Help for newbie whose daughter is looking to buy a black z3?

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
Mr B

Not specified

Help for newbie whose daughter is looking to buy a black z3?

Post by Mr B »

ok, before all the questions and quips start - my daughter is looking for a z3, i dont know anything about them so please feel free to offer any advice (about the car NOT my daughter LOL) i have copied all the advice re what to look out for when buying a z3, but i would also like to know of there is anything she should keep away from (and thats where i expect the quips will start!!) she has around 5k to spend and her wish list includes it must be black, 1.9 engine, power hood, leather interior, decent MOT and service history - anything else is an extra bonus!

Thanks in anticiaption of recieving some help

Mr B
peterandjenny

Z3 roadster 2.8

Black?

Post by peterandjenny »

Just gone from a silver z3 to a cosmos black 2.8 black does look nice but is a pain to keep looking clean. we wanted a sienna red one but they are very rare, still no regrets though
Purchase was decided by condition rather than colour
The facelift 1.9's are a fair bit slower than the 16v versions .
£5000 should get a nice one
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Your daughter has excellent taste.
8-)

If you could find one in your budget, a 2.0 or 2.2 would be a better bet, but I guess she's young and so the insurance will be the determining factor.

Good luck with your search.

A.
Mr B

Not specified

zed

Post by Mr B »

Thanks gents, she is 24 so not too young! is there anything she should avoid or look out for as a bargain?

she is looking at this on ebay at the mo

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Z3-Black-1-9- ... 230685c11a
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

That looks like a cracking one. Best wheels for the non-sport models and also has the sports seats which (should be) heated, a definite bonus.

Knock 'em down to £5k, I think you have a good example there. Can't offer advice on the 1.9 engine as I had a 2.2, but as a car they are very solid. Had very little or no problems with mine in 5 years and 80,000 miles.
peterandjenny

Z3 roadster 2.8

this is ours

Post by peterandjenny »

paid £5000 2.8 1999
peterandjenny

Z3 roadster 2.8

how about this

Post by peterandjenny »

smartypants

Other roadster

Re: how about this

Post by smartypants »

Is it me or are the exhausts all wrong?

Also no roll over hoops... personally I would prefer one with hoops (plus wind deflector)

IMO of course! Otherwise I would rather have the 6-cyl engine definitely
Mr B

Not specified

Re: how about this

Post by Mr B »

i cant see anywhere it says it has a power hood?

sorry to be pedantic but she would rather have a power hood than a wheel on each corner - KIDS!!!
peterandjenny

Z3 roadster 2.8

now have a power roof

Post by peterandjenny »

much slower than a manual one and tends to crease the rear screen so have to part lower get out smooth out screen then lower again
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

the Zed on ebay will have the M43 engine the 1.9 8 valve. which is the same as mine. i find it a little under powered at times but once you get it going its more than adequate for general driving and will take a good spanking as i did on the Yorkshire cruise ( and wasn't left behind ) . im sure the 6 pots are better in many ways and if i had my time again id go that way. but that doesn't mean im not happy as im more than satisfied and its not on every drive you need 200 bhp.
best bet is to let your daughter test drive it and im sure she'll find it fast enough and will of course be cheaper to insure and tax. try for 5k with maybe 6 months warrenty and i think you will have a great deal there.
keep us informed

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
Mr B

Not specified

Re: now have a power roof

Post by Mr B »

peterandjenny wrote:much slower than a manual one and tends to crease the rear screen so have to part lower get out smooth out screen then lower again
thanks, i didnt realise an electric roof could damage the rear window. does that happen much??

Mr B
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

peterandjenny wrote:much slower than a manual one and tends to crease the rear screen so have to part lower get out smooth out screen then lower again
I timed my power hood and it was less than 9 seconds - dont need it any quicker than that, and you can do it while going along (just).

Makes no odds on screen creasing to be honest, they do it no matter what you do :(
Last edited by smartypants on Mon 19 Apr, 2010 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
mv70

M roadster S50

Post by mv70 »

i didnt realise an electric roof could damage the rear window. does that happen much??
I want to know too, whats the diffrense with rear window.
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Mr B wrote:
thanks, i didnt realise an electric roof could damage the rear window. does that happen much??

Mr B
No it doesn't. Because of the folding mechanism it will always crease along the middle of the window. Being careful with dust and dirt and perhaps putting a protector on first will achieve more longevity out of the window, but in the end it WILL crease.

Its a minor irritation you learn to live with it, roof should be down anyway! ;)
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

There's not the slightest trace of a crease in my rear window (power hood). If you always use a window blanket and keep it clean it will stay perfect. It defeats the object of having a power hood, but I always get out and put the blanket on and then fit the tonneau to keep the dust out every time I drop the top. Power or manual they both fold in the same place
peterandjenny

Z3 roadster 2.8

It is not the crease in the middle

Post by peterandjenny »

that is the problem but creases along the top edge
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Hi Mr B
"Our" Z is really my wife's car but IMHO a power hood will be better for your daughter.
The mechanism of struts and braces is identical whether manual or power operated so the rear screen will always have a crease line in it.
Lifting a manual hood requires a degree of strength and can be a real finger nail splitter :shock:
Use of a protective blanket is essential to protect both the plastic screen and the hood fabric from itself where adjacent sections rub together in top down mode.
Image :devil:
Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rob13 »

Unless you are really anal, it will get wear and tear, its a car and is meant to be used and I guess thats why the window zips in for replacement - a polish every 6 months with 'super resin polish' sorts it out. Personally - I would go electric all the way - looks flash ;-) and can be done with out any bending, stretching, physical exertion....
I used to have a '97 2.8 Z3 50k FOR SALE £4699 Shorter 'M' Cup Sport gear knob,M Steering wheel, Alpine / Infinity audio, 18" Alpina style wheels, Clear indicators all round, cold air feed and modified airbox. Miss April in the '09 Calendar.
ImageImage
Mr B

Not specified

Post by Mr B »

probably a daft question, but can an electric hood be retro fitted? do the mechanisms actually come up for sale at all (has anyone seen one for sale?)

thanks for the tip re finger nails - wouldnt want to damage her nail varnish or even worse, lose a nail! LOL
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Rob13 wrote:Unless you are really anal, it will get wear and tear, its a car and is meant to be used and I guess thats why the window zips in for replacement - a polish every 6 months with 'super resin polish' sorts it out. Personally - I would go electric all the way - looks flash ;-) and can be done with out any bending, stretching, physical exertion....
Ditto what Rob says :)
peterandjenny

Z3 roadster 2.8

electric an be retrofitted

Post by peterandjenny »

ram is not too difficult but there are a lot of electrics to sort out we looked into itand it was not worth the work even though we were offerd the parts cheap.
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

Watch out, there are some dodgy geezers with Black Z3s. And Im not talking about peterandjenny LOL :twisted:

I and a few others have recently fitted hoops, so we know that they are very hard to find and not cheap, so go for a Z3 with some form of hoops fitted. Chrome or original black are great, and there are plenty of windstops to be had, but if it is included then less expense later.

As Canman has stated you don't need 200HP, she would be fine with a 1.9, my wife wanted a 1.9 as she is a mellowed driver, but I insisted that 200hp was required by me. :twisted: She will have some fuel savings to boot. You dont need to have a top of the range to be a friend here or to enjoy the fun of zedding.

From recent buying and selling both private and dealer, I would go for a cheaper buy from a private seller. If they are genuine they would have looked after the car, no more or less than any dealer would before selling it on. You only get 3 months statutory warranty from a dealer, I've had my Zed 3 weeks, and they are quite sound cars. Parts are cheap and plentiful online, and many forum members can point you in the right direction. (inc. service parts) :wink: I've had no problems what so ever, apart from high fuel consumption due to the 18th April run out from Baldock, (Thanks Spooky)

She is going to want to have a nice looking car from the start, so ensure the rims and wheel paintwork is sound, as these are some of the most expensive fixes for what they are. The Ebay car looks like it has been de-oranged, (white looking indicators front and rear) or is that standard for a facelift Zed?
If you want to look at cars at long distances, ask if a forum member lives close by, they might take an initial look for you. I went 120 miles just to test drive a car whilst looking for my zed not long ago, so don't discount high distance sales.

Happy car testing. And good luck.
Present : Grey Z4 2.5 conv
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
Mr B

Not specified

Post by Mr B »

really appreciate the responses from everyone, she is def going for a power hood and really wants her zed in black though she is mellowing a bit on that score - though silver is def a NO NO! though only because all her previous cars have been silver (she looked at a really nice one last night in braintree, had everything but was silver, she was gutted cos it was a really decent car and nice people who were selling it.)

her cousin is going to the dealers tomorrow (as he lives local) which will save us travelling 250 miles to look at a dog! and we wil take it from there

once again, thanks for all the positive responses/help and advice

Mr B
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

I don't think peterandjenny means the usual horizontal crease where the window is meant to fold, but other asymmetric creases which have to be flattened out by hand as the roof is being lowered. It makes no difference if it's a manual or power roof.

I had this problem on my E36 cab where I had to get out half way through the lowering to flatten out the crease. What a pain, and SO uncool!

As far as I can tell, it's a sign that a replacement rear window has been fitted and the zip has not been perfectly aligned. Only solution is to remove the window and refit it one tooth round, and boy is that a tedious job!

I tried a manual roof once and nearly dislocated my shoulder...there's definately a technique to it, and it is quicker, but a power roof is just soooo much cooler!

A.
peterandjenny

Z3 roadster 2.8

spot on alfie

Post by peterandjenny »

But i think the back window is original and the creasing only happens sometimes but we have to check
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Mr B wrote:really appreciate the responses from everyone, she is def going for a power hood and really wants her zed in black though she is mellowing a bit on that score - though silver is def a NO NO! though only because all her previous cars have been silver (she looked at a really nice one last night in braintree, had everything but was silver, she was gutted cos it was a really decent car and nice people who were selling it.)

her cousin is going to the dealers tomorrow (as he lives local) which will save us travelling 250 miles to look at a dog! and we wil take it from there

once again, thanks for all the positive responses/help and advice

Mr B
Braintree? Interesting - I am from there (although I don't shout that too loudly!)

You live near?
Mr B

Not specified

Post by Mr B »

little clacton - though i dont shout that too loudly either LOL

this is the one in braintree

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-BMW-Z3-SILVE ... 1c11d51bff

now if only someone wanted that one and were looking to sell their black one with power roof - even if its an older model, an easy upgrade for someone !!
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

I'd want a full service history personally, not for mechanical reasons but for resale purposes, unless you're going to keep it for ever of course!
Mr B

Not specified

Post by Mr B »

thanks for the tip !

but if anyone is seriously thinking about going for a newer model and is looking for a buyer for theirs?? if you have fancy alloy wheels or cd player etc etc and its possible to just swap them to 'the' new car then i would consider it as an option to buy yours - with full service history and power roof of course (and sorry, but not in silver!) - of course i would need the wheels and cd/radio off the new car DOH!

Mr B
Mr B

Not specified

she is now a z3 owner!

Post by Mr B »

thanks for the advice etc, she is now the proud owner of a light blue (yes she wanted black, until she saw this one!) z3. just looking to add some hoops and chrome side vents to compliment the car.

thanks again - will get her to post pics when she has sorted the bits she wants (or rather when i have sorted the bits she wants LOL)

Mr B
Dr Shiny

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dr Shiny »

I've just caught up with your postings. We were stuck overseas thanks to the actions of an un-pronounceable volcano in Iceland.

You mentioned Braintree in one of your earlier postings. I'm Chelmsford/Maldon if you ever need local advice or help.

Paul
estocks

Not specified

Re: she is now a z3 owner!

Post by estocks »

Mr B wrote:thanks for the advice etc, she is now the proud owner of a light blue (yes she wanted black, until she saw this one!) z3. just looking to add some hoops and chrome side vents to compliment the car.

thanks again - will get her to post pics when she has sorted the bits she wants (or rather when i have sorted the bits she wants LOL)

Mr B
Congratulations! Check out FAB Direct, BM Mini Parts as well as eBay for your spares. Looking forward to the pictures.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Mr B

Not specified

Post by Mr B »

Dr Shiny - thaqnks for the offer, i might very well take you up on that - i have no experience whatsoever with z3's , my car knowledge isnt that good but i can work a spanner!!!

Its a pretty basic z3 but has the all important power hood that she wanted, no traction control though which is why i think the oem hoop mod is high on the list, though she is 24 and she isnt a 'go faster girl' LOL.

She would also like a heated seat addition so any advice on that would be helpful, also her driver seat bolster is a bit worn, know anyone local that could refurb??