Audi TT (225)

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
beemz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Audi TT (225)

Post by beemz »

Trying again for a sale to get myself back behind the wheel of a Zed. Would also be happy to consider a swap for a 2.8 if the right one comes along and anyones looking for that kind of a deal.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :MESELX:IT
nero1701

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by nero1701 »

how did you get on?
beemz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by beemz »

Very well. I'm in my new Z3 now and loving every minute of it. Perfect timing too as the sun has been out more times than not recently and the tops been down plenty. :D
triumphted

Z3 roadster 2.8

Audi tt 225 Vs Z3 2.8

Post by triumphted »

beemz

I ve often considered the Audi TT 225 Coupe and would be interested in your observations on the comparison of it to the Z3 2.8

I wonder about running costs as in the next couple of months I may end up increasing my weekly commute by 300 miles per week, if that were the case keeping the Z3 - mine is a 2.8 may not be a sensible option - I average around 24 mpg :D but most worryingly i would have to park it in insecure parts of east london for prolonged periods, security / jealousy is a massive worry, so you see why the tin top audi would be a natural successor.

Thanks in anticipation.....

John
beemz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by beemz »

Well i'm a bit bias towards the Z3 2.8 i have and previously had. In my opinion the Z3 build quality is better and i have a preference for the soft top. The pro's for the TT are better fuel economy, i managed around 32mpg around town. The Quattro system is very good and handling is better than the Z3 but less fun :) The interior is well appointed with pretty much everything you need and some things you don't. Reliabily wise, i would rate the Z3 streets ahead. Do your research well if you choose to go for the TT as they have quite a few problems which are car specific and very expensive to sort if you get the wrong one. These are only my opinions of course.
triumphted

Z3 roadster 2.8

z3 vs tt

Post by triumphted »

Thanx beemz

I know about the dashpod problems and the water pump / timing belt issues.

Not really my choice but it does seem to be a decent compromise. Only other alternaives i can think of are

Merc SLK 230 - real vidal sassoon car as quoted by my wife!
Audi TT as above
Porsche Boxster - but soft top so security issues
Nissan 350z - bit too expensive to buy and run.

Any other ideas? I will start a post in the forum nearer the time!

John
simon-g

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: z3 vs tt

Post by simon-g »

triumphted wrote:Thanx beemz

I know about the dashpod problems and the water pump / timing belt issues.

Not really my choice but it does seem to be a decent compromise. Only other alternaives i can think of are

Merc SLK 230 - real vidal sassoon car as quoted by my wife!
Audi TT as above
Porsche Boxster - but soft top so security issues
Nissan 350z - bit too expensive to buy and run.

Any other ideas? I will start a post in the forum nearer the time!

John
How about a Mazda RX8? Civic Type-R? Subaru Impreza?
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

RX-8 drinks fuel and oil, and its not that quick unless you get it up to 8000 revs, I think you'd get annoyed with it IMO

What about a Golf GTI? Does everything very well - I had one for a year and on a long run can get 38mpg, average around 30-32mpg
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Of those mentioned, Golf GTI would be my choice as a daily work car

I live & work in East London, ///M parked on the street at all times with no problems :wink:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

garythefish wrote:I live & work in East London, ///M parked on the street at all times with no problems :wink:
Yeah, but everybody knows Da 'Fish's mowta and no one would DARE touch it!

Triumphted:
How about a nice E46 330 Coupe?
Performance just short of ///M Power but less expense, fab handling, really comfortable interior, timeless looks AND you get to keep your blue and white roundel!
You can get a good condition low mileage 05/06 plate for £15-17k right now. Or if you want cheaper, just go a bit older. Still a great buy.

A.
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Don't you mean the E90/E92? You can get a 56 plate 335i for around £17k - and they are LOVELY looking cars, and as you say ///M speed (quicker when chipped)

I wouldnt pay more than 12k for an E46 330, and they are not as quick as a Golf GTI.... trust me ;)
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I can vouch for how quick a 335i is, Surprised me :shock:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

garythefish wrote:I can vouch for how quick a 335i is, Surprised me :shock:
And then there's the 335d - which is just insane for a diesel! Proper real world fast
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Gazza

ImageImage
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

I test drove quite a few as it was the car I was going to get after the Z3, but then couldnt justify spending that much on a daily drive again and just losing a crap load of money in a few years!

But outstanding car to drive, and very nice and special to be in.
triumphted

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by triumphted »

Respect for all the replies. Thanx

If it happens I will start a thread.

Of your suggestions thus far here are my thoughts: Please don't be offended if I dont take to some - I am a bit fussy..

Mazda RX 8 Grt shout. Love the looks + practicality, but a friend tells me the zed would be cheaper to run. Shame they didnt sort out the fuel economy on that Rotary Wankel engine eh.

Subaru Imp - Not my taste

Civic Type R again not my taste and not keen on Hondas, had a few.

BMW 330 + 335D too expensive for the city runaround, although yes what a car have driven 330 and 335D and both feel like the shuttle accelerating!

Golf GTI - Yes Yes Yes. I have had several over the years and was always saving it as my get out of jail free card! I know they tick all the boxes except being as unique as the Zed. Having said that i know they are great value with reasonable GT TDI 's pass thro auction at the 6 - 7k mark, with some miles obviously. Anyone here driven any of the TDI 140 or better still the TDI 170's might be temted here..

Thanx all again.
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Tt

Post by seasurfer »

Dont rule out the TT, I have the 180 and is a brilliant car. Had it just over 4 years and no problems at all. A very stylish and sporty car to drive.
I fancied a ragtop and eventually found my first zed only a few weeks ago but there is no way i would part with the TT. Similar mpg as the 2.8 zed, very economical, 38mpg, plenty fast enough, robust and of course very stylish, but i would say that.

Gill :D