Front speakers - type/size/recommendations

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
z3lowey

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Front speakers - type/size/recommendations

Post by z3lowey »

I've changed my original business cassette head unit for a new Alpine unit and the sound quality is noticeably better.

Just wondering what others have done with their front speakers...?

What size are they, are they an easy DIY swap, what brand is recommended etc.?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Front speakers - type/size/recommendations

Post by Southernboy »

Half the problem with the front speakers is the lack of ears on human feet... :wink: The other problem is the speakers fit into a hollow space. Using sponge to fill the void behind the speakers is a decent solution to improve the output of the speakers. As far as speaker make goes - the best you can afford which will be compatible with the head unit.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Migou

Z3 roadster 2.5i

Post by Migou »

I have installed an aftermarket head unit. I was tired of the Cd's skipping over every bump. I installed 5.25 componet set up front. Granted the mid hitting your feet is not the best placement, if you put a good speaker in its place it will help out.

I didn't want to do any body modification to make something else fit. I'm also building a sub box to fit where the factory box sits. It will house a 8" sub. The amp I'm using fits in the factory spot. The carpet fits over it and you don't know it's there. I want a factory look. The only thing anyone will notice is where the sub sits. It will stick up a bit more, but should look factory when it's done, hopefully.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

A major problem with the foot well speakers is that the void into which they are fitted is literally sheet steel and consequently a fair percentage of the output is lost outside the cockpit. Some insulation behind the speakers fitted to induce any output into the car is likely to reward the general performance. In the same way a sub is "cushioned" in it's housing, the foot well speakers also need some.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Three Syllables

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Three Syllables »

Flashing Tape :D
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

I swapped my OEM footwell speakers with some speakers from the Rockford Fosgate Punch series p152 5.25". Value for money, but needs to be completed with a sub for the full experience. Fitted a 8" alpine sub on the passenger side footwell, hidden under a speaker carpet and the car mat. Got pictures on my page if interested.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p152

They fit behind the oem plastic footwell covers, so no need to cut or anything.