Solar Charger

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
noZyet

blank.gif

Solar Charger

Post by noZyet »

Ok it's getting to that SORN time of year, and thinking of trickle charger for battery. Does it have to be one of those CTEK ones or will a little 4w solar charger permanently hooked be adequate?? Anyone any experience of these?? I see there are 1.8 watt ones also available? Thoughts/experience/advice appreciated - many thanks
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

I'd go for the CTEK charger if I were you. i use a CTEK over winter, & it's great. The main thing is that it is an "intelligent" charger, so it monitors what is going on with your battery & reproduces charge/discharge cycles to keep your battery in top condition.
I doubt if a solar charger will do that..
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Agree with the above, you can't beat a CTEK and for what they cost will pay for itself than forking out for a new battery next spring.

I have a solar charger for the mobile phone and its basically rubbish so I can't imagine how one would fare trying too keep a car battery on the go,

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

We've just had Solar PV panels installed on the house. They only generate power when the sun shines on them, currently (?) between 9 am and 6pm. They will generate on cloudy days but obviously significantly less and again only when in the line of the sun's rays.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

SCORPION wrote:We've just had Solar PV panels installed on the house. They only generate power when the sun shines on them, currently (?) between 9 am and 6pm. They will generate on cloudy days but obviously significantly less and again only when in the line of the sun's rays.
so you can only have the lights on when the sun is out.... :roflmao:

I have a solar powered torch like that :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

Actually it's not like that, if we generate excess power it feeds into the grid and in doing so winds the meter back so it's stored for night time. If we go on holiday we will end up with a negative consumption.This is normal if you have the old style meter. I suspect a man will knock on the door very soon and install a smart meter.
noZyet

blank.gif

Post by noZyet »

Ok, guys, being a bit of a skinflint - rather than buying one of these CTEK thingies and leaving it on all the time could I just have an ordinary charger pemanently hooked up and on a timer to charge say six hours once a week? - or doesn't it work like that. My sister is a tree-hugger and get's most upset about things left on all the time!!!
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

noZyet wrote:Ok, guys, being a bit of a skinflint - rather than buying one of these CTEK thingies and leaving it on all the time could I just have an ordinary charger pemanently hooked up and on a timer to charge say six hours once a week? - or doesn't it work like that. My sister is a tree-hugger and get's most upset about things left on all the time!!!
It would be worth going for the CTEK just too wind your sister up, although the CTEK would be on all the time it only conditions the battery and draws current when it senses the batteries voltage has dropped i.e. when the battery needs it. I doubt there would be much in it to be honest.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
hornel Z3M

blank

Re: Solar Charger

Post by hornel Z3M »

[quote="noZyet"]Ok it's getting to that SORN time of year.

OMG not that Sorn word again, you know what happens when you mention that, the sun comes out :drive