Superchips?

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
teacher54

Z3 roadster 2.0

Superchips?

Post by teacher54 »

Have a 2000 2.0L. Superchips claim an increase of 10bhp for this engine plus better mid-range performance. Anybody got any experience of this on this particular engine? thanks.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I wouldn't bother unless that car is turbocharged otherwise you probably won't notice the difference. I could be wrong but usually a generic remap (especially from somewhere like Superchips) doesn't do much at all on a non-turbo engine.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I would suggest a 'Live Remap' rather than a 'Generic Remap'.

I had the 'Live' on my 2.8 and the driveability of the car was much improved and the mid range felt more responsive
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage

Superchips

Post by Guest »

I agree - my 2.8 had the Superchips generic programme, followed by tweaking its parameters on a rolling road, and it is certianly better in the mid-range, without increasing fuel consumption. Perhaps a 15 bhp increase is the best they have ever attained - but it is not guaranteed. The real bonus is torque without sacrificing economy, or even improving it a little.

Power was up by 10 bhp, which is about it for a normally-aspirated engine - our Golf TDI increased by 50 bhp!

Chipped UK appear to be the current best, in terms of power and money.
Bloke

Other roadster

Re: Superchips?

Post by Bloke »

teacher54 wrote:Have a 2000 2.0L. Superchips claim an increase of 10bhp for this engine plus better mid-range performance. Anybody got any experience of this on this particular engine? thanks.
I had my Z3 2.0ltr remapped a number of years ago by Jason @ chipped UK in Birmingham. Was definitely worth it, definitely had more pull at the high end. Aparently about 14BHP

Bloke
RobBruce

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by RobBruce »

Generic or 'plug-in' remaps/ecus are not worth the paper the ad is printed on IMHO.

If you're gonna do it, do it properly. Get a Live Remap done. ChippedUK are very popular on here - gains from 14bhp - 25 bhp on non-turbo cars.

HTH

Rob
Alex L

Other roadster

Post by Alex L »

RobBruce wrote: ChippedUK are very popular on here
But very unpopular elsewhere. I've never seen a decent power increase of more than a couple of bhp on an NA engine from a re-map.
RobBruce

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by RobBruce »

I've seen the rolling road proof of just under 220bhp from a NA 2.8, using super unleaded.

14bhp upwards for the Live remap does seem to be the norm with them. Maybe it just works better on some engines?
chutley

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Re: Superchips?

Post by chutley »

Bloke wrote:
teacher54 wrote:Have a 2000 2.0L. Superchips claim an increase of 10bhp for this engine plus better mid-range performance. Anybody got any experience of this on this particular engine? thanks.
I had my Z3 2.0ltr remapped a number of years ago by Jason @ chipped UK in Birmingham. Was definitely worth it, definitely had more pull at the high end. Aparently about 14BHP

Bloke
Is that the same jason that now has his own business pro-torque?

I have a 2006 2.5i (177bhp) that I am thinking of getting mapped. Jason reckons that with Super Unleaded it will gain up to 15 bhp, but the 'driveability' and throttle response will be much bettr.

Is it worth getting done?
D19NYW

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by D19NYW »

bloke... i am from brum and have a 2.0 z3..... was this a live remap or generic one?

if you dont mind me asking where abouts in brum are they and how much they charge....?

thanks