WANTED: Z3 Hardtop

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
Beaker

Z3 roadster 1.9

WANTED: Z3 Hardtop

Post by Beaker »

Total shot in the dark here but i'm looking for a z3 hardtop within reasonable distance from Glasgow. I am prepared to travel maybe 3 to 4 hours to collect and have a van to uplift.

Had my z3 for 4 years and really fancy a hardtop. Colour doesn't matter.

Thanks.
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: WANTED: Z3 Hardtop

Post by freds dad »

Have you got a fitting kit on your car as without one there's no point in getting a hardtop.
Beaker

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Beaker »

I'm guessing not as they prob weren't fitted standard. Are they equally hard to get a hold of?
Zedona

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Zedona »

There's a guy on ebay sells his own fitting kits and hardtops and he is in your neck of the woods.
He will fit them for you as well, got to be worth a look.
Currently offering a fitting kit I'd give the link if I knew how.
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Just a note,
We had been advised to use the guy in Scotland as people said the kits were not available any more, After 3 weeks of being messed about we cancelled and then found out the genuine ones were still available, that was in January 2011.
We bought the genuine fitting kit from BMW for £303inc which included brackets, bolts, T-bar wrench and plastic trim panels. (no switch though)
The genuine ones have electrical contacts for the heated window which make the circuit as you put the hardtop on, the Scottish ones do not, and you either do without, or need to make a plug and socket to connect and disconnect as you fit the H/T
Before paying eBay (so far £331 with 15 bids) try Sopers BMW first to see if they still have some left.
PS if anyone wants to pay me £300, I have a genuine set with all bolts, Tbar, and plastic trim panels and even a pre-facelift HRW switch. This is a used one though (not brand new)
:D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

i may be looking for one also . on my 3.0 a surprise for me was a factory fitted hard top fittings :D
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

They were still available from a dealer as of about a month ago when I was after just the bolts.

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

There is a hard top for sale in this months Total BMW
It's black and as new with storage bag lives in Nottinghamshire and wants £600 for it.
Contact No is 01773770048.
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

I am still after one too - in the elusive Imola Red or cosmos/sapphire black. Would need to strike some sort of deal with seller though considering I'd have to get a boat across and back/ and may have large distance to cover. Courier would be an idea too
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
stumac

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stumac »

Hi,
I bought a hardtop for my z3,When i first got it i had some pretty bad leaks and had to take it off,I am telling you this because it may be usefull to you when you get yours,I have just refitted it ready for winter,I have had to move the rear brackets forward about 5 ml making sure the nearside and the offside brackets are spot on,Then a really bad design by BMW is the seal above the quater light window,There is an indentation in the rubber seal which is supposed to let the water flow out of the seal between the roof and the windscreen onto the littlle piece of rubber gutter just above the quater light,Well this does not work with hard tops,So that indentation needs filling in with black silicone,I have done this and havent had a drop coming in to the car,I've even had my jet wash on it for at least 15 mins and not a drop.I hope this may be usefull to you.
Stuart.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Both the front and rear fixings to the hardtop adjust, so there is no reason why you can't get a good seal. If you are getting a leak from top of the windscreen pillar, then this is a common fault that affects the softtop also, and there is a known fix for it. It may be bad design, but it is nothing to do with the hardtop, unless the seals on you hardtop have deformed. I got my hardtop when the car was six months old, and the worst (and only) problem I have had with it is that the driver's side window occasionally refuses to go up on its own - an application of gummi-pfledge soon sorted that, though more recently I have been recommended to try talcum powder! :shock:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

BMW sell a set of fitting guides that you can use to line up the hardtop and they're not that expensive, about £5 max.
You will also find lots of fitting info on the interweb and there is probably a "how to" on here somewhere.
stumac

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stumac »

Hi,
Yes i loosend the front brackets before i put the bolts through and nipped them up once i had got the bolts inplace Maybe i should have done that in the first place,
Stu.