First Generation Speedster Cover

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
G-Man

Z3 roadster 1.9

First Generation Speedster Cover

Post by G-Man »

Hi folks! I have been trying to find a first generation speedster cover for eleven years. Anyone know of any for sale?

Thanks.

G-Man
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Hi G-Man and welcome to Zroadster!

By 'Speedster cover', I assume you mean the hard plastic (or fibreglass) cover that fits over the roof when it's down, with the two 'humps' behind the headrests? A very retro look!

This forum is UK based and primarily aimed at a UK and European owners, (although everyone is welcome, of course!) and the speedster covers were not at all popular here.
I believe this was mainly due to our unpredictable weather (I don't think you can fit the speedster cover anywhere else in the car if you need to put the roof up quick?) but also because the vast majority of Z3 owners really didn't like them!
Most seemed to think that they spoilt the sleek lines of the Zed, and considering the ENORMOUS price BMW wanted for them new, I'm not aware of anyone that actually bought one! I've certainly never seen one in real life....and I've met hundreds of Zeds from all over Europe.

Sorry to put a downer on things..... :oops:

Hopefully you might just be lucky, and someone's got one gathering dust in a dark corner of the garage....

Good luck!
A.
csw0001

blank.gif

Post by csw0001 »

i quite like them aswell, but the asking prices for them are propostrous!! heres a linkey, scroll down http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... en%26lr%3D
some other really good items on there aswell. Hope your germans better than mine.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

899 Euro doesn't sound too bad! I'm sure it was listed at more than that in the accessories brochure!

Daft question time: Have you tried BMW themselves? Yes it will be expensive, but it will also be new and shiny.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

"Fixer" a forum member brought one a couple of years ago...photo here viewtopic.php?t=4893&highlight=speedster+cover
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Seriously - have you tried BMW. The cover is listed on RealOEM.com here. Price is given as $891.68 and it does not say unavailable. It also implies that you need the hardtop mountings - presumably in order to secure it. I know that the picture shows a post-facelift Z, but the hardtop fits both pre- and post- facelift Zeds, so I would presume that the speedster cover is the same. Note that there is nothing in the from/to date columns which would back up this theory. I have entered my pre-facelift 1.9 in the vehicle details to get this. No mention of colours - but it probably has to be ordered with a colour code. I'll have a check in my accessories brochure to see what it says, as I think the photo in there was of a car without roll hoops.

Cheers R.
G-Man

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by G-Man »

Thanks gang.

I have a 96 which doesn't have the roll bars. The cover I can get from BMW is only made for 97 and newer with the roll bars in place. The first generation was longer and covered the rear glove box.

I'll stay in touch with you guys anyway. I'm always looking for information about my car. She's eleven years old with 138,000 miles on her and runs like a kitten.

G-Man
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Roll hoops were an optional extra up until the facelift - my '99 doesn't have them. The very early cars cannot have them fitted, but I don't think that affects the speedster cover.

According to my accessories brochure the part number of the cover you want (for vehicles up to 04/99) is 82.15.9.405.696 and it states that it is for cars without roll hoops or a wind deflector. Doing a search by part # on RealOEM brings me to this page. This shows part #1 as being the combined set of everything you need, including the mountings and trim (which I think are the same as the hardtop) - the speedster cover would not seem to be available separately. The price is given as $1088.10. I would guess that the tarpaulin is an optional extra as it is listed separately.

Again, the part is not marked as unavailable, so you *should* be able to order it from a BMW dealer and fit it yourself.

For those of us in the UK, the price I have in my brochure is a whopping £925, but I think that does include the tarp!!! :shock:

Cheers R.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Oh, if memory serves, the US got roll hoops as standard before Europe. The part cross reference shows that the speedster cover is for both US and Euro cars.

Note that when I looked for the speedster cover I only found the first one. It was only because I had the part number for the second one that I found that. BMW dealers use a slightly more advanced version of RealOEM, based on the same data, so it might just be that they can't find their a$$ with both hands! :wink:

Here's hoping you manage to get one!

Edit: Some additional info - this is version 1 of the cover. The part use shows all the early cars excluding the ///M (1.8, 1.9, 2.0 and 2.8) - I'm not sure why it doesn't fit the ///M. It looks like it is supplied unpainted as this is what the additional info says:
BMW wrote:INSTALLATION TIME APPROX. 3,0 HOURS.
ALTHOUGH THIS MAY VARY DEPENDING ON THE
CONDITION OF THE CAR AND THE EQUIPMENT
IN IT. THE AREA FOR PAINTING = 80 DM^2.
TYPE OF FASTENING: BOLTED AND GLUED.
The weight is about 15kg if you were to have to get one shipped.

The latest UK price I have is £1048.38!!! So that's a pretty naff exchange rate we're getting!!!!

Cheers R.

Available in the US!

Post by Guest »