Wanted,,,Central locking Acctuator Z3 2000

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
Springer

Z3 roadster 2.0

Wanted,,,Central locking Acctuator Z3 2000

Post by Springer »

My drivers door is not locking/unlocking on the key button,passenger door and boot work no problem.I have had a look cannot see any broken wires so assume it's the acctuator,unless any one else has other idea's.
Does any one have a spare one for sale?.
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

I've had to replace both of mine now, got them from an online breakers each time, was less than £20 delivered for each one.
johnjo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by johnjo »

Sringer yoou have mail
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

I really don't understand these parts..

Mine has not been working all year last year.. now it's working all the time. Do they need to dry out or something? Hope I haven't jinxed myself now..
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

They seem to go rather intermittent, but when they do decide to play up, it is not worth opening everything up to just lubricate them - you might as well replace them and have them reliable. My passenger side went intermittent for a while, then died completely, the drivers side just went horribly sluggish and would struggle to unlock the door. Both sides replaced with BMW ones and door guides greased - feels like a different car. :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by msassoon »

Yeah, seems common. My dad just replaced one on a 316 coupe last week. I think he still has a spare one, not sure if they are the same. Call Mike on 01707654014 and ask him. Alternatively, this breaker has been exceptional for parts: http://www.bmw-spares.com/
Cheers

Marc
Springer

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Springer »

Many thanks for the information so far.
I have booked the car into the local BMW agent tomorrow for them to hook it up to their diagnostic machine,hope this will pinpoint the problem before I go any further.
Will let you know the result :roll:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I wouldn't have thought the diagnostics would have any knowledge of the central locking. The later alarm can tell you which sensor triggered it, but I don't think it knows anything about the central locking.

If part of the central locking is working, the remote receiver is working fine. It can really only be actuator, boot lid or door wiring or the mechanical linkage to the lock.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
J1SUA

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Wanted,,,Central locking Acctuator Z3 2000

Post by J1SUA »

Get it from the breakers. Same part as the E36. £21. There are loads of threads/how to on the forum so take some time and do a search. Think even I have a post on the subject as I replaced mine a while back. Don't waste your money on diagnostics for a door issue I reckon

Z3 1.9 | 17" ACS Style 2s refurbed in grey/silver | Debadged | New Rear Window | Retro fitted Fog lights | HID kit | Clarion slim sub | Clear side indicators | Colour coded handles | Halo Front lights | Hardtop | Winter 15" Style 27s on Vredestein Wintrax
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Well, looks like I jinxed myself :D
Springer

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Springer »

Friendly BMW Dealer had a look....yes it is the actuator...they are willing to replace for a very reasonable £256.40 :shock: fitted. The showroom is very nice and "free"!! coffee :twisted:
Bought one from a breaker for £16 not fitted :) needless to say. Not fitted yet,hope it works ok and lasts a reasonable time!.
Springer

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Springer »

Received my actuator from car salavage"CR///M-Tech of Shrewsbury" at a cost of £16 which included postage at lunch time today,I now have a central locking system all working again :D
A fiddley job,not being able to see what you are doing,working by feel :?. Thanks to the kind man Stu who wrote the how to "Replace an actuator" post,never having need to delve into the door internals it was a great help,thank you and also thanks for the comments from fellow Zedders.The local BMW Agent has lost some business and I have saved a nice piece of the pension. :cheers
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Springer wrote:Received my actuator from car salavage"CR///M-Tech of Shrewsbury" at a cost of £16 which included postage at lunch time today,I now have a central locking system all working again :D
A fiddley job,not being able to see what you are doing,working by feel :?. Thanks to the kind man Stu who wrote the how to "Replace an actuator" post,never having need to delve into the door internals it was a great help,thank you and also thanks for the comments from fellow Zedders.The local BMW Agent has lost some business and I have saved a nice piece of the pension. :cheers
Excellent stuff. Is this the part you replaced? Just wondering if I have the right one..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bmw-e36-rear- ... 35ba031343