WTB - Rear Brake Callipers Rebuild - Sorted

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

WTB - Rear Brake Callipers Rebuild - Sorted

Post by bertiejaffa »

hi

I am looking to see if anyone has any caliper rebuild kits or full calipers for a Z3M or know where to get them cheap?
Last edited by bertiejaffa on Sun 19 Apr, 2015 20:26, edited 3 times in total.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: WTB - URGENT - Z3M Caliper Rebuild

Post by bertiejaffa »

sorted - full set order from biggred
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

let me know how you get on with that pal...im after doing it myself
the badness makes me do it...!

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

swamper wrote:let me know how you get on with that pal...im after doing it myself
Went on BIGGRED website and they have seal kits listed for £25 but not pistons. I rang them and they quoted £104 for 2 front and 2 rear kits including pistons and slider bolts... I did ask 3 times to clarify before buying and they are adamant that everything will be included for that price so I have gone ahead with it and having them delivered to my mechanic tomorrow (I will let you know if the whole kits have turned up for all 4 wheels at that price).

In the meantime, my mechanic is going to strip the calipers back, shotblast them and then spray them red for me ready for the kits to arrive so I should (if everything goes to plan) have 4 "Brand new" brakes on the old girl soon
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

The parts all arrived the next day and were "perfect" in the words of my mechanic... refurb now done (no comments about my discs :oops: )

Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Why not paint the springs as well? Better still, get some new ones from BMW with the logo on (fitted to 4 series rear brakes iirc). I thought about it, but they are £14 each :shock: .
Pingu
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

pingu wrote:Why not paint the springs as well? Better still, get some new ones from BMW with the logo on (fitted to 4 series rear brakes iirc). I thought about it, but they are £14 each :shock: .
Hi Gary, Southernboy has already shamed me into doing the springs :oops: So they will be done soon, my question was exactly that though, do il refurb or buy new... there are some on eBay for £17 for the full set - being of a bone-idle nature I thought this would probably be the route I end up taking, however now you mention springs with the M logo.... :twisted:

My question is, the springs are (I think) different sizes front and back so Im not sure what you're suggesting with the rear off a 4 series? are you just suggesting the rear ones only? (obviously do the front ones a different way?)
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I thought that the front and rear springs are the same size (and that they are the same size as a 4 series rear spring).

I've never investigated it that closely after I found the price of the new ones :shock: . The new ones have "BMW" etched into them, not "///M".
Pingu
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: WTB - Rear Brake Calipers Rebuild - Updated

Post by bertiejaffa »

**UPDATE** I am now looking to refurb my 2.0l rear callipers but don't want to have the car up on jacks too long so I am wondering if anyone has any old ones (ok if seized) that they want rid of... most be cheap as by the end I will have 2 unwanted callipers !
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: WTB - Rear Brake Callipers Rebuild - Updated

Post by Southernboy »

Wow Lee..... a wire brush on a power drill and 10 minutes will have your old springs looking new again.... £17 for 4 new ones !!! :shock: :lol:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Southernboy wrote:Wow Lee..... a wire brush on a power drill and 10 minutes will have your old springs looking new again.... £17 for 4 new ones !!! :shock: :lol:
yeah but I'm bone idle and bloody sick of refurbishing and changing brakes at the minute - since January it has been all 4 on the M; 2 new disks and pads on the A5 (as well as pin refurb as you know yesterday - thanks for the advise) and 1 full front rebuild with all pads on the 2.0l, and now the rear callipers need doing as well!!! :head:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....... well you can take a "brake" after this then.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Southernboy wrote:....... well you can take a "brake" after this then.... :wink:
:roflmao:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

What's your brake pedal like after the refurb? I did mine last summer and I'm suffering from a soft pedal since doing them. Have bled it countless times, tried tapping the calipers, activating ABS unit etc when bleeding but still got a fair amount of travel before it starts stopping. Brakes work well apart from that though.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

c_w wrote:What's your brake pedal like after the refurb? I did mine last summer and I'm suffering from a soft pedal since doing them. Have bled it countless times, tried tapping the calipers, activating ABS unit etc when bleeding but still got a fair amount of travel before it starts stopping. Brakes work well apart from that though.
don't know yet, the cars has been in the garage having new clutch, gearbox refurb and inspection2 so haven't driven it yet. Seems odd that you are having issues though? When I did the front caliber on my 2.0l in the new year I seemed to have a little bit of squidgy brakes but thats gone and now I wonder if it was just in my head. The A5 was the same when I changed the pads, but that went after a good drive. Did you bed the brakes in properly? The following links take about the process but I must admit I found it worked a treat, especially on the A5. However I have to admit whilst the initial bed in process seemed to work, it was only after a trip over the woodhead pass to sheffield that I truly found confidence in the brakes again.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-suppo ... ther-myths
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40514&p=375678&hili ... es#p375678

Just a thought, have you noticed any fluid leak at all? When I got my M there was not any fluid on the drive, but feeling up the hoses there was fluid seeping so I had them all replaced. Also old fluid goes off and can be spongy but with you bleeding through a few times this shouldn't be an issue.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal