head unit. It is an area that car manufacturers and BMW in particular seem to be cutting corners. The quality of my head unit and speakers in my co car Audi A3 are even better than BMW.

A few points to bear in mind:
- A convertible was never designed to provide great accoustics from the head unit. If you want great accoustics, a drive behind Giles' CSL instead is much more recommendable !
- In the ICE market, there is a gradual movement away from installing CD-changers. Many people don not realise that having a 12 disc changer may represent a library of £300 in the boot and is for many thieves an in interesting thought. Added to the fact that research shows that many people never bother to change the contents of the CD changer.
- More importantly, even if you are not a technogeak, the market for a single head unit with MP3 playback facility is picking up very quickly.
advantages are:
- a single MP3 disc can contain approx 10 normal CD's hence no longer th need to have CD changer.
- MP3 quality, although by its very nature is compressed audio data, is very acceptable, certainly if you bear in mind my 1st point that cars/convertible were never intended to have the same accoustics as the Royal Albert Hall.

Have a look, here's the plug for my employers of course, on http://www.jvcmobile.co.uk and you'll find a nice array of CD head units.

All are totally easy to install, standard ISO connectors, and if you really want improved sound quality, I would recommend you change the cars factory fitted speakers, as they are not great.
Bart

a qualified - Northern Highlight - chuffin' nutter
Bestgear

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by Bestgear »

Hi Gary

I would just like to point out that your car will probably have an amplifier mounted behind the nearside front kick panel speaker.

If you fit any aftermarket (high power) head unit you or your installer will need to remove it and bypass it.

This is no big deal but I would suspect beyond the Halfords installer.... The wiring is freely available and its something you could probably do yourself with some care.

I agree that an MP3 headunit it the way to go... as long as you have a PC (stupid question) and time and ability to start ripping and burning your own compilations. I have no probs with that, but my wife still insists in raiding the CD's in the house and using them in her car - you get the drift...

If you are "happy" with the current headunit sound and CD's being your driver, I think I would keep the stock look and go find a changer on ebay... A change would be best for sound, but that puts you at the top of a slippery slope... the next move is speakers front, rear...ah, then a sub....

Its all good fun...

D
Gary Brown

Not specified

Post by Gary Brown »

Thanks Bart and DJ for all the good advice, certainly given me something to work with.
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Alternatively Bart - and this is a plug for your employers kit - you do the stupid thing and have an MP3 12 CD Changer in the boot - and one in the head unit too - you really never have to change CDs then - which equates to about 1900 tracks in my car - stoopid stoopid stoopid - but bloody great with it :D
BartS
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by BartS »

DavidM (King Of Chrome) wrote:Alternatively Bart - and this is a plug for your employers kit - you do the stupid thing and have an MP3 12 CD Changer in the boot - and one in the head unit too - you really never have to change CDs then - which equates to about 1900 tracks in my car - stoopid stoopid stoopid - but bloody great with it :D
David, yes but we know that you don't have a life outside your car :wink: :wink: you are the 1300+ saddo for a reason!

in all honesty you do have a nice set up in your car!
Bart

DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

BartS wrote:David, yes but we know that you don't have a life outside your car
Agghh - my secret is out
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

I don't think it is :lol:
BartS
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by BartS »

garyw wrote:I don't think it is :lol:
go on Gary spill the beans......
Bart

garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

Is that beans, as in Jamie Olivers Beans on toast at £8.00 :shock: :shock:
Surj
Z Register organiser

Porsche

Post by Surj »

Jamie bloody Oliver's gone and knicked our cleaner.

I'll give him beans on bloody toast :shock:
Gary Brown

Not specified

Post by Gary Brown »

Thanks for all your help guys, have now purchased a stock BMW changer on eBay but I'm pleased I now know to stay clear of that expensive bean seller and cleaner stealing Jamie Oliver. As for the veiled allegations towards David - I'd rather not know :D