BMW Performance Brake Upgrade - 6 pot Brembo bargains

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

BMW Performance Brake Upgrade - 6 pot Brembo bargains

Post by Jonttt »

There has been a lot of press recently regarding the BMW performance brake kit.

Lots of people seem to be upgrading current model BMW to these as the price is a bit of a bargain (I believe they can be had for <£1,000)

The company that seem to be supplying them (according to magazine right ups) are based very near to where I live.

I contacted them and they said that they have een concentrating on current models but plan to "experiment" on the Z3's.

I have "volunteered" my car :D

I am no expert in brakes and wondored what thoughts people had on these compared to the stock brakes (assuming they can get them to work) :?:

http://shop.speedreligion.net/bmw-perfo ... 1358-p.asp
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Kolgan

M roadster S50

Post by Kolgan »

Think of unsprung weight and ask how much weight for just a front disk + calipers ?

i think you will have a surprise, i guessthat why AP cost more but are much more efficient in some way for the weigh (a 6 pots caliper weight nothing at all).
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

The discs are bigger but I imagine the calipers must be alloy which means the weight will probably be the same in total as the factory brakes.
Kolgan

M roadster S50

Post by Kolgan »

c_w wrote:The discs are bigger but I imagine the calipers must be alloy which means the weight will probably be the same in total as the factory brakes.
I will not bet a penny on that because you can have brembo caliper made with thawn (for ex : 406 Coupe,Fiat Coupe,Lotus Esprit etc ..).

I think it's maybe a question to answer because it's good to have more braking power for sure but if you can improve your chassis reaction at the same for a bite more (you can get a AP racing 4 pots for 1.8K on evolve) it could worth it.

1kg of unsprung mass => 10kg of sprung mass :D
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Way beyond me guys :D

All I know is that apparently these are the upgrade to get on the 135i and 335i at the moment (after remaps) and I've seen them noted in a lot of the performance mags on spec lists :wink:

However, I have read lots of people say stay stock on the ///M's as the brakes are fine. To be honest for road use I don't seem to get too much fade but stopping power could be better and I am getting a bit of judder on hard braking. Nothing to worry about too much and I should leave well alone until next year, but I have a new toy and am in tinkering mode :bawl:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

The stock setup is bloody awful so I don't know who you have been talking to :P :D that goes for M3s E36 and E46 too. Well it's half-baked as standard I would say, it just needs better pads and some additional cooling and they're fine.
V12s

M coupe S54

Post by V12s »

It would seem the issue with the brake kit (certainly the front) is the caliper width and offset of the Z3M wheel.

I'm wiating for the guys at Speed religion to confirm the width/space required so I can establish wether its a goer or not.

If they fit they're going on!
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

V12, keep us updated :wink:
mushama

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by mushama »

V12 - any news?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Mushama

I've read on other forums that it won't fit the z3m (I can't remember were but may have been Z3mCoupe) :bawl:
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

They look like they will be a significant improvement in braking. True discs will be heavier but i imagine the calipers to be alot lighter than the standard type.

Are they billet alloy ?

Will your master cylinder have to be changed to feed the 6 pots ??
fluxco

Z4 Alpina Roadster S

Post by fluxco »

hi guys

any update on this?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I don't think so Fluxco, may be worth you giving speed religion a bell and asking re the Z4.
fluxco

Z4 Alpina Roadster S

Post by fluxco »

coolio, thanks for that

i think this is definitely one for my wish list
snatch

M roadster S50

6 pot brakes

Post by snatch »

I have a 6 pot HI SPEC caliper disc and brackets + braided pipe set for sale that will bolt on to a Z3M and possibly Z3. for sale, massive improvement on standard + a good match for any brake system.
£800 to forum members.