Permanent power to head unit / Footwell speakers

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
russg84

Z3 roadster 1.9

Permanent power to head unit / Footwell speakers

Post by russg84 »

I've fitted a new head unit into my pre facelift z3 to replace the dismal non-OEM tape player that was in it when bought

This works just fine, but everytime I turn off the ignition the head unit doesnt return to its previous use (i.e cd track 6) in fact it has an initial setup everytime I start the car which is a pain in the ass. Is there any way of re-wiring or fitting alternative ISO adapter to provide permanent power to the head unit?

Also - I'm looking at replacing the footwell speakers with something with a bit more oomf. I'm not going to go crazy. What size speakers will directly replace the current standard ones (without having to modify panels or knock anything up etc)

Cheers

Russ
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Permanent power to head unit / Footwell speakers

Post by gookah »

Sometimes I have had this issue on cars where the iso connector or head unit has the permanent live and ignition-switched live reversed for some reason, so that it loses the memory each time it switches off.
You will be able to identify this if the unit can be switched on with the key out, because it shouldn't...! it should only power up when the key is turned.
Put a multimeter on to test them, and swap them over - It has always worked for me.

Can't help with the speaker sizes though I'm afraid..

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

6 1/4 " round in the footwells.... may need to do some minor drilling to relocate the 4 self tapper screw holes for the new speakers.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

As stated above, there should be both switched and permanent lives available through the wiring harness. The first thing I would check is for a blown fuse - F9 looks like the one that it the permanent live and F44 the switched supply - F9 also serves the amplifier and CD changer as well (where fitted). The connection switchover also seems pretty easy to check. After that you need to start checking the individual connections...

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
boustrophedon

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by boustrophedon »

I too have this problem, the car came with a nasty Kenwood unit, with a flashy demo mode that I can't turn off and it forgets all it's tunings every time I turn it off. It is a real pain to use too, with endless menus ans sub menus. It is being replaced.

Am I right in thinking that a 2000 model year 2.0 Z3 would have had an auto changer in the boot? As it is I have a large empty void in the boot I can't use for luggage, because of the "rigid carpet" surround. Who uses auto changers now anyway?

Has anyone found a way of using the void left by the missing auto changer?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

boustrophedon wrote:I too have this problem, the car came with a nasty Kenwood unit, with a flashy demo mode that I can't turn off and it forgets all it's tunings every time I turn it off. It is a real pain to use too, with endless menus ans sub menus. It is being replaced.

Am I right in thinking that a 2000 model year 2.0 Z3 would have had an auto changer in the boot? As it is I have a large empty void in the boot I can't use for luggage, because of the "rigid carpet" surround. Who uses auto changers now anyway?

If the stereo doesn't hold it's settings, than the switched and permanent lives are the wrong way around. As for the boot, you just need to the the carpet from a car that didn't have a changer fitted. In the meantime, just remove the upper carpet to free the space up.
boustrophedon

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by boustrophedon »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
boustrophedon wrote:I too have this problem, the car came with a nasty Kenwood unit, with a flashy demo mode that I can't turn off and it forgets all it's tunings every time I turn it off. It is a real pain to use too, with endless menus ans sub menus. It is being replaced.

If the stereo doesn't hold it's settings, than the switched and permanent lives are the wrong way around. As for the boot, you just need to the the carpet from a car that didn't have a changer fitted. In the meantime, just remove the upper carpet to free the space up.
Where's the best place for getting a carpet? As for the stereo, it's way too annoying to keep, going for something simpler and m ore understated.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

There used to be an optional OEM carpet which didn't have the "bulge" where the CD changer is fitted in the boot - rare as hen's teeth though... I might suggest you contact Andy aka Spurs Fan in a Coupe... he was the last person I recall having one for sale. Andy regularly breaks Z3's for parts, so even if he may not have one now, he might come across one at some time, or know of one for sale elsewhere... You can also simply cut the bulge out, and get a small piece of similar colour carpet to patch into the hole... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Bananasport

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Bananasport »

T bought mine from the main dealer about a year ago Just checked with Cooper norwich and they are still available but £73.50 well worth a check with a scrap dealer.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Southernboy wrote:There used to be an optional OEM carpet which didn't have the "bulge" where the CD changer is fitted in the boot - rare as hen's teeth though... I might suggest you contact Andy aka Spurs Fan in a Coupe... he was the last person I recall having one for sale. Andy regularly breaks Z3's for parts, so even if he may not have one now, he might come across one at some time, or know of one for sale elsewhere... You can also simply cut the bulge out, and get a small piece of similar colour carpet to patch into the hole... :wink:
I got mine from Andy. But in the meantime, I bought some grey carpet material (the sort of thing that people wrap around subwoofers) and used that, with sticky velcro to hold it in place:

peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I use the space left by the changer for swmbo walking shoes
peter2b