Z3 Hi Fi Speaker System (option 676)

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
sharkman07

Not specified

Z3 Hi Fi Speaker System (option 676)

Post by sharkman07 »

Hi, I hope someone can help please. I have the Hi-Fi Speaker system with original radio/cassette in dash and 6CD changer in boot. I want to change the head unit for a modern bluetooth unit, do I just need an ISO/DIN adaptor lead and aerial adaptor?

Thanks for any advice.
sharkman07

Not specified

Re: Z3 Hi Fi Speaker System (option 676)

Post by sharkman07 »

Anyone? I am about to order an Autoleads adaptor and aerial adaptor, but it would be helpful if anyone has done this before.
Bi11

M roadster S54

Post by Bi11 »

Yes (though I stand corrected if anyone else knows better!).

Bear in mind that the 6 cd changer won't work with a new HU though.
sharkman07

Not specified

Post by sharkman07 »

Bi11 wrote:Yes (though I stand corrected if anyone else knows better!).

Many thanks, yes I understand that, will remove it to shave off a few grams of weight :)
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Bi11 wrote:Yes (though I stand corrected if anyone else knows better!).

X2 on this

You may have to disconnect the small amp attached to the passenger side front speaker if you are using the existing speakers, my setup has all new speakers.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

If memory serves, you need TWO adapter cables - one to take you from the BMW connector to a standard ISO connector and another to take you from the ISO connector to whatever is on the back of the headunit. I don't recall having to fit an aerial adapter to mine, but that is likely not the case with all headunits.

The should be not need to disconnect the amplifier (assuming it is working) - you just need to connect the "remote control" wire to operate the relay inside it and power it up. If the sound is poor, then consider bypassing it completely. Note that there at least three standard speaker setups, so it does depend what is actually there.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
sharkman07

Not specified

Post by sharkman07 »

Robert T wrote:If memory serves, you need TWO adapter cables - one to take you from the BMW connector to a standard ISO connector and another to take you from the ISO connector to whatever is on the back of the headunit. I don't recall having to fit an aerial adapter to mine, but that is likely not the case with all headunits.

The should be not need to disconnect the amplifier (assuming it is working) - you just need to connect the "remote control" wire to operate the relay inside it and power it up. If the sound is poor, then consider bypassing it completely. Note that there at least three standard speaker setups, so it does depend what is actually there.

Cheers R.
I checked the factory spec of my car and it is the setup mentioned in the thread title, which is above basic but below Harman Kardon. I'm not sure if mine comes with an amp, but the plan is simply replace head unit and remove CD changer. Both are immaculate and fully working so may put on sale here if there is any interest.
mwpe

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mwpe »

I have just done this but my set up was standard not option 676. It was the original equipment BMW business radio and auto changer. I have fitted a Kenwood digital/FM radio with single CD, USB and Bluetooth. The change was straightforward, just needing the adapter cable, Ariel adapter and stick on digital antenna. Changing the head unit only took minutes. Everything works fine. :)
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

My Z3 also has the 676 HI FI option and I have just fitted a Becker headunit. I simply connected the Becker loom to the BMW interface and everything appears to be working as expected. The centre speaker between the seats still engages etc.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Yep, Hi-Fi and Harmon Kardon systems both have extra amps in the boot as opposed to that nasty little amp on the back of the speaker. Less hassle for an upgrade IMO. I have seen two types of ISO adapter used. The normal one that connects the speakers outputs and another that patches the RCAs form the head unit into the speaker lines to the amp. It seems BMW amps can accept both a line level and speaker input on the same line.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue