Wiring loom/connector for CD43

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Renaud

M roadster S54

Wiring loom/connector for CD43

Post by Renaud »

Hello All,

I picked up earlier this evening, a pristine CD43 from (top bloke) Hornell. The aim is to get the M looking like its been unmolested, but updated behind the scenes with help from a dice unit and some good hidden speakers.

Anyway, When I pulled out the crappy and very old aftermarket Sony unit, I found that original BMW connectors/loom had been removed and a Sony specific one installed. So, would any of you know what adapter or connector/loom i need to get so that I can plug in the CD43?

Thanks in advance

R
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Wiring loom/connector for CD43

Post by Robert T »

If it were done properly, there should be a BMW connector, into that goes a BMW to ISO adapter, then an ISO to Sony adapter. It's a bit like watching a magician pull a knotted rope out of there! :lol:

If the BMW connector has been cut off, then it is likely to be a bit of a barsteward to put back together, as it looks like the loom goes back a long way before you get to any connectors to replace it:

Retrofit kit, stereo system - BMW parts catalog

I think you are going to need to source a BMW connector and rewire it yourself - some are available as blank connectors directly from BMW if you can find the part number, then you can get some pins and crimp them on and put it back together - if it is not available as a separate part, you may be able to find an ISO to BMW adapter and butcher it to suit.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Renaud

M roadster S54

Re: Wiring loom/connector for CD43

Post by Renaud »

Thanks Robert,

In the background, I got some advice from another forum. I have now fitted it and got it working.

It was just me being a bit of a div, not realizing that the big lump before the ISO was actually the BMW connector with a sliding lock thing! :dunce:

Thanks for the advice anyway, the diagram is dead handy and I will save that for later reference.

Thanks again

R