summer time - need better system?!

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
nicolawright

Z3 roadster 2.8

summer time - need better system?!

Post by nicolawright »

hey all,

i've been thinking about my first zed improvements. i think in order of personal preference

1. clear headlights upgrade - but have to wait until i find a pair!

2. stereo upgrade

3. cosmetic touches - maybe M gills!

4. strut brace - to be honest i'm pretty happy with the handling so this is less urgent.

With the weather improving i'm thinking of doing the same to the stereo. i'm not a person who needs to have the stereo blaring but i've noticed that the sound from my stock system isn't particularly clear or crisp.

i would like to improve sound quality without losing any space e.g. through amps, cd changers etc. I was thinking of changing the headunit and speakers - will this make much improvement?

I have a facelifted 2.8 roadster with BMW Business CD Radio system. I've looked in the manual but it doesn't provide any details for its specifications. What I would like to know is what headunit should I be looking for - in terms power, size etc to acheive my goal of clearer, crisper sound. Also how many speakers are there in the standard setup, what size are they and where are they? I couldn't find anything in the book about this.

I really only want to change the headunit and speakers but don't want to spend more than say £250. What do you guys suggest?

I've just realised this is a very long post - hope it makes sense!

thanks,

nicky xx
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

My preferance would be to just change the head unit, get a decent mp3 one. This is what I did when I changed my standard cd player. Most of the modern ones have bass enhancers built in as well as preset graphic equalisers etc, you also get auxilary inputs at the rear of the unit, handy for Ipods, phone kits etc.
The basic system has 6 speakers, 2 in the front footwells 4.5 inch ( I think) 2 in the doors but these are only tweeters, in the face lifted models there are 2 4 inch speakers behind the seats, on earlier models these were only 3 inch. The Harden Karmon system has additional speakers in the doors and has a bass sub woofer behind the seats where the storage box is, 10 speakers in all.
I didnt upgrade any of the speakers when I put in my new head unit as I felt the sound coming from them was good enough with the additional features the head unit has. I doubt I could tell any difference anyway if I had upgraded them, as my musical ear is not that critical. Besides once the M starts flying who cares whats on the stereo, would rather hear the exhaust.

There is a way round the clear headlights, there are threads on this forum which explain how to separate the lens from the back of the headlight unit using an oven. then remove the orange lens from the unit and put it back together again. Best to fit the silver bulbs though otherwise it looks like a fried egg.

M side grills, definate no no IMHO.

Spend the money on the strut brace instead its more use. You will be suprised just how much better the handling is with it than without it.
Paul.Stuhlfelder

M roadster S50

Post by Paul.Stuhlfelder »

Front speakers are standard 5" size, anything will be an improvement!

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/index.p ... =24_25_277

Head unit wise, I think one of these would suit a Z3 dash -

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product ... ts_id=2381

You can't get much better for that price! You'll need a BMW>ISO adapter, but don't get one from an online shop, you can pick one up off eBay for £3.

If your car has rear speakers (move the seat forwards to check) then these are 3" I think.

You'll probably be looking at about £300 for the above and a decent pair of speakers though. If you ever needed more power (i.e. An amplifier) it gets a bit more complicated as the only real place for a amp is in the boot and getting wires into the boot is a pain in the ass, the only saviour is the fact that the battery is in the boot and not under the bonnet!
Israel pulls out of Gaza Strip, Gaza not Pregnant!
Paul.Stuhlfelder

M roadster S50

Good point tony with the tweeters, if you upgrade the footwell speakers you'll need to run dedicated wiring to them as the other set probably only get a LF signal instead of the full spectrum. The downsite is the fact that the tweeters are also now down at your feet.

Don't even consider component speakers unless you have an amp, a head unit simply doesn't have the power to run them.

I think the ///M grills look ok as long as you don't keep the ///M badge on them!
RussJ

M roadster S54

Post by RussJ »

An alternative place to put an amp is in the passengers footwell, up against the bulkhead.
If I remember correctly there is a large lump of foam which can be discarded so you keep most of the legroom
I was a bit worried about overheating but never had a problem in 4 years. Might be more of an issue if you listen at really high volumes for long periods.
RussJ

M roadster S54

Post by RussJ »

An alternative place to put an amp is in the passengers footwell, up against the bulkhead.
If I remember correctly there is a large lump of foam which can be discarded so you keep most of the legroom
I was a bit worried about overheating but never had a problem in 4 years. Might be more of an issue if you listen at really high volumes for long periods.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Hello

There are two 5.25" in the footwells and some 2.5" and 1.5" tweeters in each door. There are some small rears too as above.

The problem many people have with hifi upgrades if there is an amplifier on the passenger side speaker.
Check this thread for some pictures viewtopic.php?t=4548&highlight=door+speakers

If you want to, change the stereo first then wait to see if the speakers need changing, as the doors would need rewiring for the tweeters. I'd recommend a Becker Mexico Pro (www.becker.de) from eBay.de with ipod compatibility. Or a Blaupunkt or Nakamichi if you like they can look right too.
Change the speakers and keeping the BMW headunit is a bad idea as the headunit is plainly underpowered even with £250 Rainbow Electronics speakers, it's not going to sound better.

YOu'll need a BMW ISO adapter too
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-ISO-Wiring-Lo ... dZViewItem

Check out my install for some front speaker alternative tweeter mounts. Yesterday while testing the handsfree I've just put in a chum said out of the blue "wow those speakers image Really well." viewtopic.php?t=6551&highlight=
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
nicolawright

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by nicolawright »

thanks for the quick post.

if i did get the m gills, they would definitely be debadged as kiwi has done, i personally think they look great.

viewtopic.php?t=6470

so the speaker setup is basically:

2 x 5" -in Front Footwell

2 x 3" or 4" - Behind the seats

2 x Tweeters - In the doors

What exactly do tweeters do? would it be worth replacing these? are they necessary or could you simply swap them for a pair of speakers?

Paul, I do like the design of the headunit you posted. i already consider maintaining the zeds looks as paramount in any decision. in terms of power do you think 50W is the right range to go for? i definitely want MP3, DAB and perhaps Ipod connectivity but is there anything else which is important in choosing a headunit? Or if you just get a well known brand then that's fine.

Is removing the faceplate still the best security measure to prevent theft and break ins? Or do headunits come with new security features, which i'd should be on the look out for. I'm worried that zeds are particularly vulnerable with the soft tops on.

thanks again for advice!

nicky xx
Paul.Stuhlfelder

M roadster S50

Whenever you read power outputs for a head unit, ignore them.. a head unit will never give out 50db ;)

The pioneer unit has a face that pops down (so you can put cd's etc in) and then you can pop it off to take away, it also needs a code entering if it looses power.

I've got a Becker Mexico Pro in my car, mainly because I thought the Retro dash in the ///M and especially with it been a red dash needed a subtle look, yet Tags who has an Estoril car with a blue dash can get away nicely with a silver stereo.

I had one of those Pioneer headunits in my old Alfa Romeo spider, so I know from personal experience that they're nice pieces of kit.

Tweeters give you the high frequency notes. You can't really upgrade seperately unless you go down component speaker way, but the crossovers zap too much power for use with a headunit (unless you go active, but this again delves into Amp territory!)
nicolawright

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by nicolawright »

pretty confusing all this speaker stuff! but thanks for the posts guys.

let me see if i've got this straight -

1. so if my front footwell speakers have little amps on them then i will need to get new front speakers and have them wired to the headunit? is it easy to check whether front speakers come with an attached amp?

2. if the front speakers are replaced - then the tweeters will need to also be rewired to the headunit?

3. but the rear speakers can be swapped without any major re-wiring.

i should point out that i have no intention to doing anything of this installation myself. i lack the skill, knowledge and patience for this kind of thing! so any fitting will be done by an expert. as long as this changes don't overly effect the look of the car i'll be happy!

just on the whole amp issue, i don't want to get involved in the cost/hassle of installing an amp but i'm not sure whether changing the headunit and speakers is worth it? i just wonder whether will the sound quality improve enough to merit the expense..

hmm still need to think about this...

nicky xx
tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by tags »

I had a brushed silver Kenwood head unit in mine, which was backlit in blue, looked ok on the blue dash / chrome rings etc. That was a nice setup, Mp3, tilting display, removable fascia, aux-in etc.

But then i changed it. I have now put in a Car PC, running Windows XP with a 7" VGA touchscreen mounted in the dash. I wouldn't recommend this kind of setup at the moment though. Car Pc is still in its infancy and has a long way to go.

I would definitely recommend a strut brace,

Tags
Attachments
kenwood_head_unit.jpg
kenwood_head_unit.jpg (44.47 KiB) Viewed 8256 times
P10304152.JPG
P10304152.JPG (59.67 KiB) Viewed 8256 times
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

nicolawright wrote:1. so if my front footwell speakers have little amps on them then i will need to get new front speakers and have them wired to the headunit?
I'd PM that to those who have unluckily stumbled on the sow's ear factory implementation.
nicolawright wrote: is it easy to check whether front speakers come with an attached amp?
So it would seem considering the heat and light on the subject. PM some members who have found they have this amp.
nicolawright wrote:2. if the front speakers are replaced - then the tweeters will need to also be rewired to the headunit?
Yes - actually the tweeters and woofers run from a passive crossover and that goes to the headunit. It is the brown ISO lead and can be bought too and rewired to prevent any cutting. More on that below.. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-CD-Radio-ISO- ... dZViewItem
nicolawright wrote:3. but the rear speakers can be swapped without any major re-wiring.
1/The cavities are so shallow replacing them is a PITA (Boston Acoustics don't fit, MB Quart do and Pioneer TS-A1086, I have some Mac Audio Reference that might fit with cutting) and 2/All they do is sound 'weird' runing the stereo sound. I use mine for the phone carkit.
nicolawright wrote:i should point out that i have no intention to doing anything of this installation myself. i lack the skill, knowledge and patience for this kind of thing! so any fitting will be done by an expert. as long as this changes don't overly effect the look of the car i'll be happy!
!Danger! Sextons, halfrauds Grr, they cut and chop the factory loom to save money, bodge and glue bits in. Oh they've funged a few cars I've come across to save a fiver on labour/an adaptor. My Z3 included - they've been at the doors :-( I've seen one 'proper' car stereo shop (london) do a half baked job too. Find someone you can say 1/"cut the factory loom then I'll cut off your ears "2/"While you're in there, I want no squeaks or rattles in my Beemer and I'll pay some more for it, how much more?"
nicolawright wrote:just on the whole amp issue, i don't want to get involved in the cost/hassle of installing an amp but i'm not sure whether changing the headunit and speakers is worth it? i just wonder whether will the sound quality improve enough to merit the expense..

hmm still need to think about this...

nicky xx
I'll read up on this amp and post later! It won't be too difficult!
nicolawright wrote:But then i changed it. I have now put in a Car PC, running Windows XP with a 7" VGA touchscreen mounted in the dash. I wouldn't recommend this kind of setup at the moment though. Car Pc is still in its infancy and has a long way to go.
Tags what touchscreen and mapping software do you use and can it support FM TMC traffic reports?
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by tags »

estocks,

screen is Xenarc 700IDT. I have used a few different sat nav packages, Navigator - probably best so far, also freedrive / map monkey - not bad and can both be embedded in dashboard software. But, none of the pc sat nav packages are as simple or easy to use as Tomtom. So, my latest solution is Tomtom running in landscape mode on my SPV M5000 which is then plgged into car pc and with Pocket Controller Professional i can control the phone/tomtom sat nav from the in dash touchscreen. Like i said previously car pc has a long way to go. Re: TMC, i think it all depends on your gps adaptor. Mine doesnt pick up the signals. I think there are also 3rd party apps that can show the info.

Tags
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

OK as your car is post 09/1998 it'll have the amp. As siwilson says whip out the speaker and amp.
If someone knows how the crossover to the tweeter is positioned you may be able to use parts BCD from the factory kit. Note bable from B to C goes through the door. To connect you need details for where the factory wire D goes to. Wish for it coming off the little speakeramp for Left n Right. This image shows where in the car the boxes approximatly might be positioned.
this is the traditional system. You will have to buy at the least parts ABCDE. You will want to put part B on the dash or windscreen pillars.
Edit: two possible tweeter mounts
nicolawright

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by nicolawright »

thanks for the detailed posts estocks!

i've already got excited about choosing a new headunit. becker comes highly recommended and so do pioneer head units.

i'm thinking about the Pioneer DEH-80MP as it has a complimentary look to my car and has great features.

http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/product_ ... _id=25-121

then again, becker does do a bluelit unit which might work

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... /4458.html

hmmm...

nicky xx
Attachments
InsideZ32.jpg
not my actual car (i lifted the picture from this forum) but my interior is similar.
(183.37 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
dehp80mp_large.jpg
seems like a good product
(41.35 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Paul.Stuhlfelder

M roadster S50

Just a tip -

Some people have had no problems, but a LOT of people have had problems with Car Audio Security, I'd keep away.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

nicolawright wrote: i've already got excited about choosing a new headunit. becker comes highly recommended and so do pioneer head units.
Becker are factory fitted in Porsche, and Mercedes/BMW retrofit Becker, Pioneer are not as bad as Panasonic and cheapline Sony's.
nicolawright wrote:
then again, becker does do a bluelit unit which might work

nicky xx
Paul.Stuhlfelder wrote:Some people have had no problems, but a LOT of people have had problems with Car Audio Security, I'd keep away.

These guys have the same price. http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/index.p ... 3ac6971e72

Car Audio Discount www.caraudiodiscount.com offer the full Becker range for browsing, but not any Discounts :head:
nicolawright

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by nicolawright »

right think i'm narrowing this down now..

i think the best headunit for me, would be the Becker Mexico Pro 7939.

the other unit i'm considering is the Pioneer DEH-P70BT which has bluetooth capability. i think this is a really useful feature and something i would use a lot. i've always wanted to integrate my mobile into the car and i don't want the unsightlyness of additional boxes, cradles etc. it seems that the deh-970BT is alone in offering this compatibility.

i prefer the stock looks and uncomplicated design of the Becker. but the Pioneer does have those additional features.

hmm it's a toughy, reminds me of when i was deciding to go for a high spec 2.8 or lower spec 3.0... :)

nicky xx
britton

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by britton »

I have that pioneer head unit and it really is good. I just get in the car and both my phones automatically connect to the head unit, don't even have to take them out of my pocket. You can transfer your address book to the head unit as well and make calls from it!

All in all, worth every penny
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

nicolawright wrote:
the other unit i'm considering is the Pioneer DEH-P70BT which has bluetooth capability. i think this is a really useful feature and something i would use a lot. i've always wanted to integrate my mobile into the car and i don't want the unsightlyness of additional boxes, cradles etc. it seems that the deh-970BT is alone in offering this compatibility.
nicky xx
Becker Traffic Pro 7955 (£524 from with MP3, iPod ready, GPS Navi and BT) http://www.raysmith.co.uk/product_info. ... ts_id=3111
Parrot Rythm and Blue http://www.parrot.biz/united_kingdom/pr ... hythmnblue (£170 and probalble the same terrible french plastic as the car kit I broke, EXCELLENT SOFTWARE support ;-) )

ROADSTAR CD-804MPBT CD/Bluetooth car radio (£109 Pixmania) http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/86201/a ... ?srcid=867

Ministry of sound MOSCA061 (£99 from MoS) http://shop.ministryofsound

Clarion with BT add-on 80 colour display (£169 on eBay) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5866900655
Or the greeat looking Pioneer (£259 with MP3 and DAB control) as Nicky said. Image
Mr Tim

Z3 roadster 2.8

hi Nicky

Post by Mr Tim »

hi Nicky
which colour LED do you want i have Becker Indianapolis 7920 orange LEDto match the dash great bit of kit

Mr Tim
Attachments
Picture 197.jpg
Picture 197.jpg (143.37 KiB) Viewed 8093 times
Mr Tim

Z3 roadster 2.8

and in the dark

Post by Mr Tim »

LED on
Attachments
Picture 199.jpg
Picture 199.jpg (137.4 KiB) Viewed 8090 times
Mr Tim

Z3 roadster 2.8

then

Post by Mr Tim »

then get some of these
Attachments
Picture 198.jpg
Picture 198.jpg (150.49 KiB) Viewed 8085 times
nicolawright

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by nicolawright »

tim, i was thinking a blue lit unit would compliment my car nicely. i agree the becker unit fits your zed perfectly. shame bmw couldn't have made them standard!

estocks!! that Becker Traffic Pro 7955 is perfect, the design, the features and the sound quality. but it's so expensive! i'm not sure what to do - maybe i could sell my tom tom go 300?!

although the other units carry bluetooth, i doubt they offer the same sound quality of the becker unit.

i think that's me decided then either the Becker Mexico Pro 7939 if i'm lucky or a Becker Traffic Pro 7955 if i'm really lucky! :D

nicky xx
Mr Tim

Z3 roadster 2.8

ok Nicky

Post by Mr Tim »

hi Nicky
try e-bay keep an eye on it, thats where i got mine. and there great the sat nav is just fantastic none of them grap maps just push the button and it shows me were i am all the time even if a route is not running or i am listening to the Radio

Mr Tim
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Can these Becker Headunits with SatNav control the BMW cd changer?

Gazza.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Nope, and most of the connects2.com stuff is for adding (Sony, Alpine) Changers to your BMW Headunit.
http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/01/081501/ ... rofaq.html

And the Changer control is used for the £70 ipod adaptor.

In the middle is the round multi-pin cable fo the becker changer. It looks like the Alpine Ai-Net and Sony control and audio Bus too. The red and white and mini-ISO are shown too. Anybody know why the mini-ISO is needed too? And the red and white wires!

The changer has many wires! Image

Anyway what is the BMW fitted with?
636mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by 636mick »

Nicky, some ebay stuff. Becker gear is relatively cheap on there at the moment. I got mine from ebay, seller in cardiff, arrived quick, was cheap and works a treat.

Mick.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Becker-Indianapol ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Becker-Mexico-Pro ... dZViewItem

http://motors.search.ebay.co.uk/becker_ ... sacatZ9800
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

estocks wrote:And the Changer control is used for the £70 ipod adaptor.
With a BT (Bluetooth) enabled iPod the Becker Indianapolis Pro 7955 can BT into the iPod.

You'd be wise to read the pdf manual to see if the track name and button controls came over the BT link, via the SPP (Serial Port Profile) :?: .

Also the 7955 features twin tuner TMC (Traffic Message Channel via Classic FM) with UK compatibility (if you replace the Navi CD yearly) - cutting edge :mrgreen: .
nicolawright

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by nicolawright »

mick, thanks for the ebay options.

i guess i've got a couple of choices now:-

1. Get the new Becker Indianapolis 7955 - around £550
Everything I want, BT, IPOD enabled, super unit!

2. Get the new Becker Mexico Pro 7939 - around £269.99 installed
Great unit, latest designm IPOD enabled etc
+ Maybe get a Parrot BT £95 installed

3. Get an older Becker Mexico Pro/Indianapolis - £200-320
Great value, solid units, maybe not compatible with latest becker ipod connections.
+ Maybe get a Parrot BT £95

4. Stick with the bmw unit. Free, yes. But :bawl:

5. Wait for the Becker 7955 to fall in price. But I want something now so again, :bawl:

6. Rob a bank - fit a new amp, sub woofer, becker 7955, m style gills, front strut, clear headlights..... :D
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

nicolawright wrote:
6. Rob a bank - fit a new amp, sub woofer, becker 7955, m style gills, front strut, clear headlights..... :D
Go for it!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Gazza.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

nicolawright wrote:
i guess i've got a couple of choices now:-
So far you've shown enviable restraint :twisted: doitdoitdoitdoit
nicolawright wrote: 6. Rob a bank - fit a new amp, sub woofer, becker 7955, m style gills, front strut, clear headlights.....
Ger thee Tomtom300 on ebay - the return is £260!
nicolawright

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by nicolawright »

hey all...

finally in position to start ordering some equipment. unfortunately, i've had to give up on the becker unit. i've been looking for one for the past month and they crop up on ebay from international sellers but they tend to go for at least £250. if i get some decent speakers and then have it all fitted the whole system is going to be too expensive..

there is one thing which i still don't understand. in all zeds are the tweeters in the doors and not in the footwells? does this mean that the standard speakers are comps (albeit rather poor ones)? i'm not amping the unit so was thinking of getting coaxials, but then i will have two tweeters?

i would be grateful if someone could clear this up for. it just doesnt seem to make any sense?!

thanks,

nicky xx

p.s. i will be taking the hardtop of this weekend and i can't wait!! :D