Engine Remapping at Evolve

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Engine Remapping at Evolve

Post by billz »

Hi all
I am trying to find out who is interested in getting there engines remapped, This not only increases the power but also the fuel efficiency. This will take place Luton, i have been in talks with a company who will offer discounts for group bookings. This being Evolve of Luton. Please let me know who is interested and i will make a list. Price £250 for Dyno before Remap takes place and Dyno after Remap, there is additional £50 for Z4s due to the extra work involved. This is an excellent price including full remap and 2 dyno runs, most companies charge £250 + just for the remap.
There are already me and my sons 325 on the list. I will be looking at getting things rolling for 2nd October.

Definates
billz Z3 3.0 + sons 325ti compact
m murf Z4 3.0
Gary the fish Z3m
dpbayly Z3 2.0
Elt Z3m

Possible on the day
perrin Z3m

List now closed
Last edited by billz on Mon 23 Aug, 2010 17:49, edited 8 times in total.
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Be careful with people just happy to take your money as be its very nature a "remap" is not something you can physically see what your getting.

Most "remaps" are simple software re writes and what you are paying for is

a) the time it took to develop and write the remap
b) the time it takes to re write the software

There are various ways this can be done and impact on cost. The most expensive is a "live" remap which is custom made for your vehicle. This is very time consuming and needs a very experienced person and is only really needed if the car has been heavily modified and an "off the shelf" remap would not optimise the car.

The cheapest is an "off the shelf" remap which has previously been developed and proven to give improvements. As these remaps for the Z3's are pretty old now and the original development costs have been recovered many years ago you can get some good deals on these and what you are effectively paying for is the time to "install" the remap.

The "middle" ground involves dyno runs before and after the remap so you can see the difference to torque and BHP.

Its worth noting:

Lots of remaps are sold as "live" remaps when they are simply off the shelf :head:

Remaps do not necessarily improve BHP eg most newer auto BMW's have 2 default maps so when you press the "sport" button the throttle repsonse is changed, you get no more BHP but the car "feels" faster simply because gears are changed at higher revs, fuel consumption goes down as a consequence (although its common for 3rd party remaps to improve MPG).

Each engine type will need a different remap

the remap is usually a computer upload via a serial interface and involves abcking up the original software and rewriting with the new map. This is very time consuming and can take 2 hours :shock:

It is very dependant on the quality of the remap.

So if I was looking at this I would be asking more questions especially about which remap it is and if its proven (ie I would want at least one car on the dyno to prove results). I would also doubt he could physically do 15 cars in a day so presumably the actual remapping would be spread out over a booking in system?

Just a bit of food for thought, its not like buying solid item you can touch and feel and it amazes me how many people part with hundreds of pounds and when you ask them about what they got in return they either have no idea or quite happily tell you they got a "full live remap" for £200 :shock:

In terms of cost I would be asking how long it will take X a fair labour rate + a bit of money towards the software (remember this is now old "stock" software) to get a feel for if I'm getting value for money.

Ideally use a recommended BMW remapper (I used Evolve for my S50 which are regarded as one of the best for S50 engines and travelled a few hundred miles so I knew I was getting a proven product). It took over half a day in there workshop with before and after dynos for £300 which I thought was great value (this equated to their labour time and a bit towards their "old" software ie it was easy money to them using old product)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Mad Max

blank

Post by Mad Max »

I've always used Enda, he really knows his sh*t - he's done both my M3 and Z3:

www.EndTuning.com
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

thanks jonttt
have been intouch with evolve and they will do it for £250 including dyno if i can get 5 cars. they also reckon they can do a very good remap on the m54 engine :D So only need another 3 :squeeze:
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
///m murf
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by ///m murf »

Count me in for a 30i Z4

I was speaking to Imran and Sal at Gaydon on Sunday, normal price is £349 inc for a Z4
Mark
The Original ///M Roadster + maybe just a couple of mods! Gone but never forgotten, now in a Z4
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

billz wrote:thanks jonttt
have been intouch with evolve and they will do it for £250 including dyno if i can get 5 cars. they also reckon they can do a very good remap on the m54 engine :D So only need another 3 :squeeze:
Thats a great price including a dyno run (try and get them to do a before and after :wink: )

If you do go there take something to eat with you but they have plenty of magazines to read :D

ps they are regarded as one of the best BMW remappers and are often featured on high end moded cars. On of the benefits of having an older car though is you can get a tried and tested product much cheaper.

Here is my old car on their dyno (click to play):

Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Thanks jonttt. I did email enda who max uses good price but no dyno came out at £245 but would get a 10% discount for 4 cars. But would prefer the dyno and for the sake of £25 feel evolve would be the better option. So just need 2 more cars to join the list. I have been told that with a simota fitted and remap i should get around 248bhp and max speed around 155mph whilst also saving around 2-4 mpg.
billz z3 3.0
billz son 325ti
murf z4 3.0

when there is enough i will arrange for deposits and make all booking arrangements.

So anyone interested in get their Z or anyother car they have remapped.
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Daz2626

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Daz2626 »

possible interest here, don't know what they can squeeze out of an M44 block though :|
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Spoke to evolve today reguarding remaps.
m44 engines will only gain upto 8bhp
with the m52 and m54 they say they can do a very good remap but output does depend on cars and files so can vary. All z4s are an additional £50 due to the ECU having to be removed and the extra work involved. They also say that they have got the best out of tuning z3ms than anyone else (though how they know this i dont know)
I also asked them about induction kits and their response was that on my car i wouldnt gain anything so in their oppinion would be a waste of time, but the good news is they just saved me £260 as no need to buy one so hey remap is free :D
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

rempas are not all about raw BHP improvements, you notice more difference from throttle response improvements :wink:
///m murf
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by ///m murf »

An extra £50 is fine by me
Mark
The Original ///M Roadster + maybe just a couple of mods! Gone but never forgotten, now in a Z4
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Jonttt i quite agree,
when i spoke to evolve they told me that even the m44 engine people will notice a better drive as things will work smoother. They also said when we go down they will explain what they are doing and how it all works, they reckon we will be quite suprised at what they explain. Also the remap is a dyno before and a dyno when it is done as they reckon there is no point if they can not show us the difference.
Got to admit they do seem very helpful and quite informative.
Thanks jonttt for putting me in touch with them.
I think the price they quoted for 5 cars plus stands no matter how many cars i can get as they said they will still do mine and my sons 325 for the same deal and also murfs z4 for just £50 extra. So all in all am very :D
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
PERRIN Z3M

M roadster S50

Post by PERRIN Z3M »

Any ideas of dates as I would be interested

Steve
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

I am looking at the first weekend of october. Due to the fact i dont get back from Turkey till 15th then i am on call for the next couple of weekends. So the first available weekend i have that i can guarentee is the 2nd october
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
PERRIN Z3M

M roadster S50

Post by PERRIN Z3M »

I would not be able to commit to that date as my wife is expecting and the due date is 30 sept so it would be silly for me to book up that close.
If things change maybe I could be an extra on the day.

Steve
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

congrats on soon becoming a father perrin.
What i will do is when i book it which will be weekending 18th sept, i will tell them how many but there maybe the chance of one more on the day due to your curcumstances, i am sure they would understand.
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
PERRIN Z3M

M roadster S50

Post by PERRIN Z3M »

Excellent I will let you know closer to the day.

Steve
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I'll join the party at Evolve :D

S54 ///M

I would suggest you change the first post to read remaps at Evolve, you'll probably get more response :wink:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
///m murf
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by ///m murf »

garythefish wrote:I'll join the party at Evolve
Good man
Mark
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I've posted up a link on the coupe forum for you :wink:
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

jonttt wrote
I've posted up a link on the coupe forum for you
Hi jonttt dont know if i am being a bit thick here :?: but have checked through your posts for the last couple of days and can not find the link :!:
and i am certainly not going to check through over 4000 posts :lol: as i wont have time as i go away next sat :D so if i am being a bit thick you might have to do a link to the link :lol:
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Bill,

You still need to change the text in your first post, it mentions remapping in the Leeds area and this may put people off reading the whole thread as it may be too far for them to travel, I nearly never read the whole thread.

Just a thought.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Hi gary. First post edited let me know if anything else comes to mind either adding or deleting.
cheers bill
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
dpbayly

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by dpbayly »

i was at Evolve the other day thats where i buy all my HID kits from and had my little 3cyl 1.4 TDI seat remapped there which they did a great job of they RR it before and after it was running 79bhp and 162lbft and after it made 108bhp and 226lft there so much scope for turbo diesels.

Anyway im definatly up for having mine remaped aswell, is it still happening the 2nd october?
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

dpbayly Wrote
Anyway im definatly up for having mine remaped aswell, is it still happening the 2nd october?

I have e-mailed him this morning to see if he can do it for the 2nd october
Will give him a call in the morning. I will be booking it for the 2nd if he is available. Will let everyone know the true date for definate by the end of this week.
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

billz wrote:Hi jonttt dont know if i am being a bit thick here :?: but have checked through your posts for the last couple of days and can not find the link :!:
and i am certainly not going to check through over 4000 posts :lol: as i wont have time as i go away next sat :D so if i am being a bit thick you might have to do a link to the link :lol:
Lol its a different forum specific to Z3m Coupes :D

here is the link if your interested:

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10290
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Date booked for the remapping folks :D . sat 2/10/10 Total of 5 cars so far with possibly 1 more on the day.
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Excellent, really looking forward to this :D
Gazza

ImageImage
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Me too we have a nice selection of various types of engine so will be interesting to so what each one does and what everyone thinks after they have driven them.
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Elt

M roadster S50

Post by Elt »

Hi any room left if so i'm very very interested. :D
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Yes as i have told Evolve i will keep them informed of add ons and what type of car is to do and they are very happy for the numbers so far. Elt do you want adding to the definates :?:
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Elt

M roadster S50

Post by Elt »

Great thanks
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Spoke to Evolve today and they say no more than 6 to 8 cars so the list is now closed. If anyone else is interested then i do not mind arranging a further visit for a different day but there must be at least five cars.
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Does not surprise me that they have limited the numbers as it does take a few hours each car although you can do some overlaps with the dyno runs as cars are being remapped etc.... :wink:
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Jonttt thanks for recomending them. Big diference to them only being able to do between 6-8 cars and others being able to do around 15 :roll: nearly all Remappers are the same price so who does the best, think its a no brainer :lol:
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold