1.9 M44 1998 rear exhaust section required urgently for MOT

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

1.9 M44 1998 rear exhaust section required urgently for MOT

Post by mrscalex »

As per subject looking for an exhaust to get my Z3 through the MOT.

Don't really care what make etc as long as it's going to get the car through the MOT and is priced accordingly. Although to be honest I don't really want one of these £100 brand new Ebay jobs.

Can pick up anywhere within a 1 hour radius of Swindon or Swansea or anywhere in between down the M4 corridor.

Thanks!
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
jonzee

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: 1.9 M44 1998 rear exhaust section required urgently for

Post by jonzee »

Guy on ebay goes by the username fleabagmonkeyface he is based in Marlborough and breaks loads of z3s, his mobile is listed on his ads.
I have bought quite a lot of kit from him and its all been spot on.
Give him a bell he is bound to have what you want.
Simon
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

May be a challenge to find a decent OE used one (I have seen one or two over the years) as the Z3 (M44 engine) ceased around 1999. The difficulty with the inexpensive ebay ones is that they do not have a flattened section where it passes under the rear subframe, and so the exhaust can bang against the subframe.

Personally for other cars, I have found that GSF sell good quality aftermarket exhausts - they use a firm called Bosal which supplies a lot of OE parts in the car industry. For the M44 rear they want £235 whereas a custom stainless one costs around £350 +
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Del wrote: The difficulty with the inexpensive ebay ones is that they do not have a flattened section where it passes under the rear subframe, and so the exhaust can bang against the subframe.
However, that is very easily rectified with a blowtorch and a hammer, so shouldn't be a deal-breaker.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I'm going to leave the fitting to the garage precisely in case it puts up a fight although I still so want to give them something they don't have any hassle with otherwise the labour will go up.

So that's why I want to avoid the cheapo new stuff on EBay.

I don't expect to get an OEM unit off a 16 year old car (I'm not sure I'd want one that old) so I'm looking for a recent ish mid range Bosal type I suppose.

Just need to find a good un. Any tips for testing it in any way like if it should make a certain sound when tapped?

Btw I know I'm being tight but it needs various other non MOT work and budget is tight.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

jonzee wrote:Guy on ebay goes by the username fleabagmonkeyface he is based in Marlborough and breaks loads of z3s, his mobile is listed on his ads.
I have bought quite a lot of kit from him and its all been spot on.
Give him a bell he is bound to have what you want.
Simon
Thanks. Am in touch with him and hopeful.
ImageImage
MarkAP68

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MarkAP68 »

I bought a brand new one from ebay in germany recently (£47, delivered in 3 days), it fits perfectly although not as quiet as a genuine one it sounds better than the blowing one I took off
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

MarkAP68 wrote:I bought a brand new one from ebay in germany recently (£47, delivered in 3 days), it fits perfectly although not as quiet as a genuine one it sounds better than the blowing one I took off
I can't find a second-hand one so I was going to take a punt on a cheapie off Ebay as there is some good feedback for at least one of the sellers.

Could you left me know the seller please? Thanks.
ImageImage
Rob56

blank

Post by Rob56 »

Might also be interested in one of these if someone finds a decent place to get hold of them, mine scraped the MOT the other day but there's no way it'll go through in 12 months time and I'd rather pre-empt and get it sorted sooner rather than later!
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Rob56 wrote:Might also be interested in one of these if someone finds a decent place to get hold of them, mine scraped the MOT the other day but there's no way it'll go through in 12 months time and I'd rather pre-empt and get it sorted sooner rather than later!
I've ordered mine from the same Ebay seller as MarkAP68 who kindly advised me. He was happy with his.

It sounds like a good option for the budget constrained amongst us. MarkAP68 advised it was a good fit (which is half the battle) even if it was a little more noisy.

I'll post back how it goes. It should arrive and be fitted by end of next week.
ImageImage
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

The budget exhaust (£45.46 with postage) was fitted today. I let the garage do it just in case I had problems.

They said it fitted easily although when I asked them if it had a flattened section for the subframe they said no and that they had to heat it up with a torch and bend it.

It is a bit noisy but it's a pleasant enough noisy if that makes sense, ie it sounds a bit throaty.

With fitting being a shade under £60 I've fixed it for £105 total. Worth a punt if you're on a tight budget compared with £250-£350 at your local exhaust centre.

And it got the car through the MOT which is the main thing :)

The ebay seller is only-exhaust. It shows a UK address but comes from Poland in under a week. Packaging not the greatest but it did the job.
ImageImage
MarkAP68

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MarkAP68 »

Shame you couldn't have done it yourself to save a few more quid....I must have been lucky as mine cleared the subframe easily :)
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

photo's are compulsory....you do realise

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Rob56

blank

Post by Rob56 »

Incase anyone is interested - Here's mine from the same seller - Decent bit of kit, but definitely louder than the original that I removed.
Had zero problems fitting, there was a flattened section to clear the subframe all for £45- I had x10 more problems with my replacement cat pipe from Eurocarparts than I had with the exhaust fitting :)
MarkAP68

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MarkAP68 »

Mine is the same and it had the flattened section too so was a doddle to fit....I got my cat off ebay, this was a lot easier to fit than the existing one I took off due to the top nuts from the down pipe to cat were impossible to get to on the existing one...the new one has a different shaped pipe so nuts are easier to fit
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

As the other 2 of you who have bought from this seller say you had the flattened section for the subframe I suspect mine was no different and the workshop manager was mistaken when I asked him and he said no. He usually follows each job quite closely but might have been mistaken here.

I never took it out of the box before handing it to him to check myself.
ImageImage