Z3M on pistonheads

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Z3M on pistonheads

Post by Hang_em_high »

A very nice low mileage M on pistonheads for very nice money.Tempting.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1264831.htm
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Yep very nice.

Great find as its advertised in the wrong section :head:

Its a "facelift" post 04/99 production ///M so has the extra roof lining :D

Needs a fresh MOT though as due in April :wink:

I think if you could get that for £8.5k ish its a great buy :rtm:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Looks nice and with lowish mileage, great buy for the mileage and condition :)

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
SP30

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by SP30 »

Hi Guys,

Have been to view this car, lady owned but a neighbour is selling on her behalf as she is stateside!.

1. Electric roof inoperative.
2. Windows don't work.
3. Air-con faulty.

Otherwise a nice car, very hard to do a deal because as I say the owner has left the country and a neighbour is selling.

Could be genuine but to me if in doubt walk away.
Murf

M roadster S50

Post by Murf »

Strange to leave a car of considerable value to sell with a neighbour! :?

It was for sale before Christmas if I remember correctly as it just popped up after I bought mine.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Not really, I worked abroad before on extended contracts and been faced with the delima do I or don't I sell the car. Part of the problem is you often need it up until you go so have limited opportunity to sell.

I've left cars sitting on relatives drives for 9 months before now :wink:

My current car was owned by an american who had gone back and left his brother in law to sell.

Re the "problems" they should be excellent bargaining chips and pretty easy fixes (may even just be a fuse?). The aircon is probably the biggest issue, regas fine at c£80 but new compressor and your talking c£500 fitted.

If the car is otherwise sound these would nto put me off at the right price :D

....and the longer its for sale the more cheeky the offer. I'd be tempted to offer £7,500 take it or leave it "give me a call if you want to sell it for that" (ie list the problems, new roof mechanism £500, window actuators £250, air con compressor £500, MOT due £?, etc... :twisted: ). They then have a fall back and you could get a bargain low mileage car :D I would take a chance on the MOT and use this as well "you know you will need to MOT it soon to sell, I'll take it off you know as is" :D

Easy for me to say without seeing the car but this is defo one I would have been interestd in when I was looking :wink:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Who needs aircon in a cabrio anyway? :devil:
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Jon thats very optimistic infact almost insulting to the buyer (no offense)!!!!!, £7500 is well under what its worth...imo its already under valued, if you are serious about it I'd snap it up before someone else does, assuming that is there isnt anything dodgy going on?..at the most i'd try £8500 which i think isnt too offensive. Cars under 40k seem to demand serious money
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Shanty, your too polite :wink:

I got my current car for £2k less than the guy wanted, but he had already gone back to the USA and after 2 months of trying to sell was desperate to sell :D

I agree if you really wanted to guarantee the car then you would need to offer more but I think an asking price of £9k with maybe a new compressor needed plus they could not be bothered getting the windows fixed or a fresh MOT means I would be offering less than £8,500.

The £7,500 would be a cheaky bid, I don't mind being "insulting" to a seller ie I don't know their circumstances. If they are desperate to sell they would get less than that from a dealer /auction so I would actually be doing them a favour and given them a viable option.

If they are not desperate and they tell me to sod off, I'm thick skinned. Its just business and I would only be putting in that bid as that is what it is worth to me, I'm not bothered what its worth to them.

To clarify I'm not interested in the car, I'm just passing on my thoughts for what they are worth :rtm:
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Yeah I see where you are coming from, I just don't think I could be cheeky, if you walked away with this for 8.5 or under it would be a hell of a bargain :)
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

shantybeater wrote:Yeah I see where you are coming from, I just don't think I could be cheeky, if you walked away with this for 8.5 or under it would be a hell of a bargain :)
Thats how dealers make their money :wink:
Murf

M roadster S50

Post by Murf »

This one could be a bargain if you don't mind high-ish miles :D

On the S54 register?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Z3M-Z3-M_W0QQ ... 1c0f5c314f
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Yeah spotted that, only problem (other than mileage) is interior color
Murf

M roadster S50

Post by Murf »

Black and grey isn't the best interior colour admittedly!
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Murf wrote:This one could be a bargain if you don't mind high-ish miles :D

On the S54 register?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Z3M-Z3-M_W0QQ ... 1c0f5c314f
Looks like a bargain indeed, but the drab, bland colour scheme :bad would put me off more than the mileage.
Got to be the worst ever.
On a cloudy day, you'd never be able to find it....

I'll have a look later if it's on the list.

A.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I'm sure that was for sale from a dealer 6 months ago for £9,995 ie same colour combo and c100,000 miles. Seems to fit in with seller only doing 1,800 miles in it.

I think its well priced if sound ie c£4k less than a lowish mileage S54 (ie 50,000 miles) and about same price as lower mileage S50. I think the seller has got the price spot on for a quickish sale.

I actually don'tmind the colour combo. I know several people who don't like the blue/black, red/black combos so I think this would appeal to quite a few eg I would prefer it to all black and I think you can get away with it on silver :wink: (pity no internal pics though)

If the engine is sound and good service history I think this is a very reasonable deal especially if you looking for a long termer and second car doing c5,000 per year in it = perfect for the price :D (+ just been MOT'd and hopefully no advisories)

This would definately have got my interest.

As the depths of winter pass by there does seem to have been a couple of potential bargains recently but all in all to someone in the right position as a second fun car I think this is the best I've seen for a while :D
Murf

M roadster S50

Post by Murf »

Have you noticed how that Z3M advertised as a 3.0 that was available for £6k has vanished and another one with the same miles, year and with hard top has appeared for £3k more? No pictures yet but bit of a coincidence!

http://www.tittyhomotorcompany.co.uk/13 ... d-cars.htm

The garage I bought mine from has got an S54 coupe in - will have to check it out as mines going back in for some minor warranty work in the next week or so :)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Thats a different garage isn't it?

Post up details of the coupe when you can, the guys at z3coupe will wet themselves :D
Murf

M roadster S50

Post by Murf »

It is - but if I remember the thread correctly it was due to go to auction if not sold. Bought at auction by that dealer? Although what price is anyones guess! Hmm I have too much time on my hands :)

Will be sure to check out the S54 when I pop down - seems a good price at £14k with warranty and an all black colour combo.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Yep, you could be right :D
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Is it Spokey that has dealt with the tit people before or am I imagining it? :lol: :lol: :lol:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Murf wrote:Have you noticed how that Z3M advertised as a 3.0 that was available for £6k has vanished and another one with the same miles, year and with hard top has appeared for £3k more? No pictures yet but bit of a coincidence!

http://www.tittyhomotorcompany.co.uk/13 ... d-cars.htm
When I inquired about it Evans Halshaw said that they were about to send it to auction but kept it back so I could go and look at it LINK. They said that if I was seriously interested I would have to leave a £100 refundable deposit as other dealers had approached them about the car so it may not even have gone to auction.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
SP30

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by SP30 »

Right Chaps,

Went with the view of buying the Z3M (31,000miles)@ £9000, that the original post was about today....

Forgot my check list the first time but the car looked so good and straight thought i'd found a bargain... however...after checking the boot welds...shock of my life they weren't rusted they had popped clean off.

The car has a very full history ie: serviced every 4-6months from new with stamps...but not all Main Dealer.

What do I do? any advice would the main dealer repair it? is it worth a £6000 even in this condition?

Cheers Guys.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Not sure if this one has been posted up before? but at that price given the repair has been done properly, potentially nice buy?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1359169.htm

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Taz-Devil

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Taz-Devil »

that green one has been on for a few weeks now
could be worth a look pity not in uk now to have a look :head:
SP30

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by SP30 »

What to do with popped boot welds??????????????

The z3m I looked at had them, do I touch it with a barge-poll?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

SP30

I had a similar dilemma to you late last year, spotted an ///M but it had the same problem, unfortunately the car was also an import and had a bad history so I left alone.

If you can factor the repair into buying price of the car then once repaired you will have a really nice sorted ///M. There is a possibility that you could claim through BMW but that would be a calculated risk and may take a little time. More and more people on here are getting their cars sorted by BMW F.O.C.

If you are able to secure the car for £6k? you would have a budget to repair the car (balance of the £9K asking price) but hopefully you will not need this. Would I take the risk if I were in your position? I think I would. :)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Sp30, I agree with the above, for the right price and an otherwise sound low mileage car I would still buy for the right price.

The BMW FOC repair would be a bit of a lottery in terms of quick resolution as I am aware BMW has stated that they ahve "cut back" on their "goodwill" repairs. I still think there is a very sound case for BMW to repair this known fault FOC just may take some patience / time.

As a back up Randy Forbes in the USA has the best recognised repair and he will send as a kit to the UK and it can be fitted by any competant garage.

I assume from your description that the 3 visible spot welds at the rear left of the boot have all "popped". It is therefore possible that more have popped that run down the left edge under the sealent. If there is no sign of this sealent being disturbed then it is not worst case (ie the floor has not torn). I would get the diff bracket inspected. If this is also "torn" then it is pretty advanced and will need attention (ie as the diff tears / welds pop, the stresses are increased causing further "twisting" damage / tears). If the diff bracket looks ok then it is still a probably a "mild" case and the car could probably be driven for a number of years will no ill effects to drive etc.... Note that it is hard to inspect the diff bracket properly unless its on a ramp / you can get under properly with a light.

If you did get this car for the right price and got the rear sorted you would end up with a really nice ///M and as I found with mine add a great selling point when / if you come to sell the car.

The difficult thing would be judging what is a fair price.

I think pointing out all the faults, air con, windows, MOT, and boot it is worth leaving a bid of £7k to £7.5k ?

Any higher than that and to be honest I think the S54 high mileage if in good nick is the better buy, unless it will be your daily driver and you do >10k pa ?

To be honest this is why this forum is so good, it allows you to go into a deal with your eyes open and crucial decisions already made so whatever decision you make you can have no regrets later :wink:

Would be nice to pick up for £7.5k and BMW do FOC repair during this year :wink:

I could put you in touch with several people currently in the same position (ie more chance in numbers ?)

ps did you drive it and was it your first ///M experience ?
Last edited by Jonttt on Sun 17 Jan, 2010 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Just checked the info Randy supplied me, current as of 2 weeks ago.

Complete structural steel package required for installation be bodyshop is $540.This includes shipping in the USA but Randy has confirmed he would give 20% trade discount on parts + shipping to UK. Not sure what that would work out at as the $540 includes USA shipping but gives you a rough idea of cost.

If you want more details you are probably best contacting Randy direct (he is a member on here or I can pm you his email address).

I presume if you need a new diff bracket that is an additional cost but I know Randy recommends the "double ear" M3 bracket. Again you would be better entering into dialogue with him direct.

Again as I said before I think first prot of call should be BMW but nice to know there is a tried and tested solution.

Plus Deano has a DIY post on here if your handy with a welder :wink:
SP30

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by SP30 »

Thanks for the input Jonttt,

but don't forget the roof mechanically is past its best and could require a new motor! >£500

I have offered £6500 for it as is, I will let the offer sit for a while and make some inquires of my own. Thanks for the info about the American off the shelf fix.

Don't want the hassle to be honest so I have instructed the seller to try and get it fixed at BMW.

I will let you know what the outcome is....but the car is so very good looks like it's done a couple of hard laps around the Nordshleife ripped the diff off then sat in a garage for 10 years getting serviced every 6mnths regardless of cost.

Honestly everything looked brand new but the 3x large holes in the boot wiped the smile off my face big time..

Never mind.

I used to own an E36 M3 evo and a friend at the time had a brand new Z3m so I know how they go and handle.

My friend was most scathing when I told him I had a Z and it wasn't an M he seems to think they are a much better car than the standard Z? Haven't seen much proof of this as mine is a sport with thicker anti roll bars and uprated suspension.

Is the ZM in a different league compared to the non Z? :shock:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

SP30 wrote: Is the ZM in a different league compared to the non Z? :shock:
yes and no :D

The problem is like most of the BMW range now you can get almost equal performance in everyday driving (in a straight line traffic grand prix) from a non ///M (eg 540i compared to M5, 135i, 335 compared to M3) BUT they are not ///M cars which definately have a different "feel" and persona.

The big question is "is it worth the extra £" ? for most it is not but that to me is what makes an ///M all the better, it keeps it relatively exclusive and what a lot of BMW drivers "aspire" to drive. (eg if you offered an ///M or non ///M car cost aside I'm sure most would take the ///M car, put price in there and the decision will change).
PNF911

blank.gif

Post by PNF911 »

saw the aforementioned "weld popper" car today, prior to seeing this>
vendors mate has reasonable back story to why he`s left dealing with it and also showed me the welds straight away,,,,,,says he`s left a message with BMW to try and start a `claim`......i wished him luck !

maybe more worrying is that the first stamp in the service book is at approx 6k miles....in 2005 !!! presumably when the car came to the Uk, some 6 years after registration.

also the loggie shows two previous owners (some bills match a previous name), howvere there is a photo copy of a log book showing a private plate reg and a different owner name...but correct chassis number.

plus a copy of some sort of delivery note, between a finance company and an asian chap in Ilford Essex...... no where near Jersey as i recall ? dated 1999

have asked BMW for history of chassis number (thru a mate) but not sure how to check DVLA stuff

drives ok...2nd a bit notchy but has been standing for a while judging by disks

i thinks its worth a punt at the right price (and i realise thats been done above) but a few niggly q`s !!!
comment appreciated chaps
PNF911

blank.gif

Post by PNF911 »

saw the aforementioned "weld popper" car today, prior to seeing this>
vendors mate has reasonable back story to why he`s left dealing with it and also showed me the welds straight away,,,,,,says he`s left a message with BMW to try and start a `claim`......i wished him luck !

maybe more worrying is that the first stamp in the service book is at approx 6k miles....in 2005 !!! presumably when the car came to the Uk, some 6 years after registration.

also the loggie shows two previous owners (some bills match a previous name), howvere there is a photo copy of a log book showing a private plate reg and a different owner name...but correct chassis number.

plus a copy of some sort of delivery note, between a finance company and an asian chap in Ilford Essex...... no where near Jersey as i recall ? dated 1999

have asked BMW for history of chassis number (thru a mate) but not sure how to check DVLA stuff

drives ok...2nd a bit notchy but has been standing for a while judging by disks

i thinks its worth a punt at the right price (and i realise thats been done above) but a few niggly q`s !!!
comment appreciated chaps
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

PNF, any BMW dealership can run off a warranty history. They can be surprisingly comprehensive and should tie in with other mileage records (eg warranty work done at same time as services etc.....) If there was warranty work carried out later I would be surprised if it had a bad service record as BMW would not have done it.

Service history is more difficult as dealers only have access to history on the own franchise so cannot see any service work done at other networks.
PNF911

blank.gif

Post by PNF911 »

how the hell did i post the last twice :head: ?

BMW mate,,,as Jonnt says can only tell me that the facts on chassis/car are correct but nothing pre `import` nor service history which is per dealer who did.
says no `warranty recalls outstanding`...... cant be right as i guess the boot welds were a recall ?

more digging needed
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

The boots welds were not a recall :head:

The only recall I can remember was to replace the VANOS bolts.

Any dealer can run a full warranty report off but they do not volunteer (ie they don't like giving them out). You have to sweet talk it out of them :wink:

The warranty report will give dealer details were any warranty work was carried out and this usually is the same as services. You can then phone those dealers to ask if car was services there etc.... Very handy if service book was lost :wink:
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

PNF911 wrote: have asked BMW for history of chassis number (thru a mate) but not sure how to check DVLA stuff
BMW can tell you the origin of the car via the VIN, it will show on their computer, The DVLA require a form to be filled in to trace the previous owners etc. Each trace costs £5 :shock:
johnwayne

M roadster S50

Z3M on ebay

Post by johnwayne »

The ZM has been removed from pistonheads-presumably sold or seller having second thoughts since the boot spot-welds and roof faults have been made public. Or maybe waiting for BMW to make decision on goodwill

Anybody on here know ?
PNF911

blank.gif

Post by PNF911 »

when i saw last week they were going to talk to BMW,,,,also had noted it was in the wrong section on pistonheads! (see 2nd post above)
in the very nicest way possible...they dont know what they are doing.

i am edgy about this one.... summat doesn`t add up ?
i proffered my business card with e mail and suggested that the owner stateside mail me...check my credibility and i would offer `as is`.... deflected that...offered his though (ie seller)

when i saw, he hadnt told the owner of the new boot weld issue :roll:

i`ll ponder and maybe do DVLA search
tofto

blank.gif

Post by tofto »

Murf wrote:
The garage I bought mine from has got an S54 coupe in - will have to check it out as mines going back in for some minor warranty work in the next week or so :)
Murf, what's the name of the garage with the Coupe?

Anyone else know where Murf bought his Roadster from, I'd be interested in this Coupe?

Let me know.

Thanks
Murf

M roadster S50

Post by Murf »

Tofto, the Coupe has now been sold...(not to me I might add!)
tofto

blank.gif

Post by tofto »

Murf wrote:Tofto, the Coupe has now been sold...(not to me I might add!)
Ah, not to worry, thought it was worth asking!

Which garage was it out of interest?