WANTED : Interior Bits & Bobs

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
yetibaines

Z3 roadster 1.9

WANTED : Interior Bits & Bobs

Post by yetibaines »

Hello :)

I've just bought my Z3, and I'm really lucky in that it's pretty much all original stuff. Now the issue is that I will soon buy a radio that is ipod/iphone compatible and there isn't a cubby hole for my iphone where it's within reach for easy song switching :)

I want to use the asthray space and build my own iPhone holder with the connector in the bottom, but I want to do this with another ashtray, not the one in the car so that if I ever do need to sell, I can simply pop the old one back into the hole.

It's not just the ashtray I'm looking for, I would also like the little container in the back panel

Actually anything plastic from the interior of the Z3 and I'll see what I can do with it :wink:

Do you guys have any of these spare?? Or know of where I can find them (eBay have got an ashtray for £35!!!! that's just silly!!!) :shock:

Thanks guys
Yeti :)

g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: WANTED : Interior Bits & Bobs

Post by g8jka »

Your best option may be the OEM cupholder, around £55 from the dealers.

You remove the ashtray and fit this into the recess in the centre console. Behind the 2nd cupholder hole is a large tray that is useful for storage, but also allows a pretty good fitment for an iPhone. Even better at the bottom of this recess (just behind the 2nd cupholder hole) is a small panel that pops out which is perfect for routing an iPhone cable through from the stereo.

No drilling / screwing of the old console is needed, simply install the cupholder and route the cable from the back of the stereo under the centre console, out of the hole where the ashtray would normally sit and under the cupholder through into the rear recess and then connect you iPhone.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I went with an even cheaper option, which doesn't involve having to leave the iPod in the car, or remove it every time I get out. I purposely bought a headunit with USB as well as iPod/iPhone connectivity - this allows me to put all my music on a USB key and play it from that using the controls on the headunit. The USB keys hides inside the ashtray with no visible wiring. My headunit will play Apple format music, so I can just copy files straight from my iTunes library directly onto the stick. I can still plug in the iPod if I want to, but there is no need. If you have a lot of music, it is possible to use a small hard disk instead of a USB key.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
yetibaines

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by yetibaines »

Robert T wrote:I went with an even cheaper option, which doesn't involve having to leave the iPod in the car, or remove it every time I get out. I purposely bought a headunit with USB as well as iPod/iPhone connectivity - this allows me to put all my music on a USB key and play it from that using the controls on the headunit. The USB keys hides inside the ashtray with no visible wiring. My headunit will play Apple format music, so I can just copy files straight from my iTunes library directly onto the stick. I can still plug in the iPod if I want to, but there is no need. If you have a lot of music, it is possible to use a small hard disk instead of a USB key.

Cheers R.
Hello, I have a usb radio unit already, the only issue is that I use spotify for all of my music (too expensive to buy all of the tracks I listen too, and too illegal to download them :wink: ) hence why i would either need a jack or ipod cable, but the issue is not that, I want the cable to run along the inside of the central and sit within it so it looks neater.

I will probably buy the entire central unit and drill into that :)

Thanks though!!!

Emek

M roadster S50

Post by Emek »

If you need glovebox or knee panels, here is my auction:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-M-road ... 35c60104fc
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

yetibaines wrote:Hello :)

I've just bought my Z3, and I'm really lucky in that it's pretty much all original stuff. Now the issue is that I will soon buy a radio that is ipod/iphone compatible and there isn't a cubby hole for my iphone where it's within reach for easy song switching :)

I want to use the asthray space and build my own iPhone holder with the connector in the bottom, but I want to do this with another ashtray, not the one in the car so that if I ever do need to sell, I can simply pop the old one back into the hole.

It's not just the ashtray I'm looking for, I would also like the little container in the back panel

Actually anything plastic from the interior of the Z3 and I'll see what I can do with it :wink:

Do you guys have any of these spare?? Or know of where I can find them (eBay have got an ashtray for £35!!!! that's just silly!!!) :shock:

Thanks guys

Hello

In my car I've fed the ipod connector cable through the existing ashtray, still shuts and sits (almost) flush.

Although if you are intrested I am breaking a Z3, here are some photos of the areas you may be interested in.

Thanks

we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
yetibaines

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by yetibaines »

Yup, that's pretty much what i want to do, but i want to have a spare central unit for reselling and in case i do a botch job ;)