...gone are the 8080, long live the F1s

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
BartS
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

...gone are the 8080, long live the F1s

Post by BartS »

after only the briefest of considerations following my post recently re the non-performance of my rear F1s in combi with the Dunlop 8080 on the front, I can now happily say the 8080s are gone

Wanted to get them sorted quickly this weekend, called around local fitters and got a reasonable deal with locally based and v capable fitter in Milton Keynes. Not the same supplier as the ones for the rear (Wembley Tires) and I am glad I changed.

Got the fronts fitted and whilst I was there, also asked the fitters to double check the balancing of my rears, even though these were fitted by a different fitter the week before.
It was just a request out of despair and curiosity I suppose as I wanted to know once and for all, that there was nothing wrong with the F1s on the rear.

To my suprise, (or maybe not actually) the guys quickly confirmed that the balancing on both rear was out somewhat. As said b4, the rears did not vibrate after they were fitted but just did not handle./grip well at all, so the double check was just done initially to eliminate another reason why the rears did not grip.

with now both fronts and rears properly balanced, I took it out for a good drive this weekend, went to Silverstone (LeMans Endurance Series & a bit of shitty corporate hospitality :wink: ) , found some totally stunning roads to drive between Bicester and Milton Keynes and drove the car arguably harder than I have done in a long time, what a pleasure to see the DSC light only come one a few times - when driven very hard - rather than having the DSC light on on the straights as I had before!

Very impressed so far with the F1s all around, (225/45/17 & 245/40/17) and now just have to check their performance in the wet!

Bring on the Rutted Toad, my baby is ready!

PS sorry for posting a new thread on this, my proxy server did not allow me to access my old thread for some reason!
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Barts I've just bought an M// with Dunlops on. I can tell they aren't as slick as the F1's I have on my 2.8. I'll have no difficulty deciding what to replace the Dunlops with when I've worn them out.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

General consensus has always been that 8080's were about 5 years behind their time :lol: There is also bit of disbelief about why BMW chose to fit this rubber to so many of their cars, in particularly those of a more sporty persuasion!
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Giles, do you have F1's on your two cars ?
Last edited by Robin on Mon 16 Aug, 2004 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
BartS
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by BartS »

very true Giles

and I mentioned this also to the guys who fitted my front F1 about old tyre design etc.

they went on to say this was not true, 8080 was bespoke BMW design yada yada, fact of the matter is I took him out for a drive and showed him the 8080 handling - proof is in the pudding - and am now glad that I have the F1 GSD3 fitted all around!
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

BartS wrote:..and am now glad that I have the F1 GSD3 fitted all around!
Excellent Bart, I'm glad you're sorted :D
See you Sunday?
BartS
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

yes will be at Gaydon

Post by BartS »

are meeting up again to drive up to Gaydon as last year (I should be more able to follow you this time though)

mtg point at Bicester was quite OK I think

Have PM-ed Phil to double check what time his first cruize starts on Sunday!

are bringing Charlotte & Nemesis?
nero

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by nero »

When we were at the Lakes, we discussed the 8080's and both agreed that they "lacked performance".

I'm glad you have perceived with the F1's and got a satisfactory conclusion. Hopefully this will give other members (me included) to go down the F1 route :)

Hopefully, I will be at Gaydon (but I will be with the Jocks ) maybe see you there ?
BMWCCScotland

Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.