Wanted - Nearside Z3 std door mirror

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
gedo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Wanted - Nearside Z3 std door mirror

Post by gedo »

I'm looking for a nearside Z3 standard door mirror. Arctic Silver would be perfect but any colour would do.
Condition isn't important as I only need the internal Alu bracket. Anyone got one laying around after a conversion to M Mirrors ?
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Wanted - Nearside Z3 std door mirror

Post by freds dad »

Is it the internal that has corroded? If so there is a fix here

http://zroadster.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1578

A local engineering firm to me made me a new bolt and drilled it our for the wiring to pass through.
gedo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gedo »

Thanks for that but I think mines is past repairing as part of the alu casing is broken off. Mind you, I may try drilling it out whilst I wait for a replacement as I have nothing to lose.U
TerryO

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by TerryO »

Hi, I've recently had a problem with my door mirrors. The driver side has never really been in the correct position for a good rear view, even with the electric adjustment. The main body has always been twisted slightly, then recently I discovered it hanging loose. It had obviously locked up due to corrosion in the past and a previous owner had glued it back on. After removing the plastic shells I discovered the aluminium diecast inner body had sheared off near the base at some time and the whole thing had been stuck back on using what looked like body filler! I now find the main body of my nearside mirror also appears to be frozen due to corrosion. I've searched for used spares, but these appear to be non-existant, even those on Ebay go for £174 each. For the moment I've resorted to bonding mine back on so that I can still use the car. Even the M12 allen bolt fix mentioned above wouldn't work with a broken alloy frame and siezed base. My next plan is to fit a pair of manual Vitaloni Californian mirrors. These have a two bolt fixing at 65mm and should bolt straight on until a set of originals turn up! I guess I'll just have to put up with manual adjustment and no demist.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Search.do ... &s=mirrors
1998 Z3 1.9 (M44). Arctic Silver, red leather seats & door panels, manual roof, 18" Team Dynamics, 30mm lowered Pi suspension, generic twin outlet SS tail box.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

I have heard that you can weld the mirror frame back together.
Don't know if it works or not though but worth a few phone calls to find out.
gedo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gedo »

Watch this space !!! You have described the exact same problem I had and after getting inspiration from freds dad post I spent a few hours yesterday putting the alloy frame back together using metal epoxy and thin alu sheeting for extra support. I finished the final piece tonight and it's 'curing' as we speak so I'll post an update tomorrow if my 'repair' has been successful. If this works I'll have saved myself a few bob which can go towards something more exciting :)
TerryO wrote:Hi, I've recently had a problem with my door mirrors. The driver side has never really been in the correct position for a good rear view, even with the electric adjustment. The main body has always been twisted slightly, then recently I discovered it hanging loose. It had obviously locked up due to corrosion in the past and a previous owner had glued it back on. After removing the plastic shells I discovered the aluminium diecast inner body had sheared off near the base at some time and the whole thing had been stuck back on using what looked like body filler! I now find the main body of my nearside mirror also appears to be frozen due to corrosion. I've searched for used spares, but these appear to be non-existant, even those on Ebay go for £174 each. For the moment I've resorted to bonding mine back on so that I can still use the car. Even the M12 allen bolt fix mentioned above wouldn't work with a broken alloy frame and siezed base. My next plan is to fit a pair of manual Vitaloni Californian mirrors. These have a two bolt fixing at 65mm and should bolt straight on until a set of originals turn up! I guess I'll just have to put up with manual adjustment and no demist.

gedo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gedo »

Gents,

I've updated my progress thread (See sig) with info on the mirror repair. I'll keep this wanted thread open in case it all goes horribly wrong !
baretto

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by baretto »

TerryO wrote:Hi, I've recently had a problem with my door mirrors. The driver side has never really been in the correct position for a good rear view, even with the electric adjustment. The main body has always been twisted slightly, then recently I discovered it hanging loose. It had obviously locked up due to corrosion in the past and a previous owner had glued it back on. After removing the plastic shells I discovered the aluminium diecast inner body had sheared off near the base at some time and the whole thing had been stuck back on using what looked like body filler! I now find the main body of my nearside mirror also appears to be frozen due to corrosion. I've searched for used spares, but these appear to be non-existant, even those on Ebay go for £174 each. For the moment I've resorted to bonding mine back on so that I can still use the car. Even the M12 allen bolt fix mentioned above wouldn't work with a broken alloy frame and siezed base. My next plan is to fit a pair of manual Vitaloni Californian mirrors. These have a two bolt fixing at 65mm and should bolt straight on until a set of originals turn up! I guess I'll just have to put up with manual adjustment and no demist.

I don't think those mirrors will bolt straight on. Z3 mirror bolt spacing is about 90mm so 65mm will be too short
TerryO

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by TerryO »

I removed both standard mirrors yesterday. The offside mirror obviously already had my temporary epoxy putting fix, but the sprung loaded alloy base parts are well & truly corroded solid. The nearside, although not broken, is also corroded solid. I've soaked both with release fluid while they're off the car. The two M5 mounting bolts are definately 65mm on my 98 1.9 Z3 & the Vitaloni mirrors bolt straight on. The foot print (i.e. black rubber gasket) is much smaller on the Vitaloni's, so I've made up a plinth go fit between the original gasket & the new one. The black finish also looked a bit odd on a silver car, so they're currently hanging up the garage with a new coat of grey etch primer, Arctic silver & clear laquer. I'll post a picture when they're fitted. I'm hoping they'll just be a temporary fix, as I've now lost the electric adjustment & demist functions.
I'll see if I can free up the originals & try to get the broken alloy frame welded.
1998 Z3 1.9 (M44). Arctic Silver, red leather seats & door panels, manual roof, 18" Team Dynamics, 30mm lowered Pi suspension, generic twin outlet SS tail box.
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

Ebay Item number: 230828317557 BMW Z3 breaking on ebay- door mirrors available if you're quick !!!!!!
TerryO

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by TerryO »

Hi Geninimustang, thanks for the Ebay tip-off. I emailed the guy straight away, but unfortunately all three pairs had already been sold. It really does look like used Z3 mirrors are rare as hens teeth! Thanks again, Terry.
gedo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gedo »

Repairing Z3 mirrors looks like it could be a good little cottage industry ! Here is a link to a 'home-made' Aluminium melting furnace :)
http://www.instructables.com/id/Quick-c ... furnace-s/
If someone makes a mold from a good mirror frame they could make a fortune !
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Does it have to be made of aluminium?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

There are a number of small engineering firms that can produce custom parts - I wonder if it is worth asking one of them for a price to make replacements? Does anyone have a relationship with such a company? A group buy might be in order. :)

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

I can ask the guy who did the bolt fix for my mirror and get a price.

Anyone interested?
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

Ebay 200807428120 16thAug, 18:00pm. best of luck if you can afford it,i wish i could !
baretto

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by baretto »

TerryO wrote:I removed both standard mirrors yesterday. The offside mirror obviously already had my temporary epoxy putting fix, but the sprung loaded alloy base parts are well & truly corroded solid. The nearside, although not broken, is also corroded solid. I've soaked both with release fluid while they're off the car. The two M5 mounting bolts are definately 65mm on my 98 1.9 Z3 & the Vitaloni mirrors bolt straight on. The foot print (i.e. black rubber gasket) is much smaller on the Vitaloni's, so I've made up a plinth go fit between the original gasket & the new one. The black finish also looked a bit odd on a silver car, so they're currently hanging up the garage with a new coat of grey etch primer, Arctic silver & clear laquer. I'll post a picture when they're fitted. I'm hoping they'll just be a temporary fix, as I've now lost the electric adjustment & demist functions.
I'll see if I can free up the originals & try to get the broken alloy frame welded.
Can't wait to see the pictures! The Vitaloni mirrors would be an excellent fix for the many people, including me, whose mirrors have corroded beyond repair!
gedo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gedo »

I wonder if this thread should be moved from Stock Exchange into Z3 Roadster and renamed as a general Mirror repair thread ? Something maybe the Mods can do ?