To buy a SatNav or use iPhone or even use a Map??

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
jam_boy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jam_boy »

Hey everybody!

Im planning a 9 country european tour in 2 weeks time in the Z and Im debating to either buy a TOM TOM or download the app for the iPhone.

Pro's and Cons?

Any advise given would be much appreciated!

:rtm:
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: To buy a SatNav or use iPhone or even use a Map??

Post by XVar »

While the TomTom app for the iPhone is very good, I've found a major flaw with it. On the trip down to Croydon to get my new roof a few weeks ago it was a rare sunny day in England, around 26°C. It turns out that when an iPhone gets too hot, it dims the screen, which is a bit of a problem when you're using it as a satnav! It dims it so much that you can't see it at all, and only un-dims it once you lock it and leave it out of the sun for a few minutes.

Just something to bear in mind if you're planning on using it in warmer climates..
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Olly2012

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Olly2012 »

I've seen the TomTom app running on an iPad2 and I think it's really good because of the large screen area for display purposes. The 3d element was quite impressive and enabled you to drive ahead. And because it connects to google maps you can punch in short notice diversions like when someone calls and says can you stop at the supermarket and get something on the way home, it can quite accurately search for the nearest supermarket of your preference and you can add it as a
waypoint. I would imagine its just a bit cumbersome in a Z3 though as nowhere to put it really- they weren't designed with this technology in mind. You need a good solid cradle too whether it's iPhone or iPad. Another benefit is you're travelling light and whilst you can take either for a walk, the iPhone battery will drain quickly using the GPS as I've found out on other apps like runkeeper on my 3GS.

If your going down the satnav route then i hear Garmin provide lifetime updates in their price whereas with TomTom as I understand it you have to buy them.

I think I'd probably buy the Garmin or wait for an iphone with a slightly larger screen- if they go that way.

Hope that helps.
jam_boy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jam_boy »

Thank you guys, I saw the Garmain one on halfords website and that it does come with the lifetime updates. I think my decision has been made!

THANK YOU! :)
weedram

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by weedram »

I purchased a garmin 2595 lmt with european maps off amazon for £170 and £30 cash back a couple of weeks ago, its now £165. What a piece of kit, really good. I previously used copilot on an htc phone, no comparison. The 2595 includes bluetooth, traffic and upto date maps, costs extra for speed cameras.
Hope this helps :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
One Life - Zed it
jam_boy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jam_boy »

Hi WeedRam

Thank you it really does and you have sealed the decision for me!

12 days until my european tour kicks off!!! :D
Olly2012

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Olly2012 »

Glad we could help jam_boy. Enjoy your trip- hope the Garmin lives up to its billing! And give us some stories/pics of the Z on the trip. Happy travelling.
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

weedram wrote:I purchased a garmin 2595 lmt with european maps off amazon for £170 and £30 cash back a couple of weeks ago, its now £165. What a piece of kit, really good. I previously used copilot on an htc phone, no comparison. The 2595 includes bluetooth, traffic and upto date maps, costs extra for speed cameras.
Hope this helps :lol:
Don't forget you are not allowed Speed Camera warnings in France. Have a great trip.
jam_boy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jam_boy »

Thats great, I dont speed anyway :wink:

ill post pics up upon my return. once again thank you everyone
weedram

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by weedram »

Jam_boy
You can download a "dangerous areas" poi for france from garmin which gives areas such as railway crossings, schools and camera locations, better still you can download it for free on a one months trial. I'm off to france on Thursday, touring the alps, so if I find any problems i'll let you know.
Cheers
ImageImageImageImage
One Life - Zed it
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

That bottom slot looks suspiciously like the card slot on a cash machine! :shock:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I use a sat-nav all day, every day, but...

Unless you use sat navs for business (or you go to lots of different places) they make very little financial sense.

Do sat navs on phones dowload maps as req'd? If so, don't use a phone-based sat nav abroad unless you have cheap/free roaming charges.

Maps are very cheap and because you have to look at them, you notice interesting places to visit that you wouldn't know about if you only used a sat-nav. Remember a sat-nav is only any good at getting you from A-to-B. I'd be interested in what is around A, what is around B and what is inbetween the two. You will end up buying a map as well.

I've already got a sat-nav, but if I didn't I wouldn't buy one for just one trip. £50 on maps and £100 on beer sounds like a much better holiday.

Have a good time and don't forget the photos.
Pingu
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by msassoon »

I have used the Nokia Maps for some time and they are cracking. I tried Google Maps and was not so impressed. Anyway, the only thing I can warn away from is TomTom. The software on them is so bad it looks like a 4 year old wrote it. I am dealing with two of the blasted things for family and they are proving to be a nightmare. A software update has disabled the blasted aerial!
Cheers

Marc
weedram

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by weedram »

Before I had a satnav I used to use maps, they were called patnav.
It was very good and included voice navigation but it suffered with it's auto rotation. If we travelled north everything was fine but if going south its rotation didn't include the text and all the writing was upside down, this used to cause some right problems. It also had problems with its gps, sometimes I would be well past junction before it would tell me that I should have turned back there.
It also had in- built points of interest, these mainly included shops but excluded golf courses
Sometimes it was very good but sometimes it was moody and wouldn't speak at all particularly if I said that its directions were incorrect, it quite often told me to do it myself , that's when I got a satnav and peace descended for evermore :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
One Life - Zed it
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

msassoon wrote:I have used the Nokia Maps for some time and they are cracking. I tried Google Maps and was not so impressed. Anyway, the only thing I can warn away from is TomTom. The software on them is so bad it looks like a 4 year old wrote it. I am dealing with two of the blasted things for family and they are proving to be a nightmare. A software update has disabled the blasted aerial!
I don't agree. I bought a new TomTom Go Live 825 earlier this year to replace my ageing TomTom Go 720 and it is excellent. The Live traffic service is good and works well and I can use Google for various sites and services even when abroad without incurring roaming charges on my mobile. The route planning is superb and it can easily been seen and heard even in the wife's Crossfire. I've just returned from covering over 2,000 miles in France without a wrong turning, so I personally don't understand the criticism.

I deliberated long and hard before buying another TomTom instead of a Garmin, based on various reviews and reports that I read and eventually elected to stick with TomTom and am definitely glad I did!

I guess sat-navs are like cars and cameras. Some folk swear by BMW's and Nikons, others recommend Audis and Canons.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
mfckeith

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mfckeith »

msassoon wrote:I have used the Nokia Maps for some time and they are cracking. I tried Google Maps and was not so impressed. Anyway, the only thing I can warn away from is TomTom. The software on them is so bad it looks like a 4 year old wrote it. I am dealing with two of the blasted things for family and they are proving to be a nightmare. A software update has disabled the blasted aerial!

Can't agree about the Tom Tom,bought a 730 three years ago and have been all over UK and europe and its been brilliant
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Another vote for TomTom from me. Use mine for work in UK and Holland. Works a treat including traffic.

Cheers R.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

When they are working, sat-navs are brilliant and I couldn't do my job as fast without them, but they can go wrong. I've had this happen - and it can be a nghtmare. I got out of trouble by using a map and the directions on road signs.

Even a wet or torn map can still be read. A broken sat-nav is just another paperweight.

I'm a Tom-Tom man, but I've heard good reports about Garmin.
Pingu
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

Alfords are doing a great deal on some Garmin sat-naves at the moment ...... might upgrade my old tom-tom 500 .......
i use either my iPhone or iPod touch for the zed . works well through Bluetooth ..as when playing muzak it fades then instructs you them muzak back