CarPC for Roadster, any insights on installation?

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Erha

Z3 roadster 2.8

CarPC for Roadster, any insights on installation?

Post by Erha »

Okay, I'm not totally green on PC's or ICE installs, but I was just wondering if anybody had done a nice CarPC installation on a Z3. I saw one installation on a CarPC-site, but it was pretty tacky.

The thing is, I recently bought a iPod Video 30Gb to install to my car stereo system. However, after using it for a while, I think the user interface is not that good, especially for car use (I wouldn't use a stereo that has controls for iPod, but was thinking of using the iPod itself with just AUX IN). So, I decided to buy a 8" TFT VGA Touchscreen. That's a start for my CarPC.. :) I'm planning on using an old-ish laptop to try the frontends and such before putting together the final setup. Oh yeah, and I bought a USB-RF-mini remote to control WinAmp from center console without looking.

So, what am I really looking for? At this point, mainly a nice 8" Wide-screen format TFT installation. I haven't test-fitted the screen yet to see if it would fit partly in the heater vents, if I took those out and used some fiberglass to form a body for the installation, and naturally cover it with some dash-looking vinyl. But this is the preliminary plan, anyway. Having removed the console once before, I'm sure I'll be able to fit the computer itself within there. It'll just need to be all setup for permanent installation, as the removal of the console is not a 5-minute job...

Any insights will be appreciated. :)
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Try www.mini-itx.com they can sell you a car PC that starts/resumes/standby with the ignition, and can regulate the fluctation in DC supply that would toast a PC. Also see www.mp3car.com for other installs and a shop. Also check out tags's and fixer's threads viewtopic.php?t=6598&highlight=carpc viewtopic.php?t=5691&highlight=carpc If you wait a while Liliput have a motorised touchscreen coming that fits properly and looks OK and has an easy to use FM tuner too http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_inf ... cts_id=206 8-)
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Erha

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erha »

Thanks! I actually just test-fitted the screen today, and it would fit in the space of the airvents just nicely. I still have to try it out, though - as it only has a 12-volt input, I haven't been able to turn it on yet. Prolly have to try in the living room next to the window so I'll see how readable it is in the sun, as well as seeing the usable viewing angles.
Dudster

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Dudster »

Hey! I am just about to do the same thing as you. Need to have it ready by july as I am going for a three or four week roadtrip. I have purchased a new centre console on eBay so I can play around installing everything in that console instead of hacking up my existing one. It is nice to be able to revert everything back to stock should I wish to sell the car.

I am planning to fit a 7" Lilliput touchscreen as shown in the picture with the red outline. Will fit the VIA Mini-ITX mainboard, PSU, 2,5" HDD, GPS, bluetooth and USB hub behind the monitor. Like this:

http://mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread. ... double+din

Will ditch the DVD player, have no need for it though, hence no need for the swivel thing. But I like the complete bolt in solution. Will integrate everything into the dash I think, if there is space. Do you have any photos of the space behind the console?

Let me know how you progress. I will try to keep this thread alive too when I start. Would be nice to learn from and inspire each other.
Attachments
IMG_0159_resize.JPG
IMG_0159_resize.JPG (77.13 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
The 7" Lilli will go in here. The climate controls will be moved to where the running computer and switches are. The running computer will be relocated inside an armrest console and the switches will be relocated close to the window switches.
The 7" Lilli will go in here. The climate controls will be moved to where the running computer and switches are. The running computer will be relocated inside an armrest console and the switches will be relocated close to the window switches.
IMG_0159_resize 1.JPG (48.31 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Check put this LCD mount if you don't want to fabricate one. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Navigationskonsol ... dZViewItem
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Dudster

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Dudster »

For me it is a big no. It blocks the main vents for the hot air I need flowing when I drive with the top down in -4 degrees C!!! :-) It is either being cold or fabricating...
Erha

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erha »

I would imagine you get fed up of -4C top down driving quite quickly, so don't plan anything based on that. At least when I had my previous zed, the minimum for top down was pretty much +15C. Or maybe I'm just not roadster-minded enough.. :D
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

Dudster wrote:For me it is a big no. It blocks the main vents for the hot air I need flowing when I drive with the top down in -4 degrees C!!! :-) It is either being cold or fabricating...
Try lowering your hood in -4C....... You'll find a big crack in your rear screen as the plastic will have become brittle and will crack when folding!!

If you're a regular visitor to this forum, you'll have seen plenty of threads on this issue!
Dudster

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Dudster »

BimBeema wrote:
Dudster wrote:For me it is a big no. It blocks the main vents for the hot air I need flowing when I drive with the top down in -4 degrees C!!! :-) It is either being cold or fabricating...
Try lowering your hood in -4C....... You'll find a big crack in your rear screen as the plastic will have become brittle and will crack when folding!!

If you're a regular visitor to this forum, you'll have seen plenty of threads on this issue!
Hehe, yeah. Pepe sleeps in a heated garage at night. The garage holds a temp about 10-15 degrees C+ during the winter. I drove top down almost all winter, but one day I cracked the rear window. Next year I will lower the top inside the garage. It is a great thing taking in the winter with the top down. I know I am a bit weird in this manner, but hey, I love it.
Erha

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erha »

Good for you! I agree on you being weird. ;) Well, I prefer riding my snowmobile in the winter. I would feel weird putting on my neopren-mask and my goretex riding gear with the Zed and driving top down in the snow. :D
Erha

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erha »

Just started thinking further on cutting the HVAC panel etc, but I just can't figure out where you would fit all of that stuff then. The HU, the HVAC controls, the buttons...? And besides, isn't the angle a bit upwards on that panel, so it would make it even harder to see in sunlight? I'm not sure if that would be impossible anyway. I was thinking of making the housing with a small "visor" that could be pulled to give a little shade to the screen in an "emergency" situation. I was also thinking of making a black&white skin for the CarPC frontend to give it a bit more contrast.
Erha

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erha »

estocks wrote:Check put this LCD mount if you don't want to fabricate one. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Navigationskonsol ... dZViewItem
I looked closer at this (on a bigger picture http://www.carhifidirekt.de/catalog/ima ... 292225.jpg) and that wouldn't seem half that bad of an idea. Main reason being, that I don't like fiberglass fabrication that much, so if I would be able to do an OK looking installation without having to mess around with it, and maybe even keep one air vent, then why not. And besides, with that out of the way, I would be able to concentrate on the real problems of getting the CarPC to actually work. :D
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

BimBeema wrote:

Yeah we have really exhausted that one! :lol:
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Erha

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erha »

Found some interesting pics on a German Z-forum. Dudster, you might want to check these out:

http://www.zroadster.com/galerie/showga ... ppuser/181
Erha

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erha »

I don't know if I overlooked something, but how did you do the 12V power on that PC, tags?
tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by tags »

My car pc is for sale on ebay at the minute if anybody is interested. Ignore the ebay bit about me selling the car, that was just for ebay. The real reason i am selling is that i am returning the car back to stock. I will do a new car-pc build in my second car, renault laguna. I have had this pc set-up in the Z that only really i get to see/use. So thought i would stick one in the scond car that everybody could use. The good thing about the renault is i have much more space and that gives me countless more options than i had in the Z.

The ebay auctions for anybody interested are;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

Heres a thread on the car pc that i started last year.
viewtopic.php?t=6598

Tags
tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by tags »

Erha...

Hi,

On this pc, it is not 12v. The power requirement for this pc is 19v. You need a specific kind of power supply. Not one that just provides power, but it also starts up the pc on the turn of the igintion and shuts down the pc into hibernation after a set period of time when you turn off your ignition. I had a Carnetix P1900 startup/shutdown controller. That gave me loads of power options, 140w, main voltage selectable from 12v / 13.8v / 18v / 19v / 20v and a scondary voltage of either 5v / 12v. You can see the one i had at www.linitx.co.uk look for Carnetix P1900.

Hope this helps.

Tags
Erha

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erha »

Bump! :)

Turns out that I'll have a spare Thinkpad X40 with 1,2Ghz Intel M-processor, 512Mb of memory and 40 or 60Gb HDD. There's practically everything built-in in there, except for the 8" touchscreen which I also already have separately.

So, I'm thinking I would install the screen with one of those "navikonsoles" to the dash, and install the laptop in the trunk. I have the IBM original car power adapter for the laptop, so I could run that through a relay directly to the battery. The relay would be switched on when the car is running. This way, I could easily prevent the laptop from draining the battery, just use the power management to switch it off after a certain time period when it's running on battery.

Switching on could be handled so, that I just wire a secondary switch in parallel to the docking station's power switch - this way I don't have to slaughter the laptop itself at all.

Now, I would be interested in some insights on how to get the wiring through from the trunk to the dash? I have removed the center console once before, so I don't need instructions on that, but info on how to pass the wire through to the cabin would be appreciated.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

To get into the car from the boot (trunk) there is a large grommet in the shelf where the roof stows. Follow a wire from the battery and it goes there. Pass a lot of wire into the shelf area. You may have to use a scraped hand to reach under the shelf carpet and grab an end.

Have you thought about how behind or under a seat may suit? you colud get something like one of theseto hold it in place, Or ou could make a pocket with new carpet. There is a lump of foam behind the carpet that could be removed to make a little space.
Erha

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erha »

Thanks, estocks, I'll have to check that wire from the battery. Regarding the under/behind seat, I think the Thinkpad with it's docking station is too thick to fit there. I do have the parcel net right there as pictured on the mz3.net article, but I think it would make an awfully ugly installation. I want to make it as neat as possible, i.e. no wires hanging out or so.

I already took apart the air vents and checked how the navikonsole-thingy would install, and it looks good. I think I might place an order on one of those soon. You can also easily draw the wires from the screen in there, behind the air vents and from there, inside the center console.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Getting wires from the centre console into the shelf areaand over from the grommet is not so easy. Consider running them down the door sill on the grommets' side.
Erha

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Erha »

Alright, the project is pretty much stopped now. I've spent a dozen of evenings fighting with various issues, be it the software, hardware, or the physical installation... And now I've had enough.

A word of warning for anyone considering the "Kuda navikonsole" (http://www.carhifidirekt.de/catalog/ima ... 292225.jpg), the instructions suck ass, they pretty much say "Take out the air vents. Put in the navikonsole. Put the vents and the konsole back". Well, it's not too hard to figure out how it's supposed to be installed, but the thing is that it doesn't really work that way after all. You would need to knife your dash in order to get the air vents stick onto their original clips after installing navikonsole, and even then, it wouldn't hold a heavier panel unless you glued or screwed it on.

In addition to this problem, which I would have been able to solve, the following problems made me give up:
-Even though the screen is good in contrast (better than the standard Lilliputs), it still is pretty much unvisible in sunlight and there's no way you can correct this in a cabrio, other than buying a +500€ screen with special coating
-My best spare laptop (2Ghz, 1Gb, 100Gb) is still under warranty, so I don't want to open it and solder any wires to the on/off -button to be able to make it automatically start when the car's ignition is on. Yes, I've spent numerous nights researching, and with this (Travelmate 3004wtmi) laptop there's no other way to do it.
-The fooking software is so shitty (Freedrive, MapMonkey, GaroNav), that it'll never match a real navigator, at least in here in "rural areas" of Finland. It's not just the maps, but the software itself. The usage sucks, especially on GaroNav, and in addition to this, they keep crashing. I'm sure this would be possible to improve, but still.

Yep, I think that's it. I'll probably sell the stuff I bought for the carputer, and get a new headunit that plays MP3's off of DVD-R's. For my navigation needs, I'll probably have TomTom Mobile on my new Nokia E70, with a 2Gb SD-card.

On a retrospect, some of you could say "what did I say"... Well, I did know that getting a CarPC up and running would be lots of work, and it was, but in the end I had touchscreen-controlled music, videos and GPS in my car. Still it was disappointing, and would require lots more work to make the installation neater and the carputer more reliable. And still, I wouldn't be able to overcome the problem with the screen visibility or the auto-on. I don't have enough time or interest anymore for this, so I'll let the CarPC-scene mature for a year or two, I don't think it'll be much longer that we see a Sony-headunit with an integrated PC...
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Bad news about the console :head: Did you try Navigon Mobile Navigator?
I have TTMN5 on a smartphone, it is very good, you can reroute around traffic very quickly and it is very informative about the next juction even for a small screen.

The downside is the volume of the navigation voices means the stereo must be rather quiet, I can sometimes make the bluetooth carkit connect and speak the voices but that is due to a tempremental bug in Windows Mobile.

Have you looked at selling the laptop and buying a motorised touchscreen navigaition for Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine or a 1-DIN Nav from Becker?