No sounds on drivers side

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

As per title I don't have any sound on the drivers side of my car, front or rear :oops:

I bought it this way and haven't had time to look at anything yet so just looking for suggestions ATM. I should point out i'm not that big on ICE and generally stick with whatever is in the car TBH - hence why I though I'd ask before prodding around :roll:

The car is fitted with a Parrrot RKi8400, the one with clip on front and space behind front for i-pod/usb - I did get some audio keys with the car and assume they take out the Parrot cradle but thats as much as I know at this time.

Where to start and what are the likely causes ICE-men?
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: No sounds on drivers side

Post by msassoon »

I have the same one. Do you have an ISO connector fitted? The connector on this model is a bit fiddly when you push it in as it is a bit to big for the hole.
Cheers

Marc
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Not sure about that - had to google ISO connector too :lol: :oops:

Suppose i need to take the thing out and have a look - will update later.

thanks for the tip.
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

HELP! No sounds on drivers side

Post by chrisp_1 »

Ok so I took the audio keys outside with the intent of removing said unit, the left key glides in and doesn't seem to hit anything, the right key hits a screw immediately behind the entry point :head: With a bit of giggling I manage to get the right key around the screw and again it seems to hit nothing.

A gentle pull on the storage box and it slides out half way from the cradle but gets stuck :?

Tried inserting the audio key back through their holes to see what they're supposed to latch onto and at a total loss, they don't seem to have anything to catch onto.

Did a search on the net for the manual and found one, turned to page 8 (removal) and it shows exactly what I've done :?:

Heres a link to the manual anyway just incase anyone is looking for it.

http://wired-or-less.co.uk/downloads/pa ... _guide.pdf

Anyone able to tell me how to get the *uckin* thing out?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The way they are held in varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. On some the "keys" simply depress a spring clip and that allows the stereo to slide out provided you can get hold of it. On others the "keys" are used to pull the stereo forwards. The original BMW unit is actually screwed in! I'm sure it will be obvious once you get it out and can have a look at the cradle. One thing to watch for is that the ISO adapter can catch on the back of the cradle, and this may be what has happened. You should be able to get a hand up the footwell trim if you take the screw out.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
deutschemk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by deutschemk »

No sound on drivers side? Check theres not something lodged/stuck in your ear, lol :lol: I just had to.... On a serious note Alot of aftermarket stereo's require a fair bit of effort and what seems like excessive force to get them out, previous owner of my Z had squeezed an alpine stereo into my z before i bought it, it was like a sword and the stone encounter to get it out and took a fair bit of pulling to free it from the cage...not sure if the space is smaller in the Z or if its to stop folks easily stealin headunits but either way its a royal pain in the arse...

G
. Image
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Robert T wrote:One thing to watch for is that the ISO adapter can catch on the back of the cradle, and this may be what has happened. You should be able to get a hand up the footwell trim if you take the screw out.

Cheers R.
You may have a point there, I don't think the stereo is clipped-in to the cradle properly as it pulls out half way no problems (usually they lock only when they're fully pushed in IIRC). At the half way out point it hits a brick wall whereby the cradle starts to come out with it, but obviously the cradle is still connected to the centre dash console.

Can you describe the process of accessing the void from side/rear more fully please mate, I've not touched anything around the footwells as yet and shared knowledge may stop me breaking something inadvertently :rtm:
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

deutschemk wrote:Alot of aftermarket stereo's require a fair bit of effort and what seems like excessive force to get them out, previous owner of my Z had squeezed an alpine stereo into my z before i bought it, it was like a sword and the stone encounter to get it out and took a fair bit of pulling to free it from the cage...not sure if the space is smaller in the Z or if its to stop folks easily stealin headunits but either way its a royal pain in the arse...

G
As always,... If all else fails try brute force :lol:

Just need to be sure i'm not gonna rip the loom in half before I go medieval on it :shrug
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

That sounds like the problem I had - the cradle felt loose, but like it was going to come out with the stereo.

The side panels to the centre console extend down into the footwells either side of the propshaft tunnel. There is a screw with a cap on it which secures the side to the centre part of the console. If you remove the screw, the panel can be gently bent back just far enough to get a hand in. The portion of the console the headunit is in is pretty much hollow, so you should be able to slide a hand up (your third one if you have one) and lift the cable and connectors slightly and it should just pull out, along with all its entrails.

Cheers R.
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

thanks Robert, I'll give that a go in the morning - the symptoms are exactly as you describe.

Having looked at the wiring layout in the plug (pg5 in link above) I can't see how half the speakers would have no connection whilst the other half of the speakers [plug] does - I'm starting to think there must be either be cut wires in there from poor installation or there a knackered channel on the headunit :shake:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I guess at the connector not being inserted quite fully. :wink:

Cheers R.
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Robert T wrote:I guess at the connector not being inserted quite fully. :wink:

Cheers R.
I hope your right :!:
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Ok, so I unscrewed the side panels and stuck a torch up the gaps, wiring had been tucked away but it wasn't that catching.

I had a look round the farm sheds for a bit of thin plastic to insert between the head unit and cage, thanks the the old ford excort van which has a B5 size piece used to print ford safety advice - inserted below the headunit and above the cage and hey presto, tome tw*t had put up a couple of the tabs used to secure it to the dash :head:

Anyway :cheers to Robert I discovered the ISO connector was loose where it tucks into the original BMW headunit connector - thanks for the tip.

I've also realised the aerial connection is sh*t AND more interestingly there is bulb loose behind there that lights up with headlights - the three M gauges all have light so I can only assume this is from one of the heater controls or the original headunit?

ANYONE WITH ANY TIPS WHERE THE BULB MAY GO :?:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

You're welcome. I fitted the present stereo to mine myself, so I had a good look where things went whilst I was doing it.

There are two bulbs in there for the heater and fan controls - the original headunit would have been backlit internally. I need to do mine - one has gone intermittant and the other has died - it looks a bit sad in the dark. Fiddly job and you need small hands to do it, so I guess I am going to struggle. There is an article in the KB on changing them: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =18&t=8878

Cheers R.
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Cheers for the info Robert, excellent link than you.

I haven't had a proper look as yet but it looks like a real PITA :head:
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

I replaced my heater bulbs a while back using the knowledge base guide, had it done in less than 10 minutes. Don't be put off!
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Not to be put off I had a look this morning - not being able to see where said bulb was to be located I removed the heater control panel as per the guide.

Sod's law it was the one on the back right hand side :evil: so after much twisting of heater controls I managed to insert the bulb into it's holder, then realised if wasn't quite seated properly as the heat control mechanism was catching when rotated :bawl: second attempt managed to insert it correctly :o. Then put the heater control panel back together 4 the test and the Bas*ard bulb had blown/broken in the process :head:

Not wanting to repeat the exercise I stuck my hand up the footwell panel and found it easy to remove again (once I knew where to look/feel).

Decided it would be easier to remove same bulb from ashtray compartment, fit that in the heater controls, re-build and then replace the ashtray one another day (2x screws and lift out the ashtray to unclip the bulb). Alas that one's blown aswell - really should have checked before removing :roll:

A few phone calls to some friendly dealers and I managed to locate 1 in stock in York, which will hopefully be delivered and fitted to heaters tomorrow :lol: Got to wait for the second one to come from BMW UK.

I've also had to order fillister head screws and the little black caps that are missing from the trim panels following installation of the stereo - why do so many people think it's acceptable to half a job :?: :shake:
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

So one of the bulbs arrived this morning and was fitted within 5 mins via the drivers footwell, once you know where it is it's really not that difficult - however, I remember the first squint up there and I couldn't identify anything at the time - experience is everything on cars 8-)

Whilst in there I've re-routed all the stereo cables so the headunit slots fully into the cage without springing back and I even re-routed the microphone wire under all the trim panels below the steering column and up the weather strip of the a-pillar. Looks so much nicer not having wires hanging around your footwell :nerd: Does make me wonder who installed the fookin stereo and made such an arse of things and lost all the trim screws/clips/caps etc. Still awaiting £60 worth of assorted screws, caps, covers, trim and various cosmetic bits and bobs from BMW - they should arrive by the end of the week :D

Also took the r-numberplate surround off and sorted the rear panel with new double sided tape and tidied the boot carpet trim and checked the hood motor and valve.

Good days work thus far and to celebrate I'm having a beer :cheers

And :D whilst I type my Euro Car Parts [midmonth30] bargain orders have just arrived -

£53 for 8Litre of castrol edge FST 5w-40, delivered :lol:
£95 for 6 x NGK laser platinum plugs, Bosch oil filter, Hengst fuel/air filters and Bosch Aero twin wipers x2 :lol:

:sunny Bargain or what :roflmao: