cd43 requires mBus to iBus upgrade.

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
-Matt-

Z3 roadster 3.0i

cd43 requires mBus to iBus upgrade.

Post by -Matt- »

Hello all,

I am a new member who has just acquired a 2002 Z3 3.0. I'm loving driving the car; just wish we had a few more top down days lately! Whenever I get a new toy I like to take it apart and fiddle with it a bit!

Reading online I found that the cd43 (in dash cd player) was a good upgrade from the factory head unit and should be relatively plug and play. (It is not that cool to have a tape player these days! and the cd43 keeps the oem look). I found that there is a rover version of the cd43 that should be compatible with the z3 and I managed to buy one of these for just £20+£10 postage.

Well I plugged in the cd43 and it worked ok and did sound a bit better than the old "BMW business rds". The only problem is that the cd43 wouldn't connect to the cd changer in the boot.

After more reading online, here are my findings which might be useful to anyone else thinking of going down the same route:

I have established that the problem is that my "BMW 6 cd changer A" uses mBus for communication whereas the cd43 uses the new iBus standard.

On the currently installed "cd changer A" there is a round 14 pin din connector (with speaker connections etc) and a two wire power connector.

On the newer cd changers there is a 3 wire connector for power and ibus, and a 6 pin connector for the audio signals.
http://www.frankies-bmw.com/3series/diy ... grades.php

So in order to get a cd changer working with the cd43 I need to buy a new cd changer and run a different wire from the centre console to the boot. Buying a second hand cd changer would be pretty easy but running the new cable requires taking out the seats and lifting the carpet etc.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... lA&cad=rja

Importantly, my UK 2002 Z3 was not pre-wired for ibus. Apparently, post 96 3 series' (and perhaps z3's) in the US are already pre wired for iBus but it seems like the UK models never got this. (This caught me out as I was expecting the cd43 to be a plug and play upgrade).

So what is my plan going forward? Well, for now the old "business rds" is back in but it seems like it should be possible to make up a simple adapter that goes between the existing wiring and the newer style cd changer. (An additional adapter may be needed at the headunit end). This would eliminate the need to run a different cable under the carpet. I will need to study some wiring diagrams but the existing wire should already have enough conductors.

I would be interested to find out if anyone has attempted anything similar or has any advice.

Cheers

Matt
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: cd43 requires mBus to iBus upgrade.

Post by Jonttt »

Welcome on to the forum.

Interesting first post and will be interesting to see how you get on.

I was under the impression the rover unit was plug and play (most are sold as bmw units will a small ///m badge covering the rover logo.

The issue may have something to do with yours being a post 04/99 car which had updated electrics but I'm surprised this problem has not been raised before and your post I think argues the opposite ie the electrics are older ?

Most people take the easy route of upgrading the headunit to get mp3 playback so I applaud your desire to retain oem appearance.

There is a recognised upgrade retaining oem looks but it is not cheap = the Becker traffic pro and cascade units. The traffic pro was a rare option for the Z3. The cascade did not exist at the time but retains OEM looks with modern technology (sat nav, Bluetooth, iPod integration, hands free, mp3)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
-Matt-

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by -Matt- »

Hello Jonttt,

Yes, I had read about the Becker Traffic pro here:
http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/01/081501/becker.html

It looks like a very nice unit and I did consider this route but they still retain a fairly high price even on ebay. I was also worried that mounting the gps aerial might be tricky and felt that the navigation on my phone would probably be as good, if not better. By the way, I use the ioplay to connect my phone to the car sound system via bluetoth. I have the ioplay unit hidden in the otherwise unused ashtray. http://www.ioplay.co.uk/features.html

Interestingly on the "waycoolinc" site they mention the use of adapters to get the cd changers working (the Soungate ABMW35 V5):
http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/01/081501/ ... ility.html
It seems like I might have ended up with the same cd changer problem with the Becker unit. I need to investigate more about the Soundgate adapter.

Jonttt wrote:The issue may have something to do with yours being a post 04/99 car which had updated electrics but I'm surprised this problem has not been raised before and your post I think argues the opposite ie the electrics are older ?
I would be interested to hear more about what electrics were updated post 04/99.

The mBus interface is definitely the older one; newer vehicles have the iBus. According to: http://www.frankies-bmw.com/3series/diy ... grades.php In the US, post 96, 3 series' got the newer iBus. I think that later US Z3's also got the iBus. Since my car is a 2002 and has the older mBus, it seems as though UK Z3's perhaps never got this update.

A simple way to tell which bus you have is probably the writing on your CD changer:
"BMW 6 CD CHANGER A" = mBus
"6 CD CHANGER" = iBus

Perhaps the presence of iBus is not so much related to vehicle age but more to which audio package was specified at the original purchase; i.e. if you have the top Harman Kardon audio perhaps you also got iBus?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

The IOPlay looks like a neat solution.

The nav on the becker cascade is audio / arrows only but is fine for an emergency. The built in nav on my Samsung S3 phone is as good as I've ever used so your right there. However the iPod integration in the becker is the best I've ever used so thats when it comes into its own.

Mounting the GPS on top of the dash is easy to the get the cabling there. Even getting the mic to the rear view mirror area is pretty easy. I believe some have even mounted the GPS receiver behind the centre air vent area and still pick up a signal but I've not tried that as its pretty unobtrusive on top of the dash in the corner.

Re differences between american and euro spec Z3's there where some but I thought they where all mechanical and not electrical post 04>99. The HK may be a reason I'm not sure. Mine has HK but it had an aftermarket headunit and CD changer in the boot when I bought it. I've never removed the CD changer even though its redundant (must get round to doing that lol) so I'm unsure if it uses the original wiring or not (its a Kenwood unit).
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Matt,

Welcome.

You got it spot on with the mBus versus iBus changers. I did a lot of detective work on this a while back when looking into iPod adapters. The later Zs did get some of the iBus ,although exactly how much it still not clear. My 2001 ///M roadster came from the factory with the CD and has the little 3 pin connector (ground, power and iBus) in the boot, tucked up where the usual CD wiring would be. To get the CD changer working with it I would only have had to add the 6 pin cable from the head units and install the iBus CD Changer AI from and E39 or E46.

I did successfully add an iBus iPod adapter (Dice) to the CD and as I wanted the iPod at the front I went direct to the head unit using cable from Soundlinx, part number FWG506. If you can find this cable then maybe this is an option for you?

The iBus can do many things on other models (lights, windows nag), but since the later Z3s have kind of hybrid electrical system (part £36 and part E46) it is not clear how much you might be able to do. If you're interested have a search for "Hack the iBus". I bought the PC interface to do this once, but never got around to it. If anyone else here wants to try I could be persuaded to part with my iBus adapter.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
-Matt-

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by -Matt- »

Hi siwilson,

Your post has got me thinking... If BMW used the iBus in post facelift Z3's to control other devices in the car; then it would make sense that iBus to the boot is part of the main wiring loom. Although perhaps only ///M's got iBus?

Do you remember whether you have the three pin connector in addition to the two pin one? How well hidden was the three pin connector? It could be in there somewhere in the boot of my car! I took the boot floor and side panels out the other day but I didn't remove the upper covering; perhaps I should have looked a bit further. I'll try again at the weekend.

I did notice that the diagram on real oem seems to show three connectors on the cd changer wiring:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=65&fg=20
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

The wiring was bundled up where the cables come into the boot from cabin on the left hand side. If you pull the left carpet away you should see them. I only have the 3 pin and not the larger 2 pin power plug used for the CD Changer A. My previous Z3 (facelift 2.0 model year 2000) did have the larger power plug and the round 'din' type connector. BMW refer to this as being pre-wired for the CD Changer.

I have no idea why I have the smaller connector. It could be because my car is an M or maybe because I had the CD head unit from the factory. Interestingly though the cable on this small 3 pin is long enough to reach around the boot to the right hand back corner, which is where the CD changer AI goes on US models.
-Matt-

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by -Matt- »

siwilson wrote:The wiring was bundled up where the cables come into the boot from cabin on the left hand side. If you pull the left carpet away you should see them.
I probably would have seen that if it was there; I guess I don't have it.

siwilson wrote:My previous Z3 (facelift 2.0 model year 2000) did have the larger power plug and the round 'din' type connector. BMW refer to this as being pre-wired for the CD Changer.
I downloaded the original spec for my car (from the vin number) using this Russian site:
http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/
Apparently my car has:
Option S694A - CD-WECHSLER VORBEREITUNG - Provisions for BMW 6 CD changer
This is probably what you refer to and in my case this meant mBus wiring.

siwilson wrote:I have no idea why I have the smaller connector. It could be because my car is an M or maybe because I had the CD head unit from the factory.
Having the CD head unit from the factory seems the most likely reason. Perhaps all cd head units (like the cd43) use iBus. From the TIS article I posted above, it looks as though ///M roadsters would typically come with mBus. BMW would fit the iBus cable if they were asked to retrofit a cd changer. This could be because they only had new "AI" model cd changers to install.
BMW TIS wrote:Situation:
The I-Bus wire for the CD changer (from the radio to the CD changer) was not installed during production. If a customer purchases a CD Changer, the I-Bus wire must be installed.

Vehicles Affected:
Z3 roadster, M roadster, Z3 coupe, M coupe produced 9/98 - 10/98

Procedure:
Before proceeding, inspect the 3 wire connector which plugs into the CD changer. If the connector has 2 wires and a CD changer is to be installed, then this procedure must be followed. If the connector has all 3 wires, then this procedure can be disregarded.

All of this makes me suspect that, apart from the stereo, there may be no iBus devices in a Z3; but I would be happy to be wrong about this.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Matt,

The document you refer to is really specific to early (pre 10-98) US models. What they are saying in that doc is that cars with the smaller 3 pin connector (power, ground and iBus) had the iBus wire missing. Probably as an oversight since I have not come across a non iBus changer using the smaller connector. The instructions show the install of a single conductor between the head unit and the changer. This would suggest that either this is the only bit of iBus those models had or that this was the easiest way to get iBus to the changer. Most of what iBus does it so do with the computer, audio and nav control, which would all be at the front anyway.

Since mine is a much later car it makes sense that BMW addressed any oversight. It still doesn't answer why I have it when the CD changer AI was never offered a an option on UK models, but hey!

In addition to this small 3 pin connector you would also need the audio cable (6 pin connector) feed to the head unit. The standard route for this cable is the same as the one suggested in the install doc you linked to. Part number for this cable is 65128369853.
stupot50

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stupot50 »

You did well getting one for £20, I've been looking for one for a couple of months now. Some silly prices on fleabay :x
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped
-Matt-

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by -Matt- »

Just a quick update:

I stripped out the boot and I definitely only have the older style connectors.

I discovered that I have active speakers in the foot-well. (When using the io play the head unit needs to be on to send power to the amplifier).

I have ordered an ibus cd changer from an e46, ebay £35.

I have found various wiring diagrams and plan to make adapters for either end of the existing cd changer cable. The iBus signal (normally 12V, briefly grounded for pulses) will be sent down the unused conductors in the existing cable. There should be more than enough conductor cross sectional area of copper for this to be ok. I just need to get hold of the right connectors now. (I want to make this plug-n-play rather than soldering so that I can revert to the original setup if I want).

I will post more details when/if I can get this working.
HBmw3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by HBmw3 »

Hi Matt, same problem here. Did you solve this in the end?