WANTED STYLE 18 (5 SPOKE) ALLOYS

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
bentley-boy

blank

WANTED STYLE 18 (5 SPOKE) ALLOYS

Post by bentley-boy »

Hi all. Anyone got some of the style 18 smooth 5 spoke alloys up for grabs? I currently have the type 78 wheels on my 2002 sport which while looking great are a PITA to clean, so much so that I would like to put the earlier smooth 5 spoke style 18 on, such a doddle to clean and show off the calipers to great effect. They would need to be the staggered type i.e 8.5J rear / 7.5J front (17 inch). I actually have a pair of front 7.5J's so really only need the two 8.5's for the rear but obviously would buy a set. Anybody out there thinking of upgrading their style 18's?

BB
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: WANTED STYLE 18 (5 SPOKE) ALLOYS

Post by Davejue1 »

Adrian noooooooooooo! I like style 18's but your 78's look lovely on your car. Just buy a bottle of wheel cleaner and a bendy nylon brush and get cleaning! :D

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Hi Dave, Yes I confess I too like my 78's but trying to clean into all those blunt little nooks and crannies takes the pleasure out of cleaning my zed. However, I do not intend parting with them as they are part of the cars original spec. Just think the style 18's looks stylish with their smooth curves and sooooo easy to keep clean, down side is they do tend to look dated but I can live with that, on the upside if they are refurbed then any wheel in pristine condition pretty well looks good. I'm after stylish looks with practicality which style 18's give, my current style 78's fall well short on practicality! I did think about these red/green stuff brake pads and wondered if they would significantly cut down on brake dust?
Bought a pair of front style 18's off ebay purely for the excellent Falken F452 tyres on them to see if they cut down on the tramlining. Thought it a better bet than shelling out on brannies only to be disappointed! I know folk blame the wishbone rear mounts first.
Gonna tax the old thing next Sat and get cruising again Sunday, having withdrawal symptoms. Spent some time phaffing around trying to obtain a used M Sport front spring after failing mot on a broken bottom coil, had to bite the bullet in the end and go to dealers. Then fitted new balljoints and sprayed up the front suspension, time went by quickly . That was end Nov the mot, next thing you know it's nearly March!! Hope to join the Duxford jaunt!
Being a sad old git I'd sit in it with a cuppa listening to the stereo and going 'vroom vroom' :lol:
Anyway back to the thread, anyone got some style 18's to offload?
Regards BB
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Funny - I had the exact same dilemma yesterday.
I have OEM style 73 17" and fed up with cleaning them. I also have painted calipers that are not visible........ I came across a set of new style 128 (must be replicas as they don't come in 17") and was seriously thinking to taking the plunge..... but after careful thought and some funny looks from the "other half" - I purchased a nylon wheel brush and a bottle of Sonax wheel cleaner (said to be the best on the market).
I'll see how it goes. :shrug
BTW -The there is no comparison between the sleek style 78 and the mundane style 18.
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

I think I will have a set of style 18 alloys for sale after the 28 march will be freshly powder coated as well
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Oh great, not bothered about them being refurbed as would prefer to stove enamel them but do please keep me posted if they become available.
Cheers, BB
markhinton

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by markhinton »

I have style 18's - if you were still interested in meeting to swap the bootlid for my one with predrilled roof-rack holes we could do that at the same time?

edit: that's if you're wanting to swap and not just buy a set?
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Oh excellent. Are they the staggered 8.5 / 7.5 sort? Don't know what to suggest ref the bootlid. I had intended keeping my original so I could swap back if I sold and upgraded to a 3 litre. Would definitely like one or t'other though incl your bumper. Wondered about doing a smart repair on your scratched bootlid you're selling so you could fit that and let me have your holed one. logistics in getting it back to you though. If it's not down to the basecoat could touch the scratch up with lacquer on a fine brush to leave a ridge of lacquer. Once hardened would flat back to the level of the surrounding lacquer and polish back. That usually makes the surface scratch disappear if it's only the lacquer that is damaged. What sort of figure had you in mind on your alloys?
Regards BB
Neutro999

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Neutro999 »

I currently have the type 78 wheels on my 2002 sport which while looking great are a PITA to clean
you think the 78's are bad - I have the styling 42 with the slightly narrower closer together spokes and the bolts round the side which are so awkward to get round! - but once cleaned they do look the business 8-)
'01 Z3 3.0i with black leathers - a.k.a 'The Rebel'
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

I guess it's all relative but after these:

.....these are easy to clean!!
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Certainly do look good! Can't imagine I'd have the patience to clean around the bolt heads too. Think a jet wash is the easy option but I hate the things, cars and their seals were not designed to have high pressure water jets directed at them. I will still keep my 78's and they may go back on after the novelty of 18's have worn off :)
BB
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Oooooooh, fancy leaving your poor zed out in that weather :cry:
Lexybhoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lexybhoy »

Dino D wrote:I guess it's all relative but after these:

.....these are easy to clean!!
Oh these are stunning, what are they ?

They'd be easier to clean if the wheel was black and with the lip polished.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

They are Beyern Multis.
I believe you can get them with black centers.

They are made in BMW fitment so no spacers needed.
Not a common wheel on a Z, not seen another wide body with these in staggered fitment anywhere.

Has to be staggered in my opinion, it's all about the dish for me on these cars..

Here's another:

I have the 78's too and love them but they need spacers especially as my car sits lower..
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Sorry for the thread hijack but here you go:
http://www.beyernwheels.com/bmw_wheels_ ... emulti.php

The rear dish does collect stones and cracks the lawyer so after 25k miles the need a refurb, I'll look into a more durable finish for the lips and maybe not so shiny, they look good when lightly coated in beak dust, a bit more Alpina like but more interesting shape.