Supercharged Z3 ?

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
jayson f

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Supercharged Z3 ?

Post by jayson f »

Hi has anyone out there either fitted a supercharger kit or retro fitted a supercharger of another car. If so do you have any pictures or a list of the bits you used, any info will be greatly recieved. My car is a 3.0 m54 engine:thumb:
Last edited by jayson f on Thu 20 Jan, 2011 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
unclemart

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by unclemart »

Have a look at this link - from marknorton one of our guru's :bow

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... percharger
Remember "To become old and wise - First you need to be young and stupid"

Titanium Silver 2.0
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Guru ? !!! :D

never thought of myself like that haha

anyhow, anything is possible, just how much time, effort, money and research you want to put in

you could go for something like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Supercharger-Eato ... 27b7eeb2aa

and then make up a suitable inlet manifold, or i believe there are a few kits available that use the centrifugal type blower (the eaton is a roots)

bmw engines are pretty robust and will take a reasonable amount of boost. but if you play it safe around 6-7psi it should be fine

turbocharging is another good option as you dont get the loss from driving the blower
Still modifying
jayson f

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by jayson f »

I Was thinking of centrifugal as they seem to be more compact, i know they make a ready made kit but its more than £3,500.I was thinking of getting a supercharger and making the rest myself , but unsure if you can use standard ECU ect, dont want to melt the engine its only done 53,000 if i could do it for £1500 i would consider it .Ive built engine,s with bike carbs on so im no mechanical dunce :dunce: but do not know much about supercharging. If its looks like to much work ill put the money towards a Z3m!!
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Stu is you best man for advice on this drop him a PM or I am sure he will drop in shortly.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

We've had a ESS V2-SQ (centrifugal) on our Z (2.8 M52TU) for years and it's been ace. It only runs 6psi (<0.5 bar) so very safe. 280 bhp @ rear wheels and the same engine characteristics = great fun and a bit of a Q car. It's now similar pace to an M, but whereas people recognise M's they have no idea why the 'hairdressers car' is toasting them! Here's me playing with an Audi S4 on a runway. Only managed a true 145mph as it revs out in top!

I am currently toying with upgrading the the ESS TS2 system and if you're seriously interested, I would probably go for a trade of my Vortech. Otherwise, I was going to upgrade the boost with the current install, which would require an intercooler/chargecooler. I will be talking to Simpson Motorsport about this and could enquire about swapping on your behalf.

Standard ECU got sent to ESS for flashing BTW, so no issues there. Their kits very high quality and the install is also possible as a DIY job, I didn't want to spend the time and got a warranty from NS Racing (ESS Agent).

Brakes/suspension as standard can just about cope, but I would recommend upgrading both to more appropriatly sporty spec kit. Buy carefully though as we had a German brand of coilovers which failed on the car, luckily on a skid pan at low speed!

Insurance would be worth checking too, but Flux have always been very good for us and relatively ok on price (need checking every year though) and currently insure my modified 996TT too.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
jayson f

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by jayson f »

Thanks just an idea at the moment will think about it, cheers for the offer.By the way nice car!!!
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

I think for £1500 you'd be struggling to turbo or supercharge your engine.

Its not just the major items of kit, its the little items that creep in like gremlins !

you defo need a rolling road session and map for the fueling, running lean on a FI engine will soon melt it. I had/have got a wideband lambda, its accurate too, but when i was running close to 11psi the fueling was virtually at max on the injectors. Increasing fuel against boost can be done but it costs. the BMW knock sensors sort out most of the ignition on boost to a degree.
Cost me £400 first time on the rollers and £70 second time to perfect

other considerations are cooling and the clutch. both will be under increased stress.

it could be done, but i reackon with main parts, manifold fabrication/machining, tuning and alike it would be closer to £3k minimum. i know how much mine run me, and there arent that many shortcuts

good luck though if you go for it, we need more tuned and modified cars here on zroadster 8-)
Still modifying