slow acting hood

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
dpmotorcycles

Z3 roadster 1.9

slow acting hood

Post by dpmotorcycles »

Help again! Some times my hood takes a while to act. i go through the sequence afew time before it decides to come down, other times i can press the button and it come straight down, (its the same putting it up) any suggestions to what could cause this? not sure if this has anything to do with it but the side electric window are quite slow as well....................
DrSasha

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by DrSasha »

Try checking the hydraulic fluid lever in the power top motor.
It is in the trunk, left side on the side under the carpet.
There is a white plastic reservoir there, and the fluid needs to be up to a dot in the middle.
dpmotorcycles

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by dpmotorcycles »

DrSasha wrote:Try checking the hydraulic fluid lever in the power top motor.
It is in the trunk, left side on the side under the carpet.
There is a white plastic reservoir there, and the fluid needs to be up to a dot in the middle.
i will have a look at that tomorrow, what should i top it up with if its low?
DrSasha

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by DrSasha »

There is a special fluid you can get from the dealer.
Don't put anything else inside...
dpmotorcycles

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by dpmotorcycles »

DrSasha wrote:There is a special fluid you can get from the dealer.
Don't put anything else inside...

Ok if I need some I'll pop over and get some and report back, fingers crossed that sorts it as I was stuck at the pub with the roof down tonight :)
DrSasha

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by DrSasha »

Oh mate....
You have a little T like metal bar, that in case of trouble can be turned counter clock wise, and the roof begins to be manually operated. It is also on that power top motor in your trunk.

First thing you should do, and that if you hear the motor while pressing the button to close, and if the fluid Is topped, is to check that T rotating switch, that it's turned all the way clock wise ( to the right)
dpmotorcycles

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by dpmotorcycles »

Ok, liquids checked and it goes right through the middle of the dot/circle and lines up with two of the 4 markers around the out side of the dot, this is at a angle due to the position of the motor so i guess this is correct. The T bar is fully to the right aswell, this is becoming a bit of a head scratcher, is there any more suggestions out there, im very happy to check everything suggested and thanks for the suggestion so far.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

There was another thread on this very subject recently. First you need to determine whether it is an electrical or hydraulic problem. Electrical problems are far more common, especially as there are no less than three switches involved to operate the roof.

Electrical problems can be:

1. Brake light switch on the brake pedal - do your brake lights work?
2. Microswitch above the passenger door
3. Wiring leading up to the microswitch above the door can break - this can lead to intermittent problems as you describe
4. The up/down control switch

Try operating the roof with the engine off (we don't tend to do this as it drains the battery) and listen carefully to the pump motor. If it is running and the roof is not moving, it is likely to a hydraulic problem. If it stops and starts then it is likely to be an electrical problem.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
dpmotorcycles

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by dpmotorcycles »

Robert T wrote:There was another thread on this very subject recently. First you need to determine whether it is an electrical or hydraulic problem. Electrical problems are far more common, especially as there are no less than three switches involved to operate the roof.

Electrical problems can be:

1. Brake light switch on the brake pedal - do your brake lights work?
2. Microswitch above the passenger door
3. Wiring leading up to the microswitch above the door can break - this can lead to intermittent problems as you describe
4. The up/down control switch

Try operating the roof with the engine off (we don't tend to do this as it drains the battery) and listen carefully to the pump motor. If it is running and the roof is not moving, it is likely to a hydraulic problem. If it stops and starts then it is likely to be an electrical problem.

Cheers R.
HI thanks for that, it stopped as i want to put it down earlier while the wife had her head in the boot with one ear to the pump, there was no whining apart from the wife so that focoused us on the electrics, i lent over and flicked the micro switch down a little more and down the roof came. I have now bent it slightly so it clears the frame work, during motion. Finger crossed this is it sorted, thanks for the information, it looks like the forum has dont it again, Thank you
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

dpmotorcycles wrote: the wife had her head in the boot with one ear to the pump, there was no whining apart from the wife
:roflmao: