Installation Ease

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Taz

M roadster S50

Installation Ease

Post by Taz »

Hi,

Like everyone else here I want to sort out my 2 bob stock system. How easy is it to replace the 3" rear speakers with 4"? Is there some cutting involved?

Also how easy is it to get wiring from the amp in the boot through to the cabin?
estocks

Not specified

Re: Installation Ease

Post by estocks »

Taz wrote:Hi,

Like everyone else here I want to sort out my 2 bob stock system. How easy is it to replace the 3" rear speakers with 4"? Is there some cutting involved?
?
yes there is http://www.mz3.net/articles/219.html http://www.mz3.net/stereo.html
Taz wrote: Also how easy is it to get wiring from the amp in the boot through to the cabin?
Yes simply go through into the roof shelf via the only grommet. There is a factory loom on the right in the boot behind the grey carpets - push the new cable up next to it and the shelf carpet moves. Getting at the new cable on top requires pulling the shelf carpet up a little by the seatbelt reel and getting a hand in there. Feed enough cable through and it may peek out to grab onto.

My two pence; build some adaptors that allow you to use meaty 6.5" in the front and unwire those anorexic rears.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Taz

M roadster S50

Post by Taz »

lol@anorexic. Thanks for that I didn't have a clue if there was gromit to feed wires or not. I suspect it's fairly simple to feed the footwell speakers with amped cable too?
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

I bought flat (Litz construction - worth it) (they call it Hyperlatz to avoid copyright) cable at £1.49/m from Richer Sounds. It can be pushed up under the plastic door sills or centre console and has proven excellent audio quailities. It is cheaper that the stuff car audio shops try and shift without any shadow of doubt it's most suitable. A final year project of my coursemate concluded :nerd: "It's just copper :rtm: ...so buy thick and the technology is in the cable sheathing material and cross section geometry" (not verbatim). Try and solder where possible.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Taz

M roadster S50

Post by Taz »

Thanks I will give it a go. I bought my home audio cable from richer sounds great service. Did you use stock cable for the tweeters? also how easy is it to mount an aftermarket cd changer?
Paul.Stuhlfelder

M roadster S50

Post by Paul.Stuhlfelder »

Getting the cable through can be a pain in the ass. I ended up removing most of the plastic between the rollbars to get the job done.

Not bothered with the rear speakers on mine, but as estocks says, go for something big up-front like I did :D

http://www.cymrudigidol.co.uk/mroadster ... l_ring.php
Israel pulls out of Gaza Strip, Gaza not Pregnant!
tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by tags »

Arc welders, grinders etc.... Wish we all had a full warehouse of tools and gadgets at our disposal. Good work Paul.

Tags
Taz

M roadster S50

Post by Taz »

Great job! don;t suppose you have acouple of spare adapters you made earlier :lol:
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Taz wrote:Thanks I will give it a go. I bought my home audio cable from richer sounds great service. Did you use stock cable for the tweeters? also how easy is it to mount an aftermarket cd changer?
viewtopic.php?t=6551&highlight=
Paul.Stuhlfelder

M roadster S50

Post by Paul.Stuhlfelder »

tags wrote:Arc welders, grinders etc.... Wish we all had a full warehouse of tools and gadgets at our disposal. Good work Paul.

Tags
I'll have to start renting it out to people who want to have a bash at things :D
Israel pulls out of Gaza Strip, Gaza not Pregnant!
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

tags wrote:Arc welders, grinders etc.... Wish we all had a full warehouse of tools and gadgets at our disposal. Good work Paul.

Tags
Paul I notice the grinding seems a little too easy to need to use two hands ;-) :lol: