Boring question but.....

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
hornel Z3M

blank

Boring question but.....

Post by hornel Z3M »

First time tonight i decided to test the alarm on the car with the roof open. so i got out, locked the car with the alarm fob, waited for a bit and stuck my hand in and ... nothing :roll: Put the roof up and left a window open and did the same thing and nothing, so i opened the car door with the key and all hell brakes loose, not right surely except the last bit. anyone suggest why.
zedwheels

Z1 Alpina Roadster

Post by zedwheels »

Sounds right to me, its to stop you ever getting out ... that way you gotta stay in your zed all the time!! :lol:
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

I find the proximity sensors a bit hit and miss.
Sometimes you can reach into the cockpit and nothing happens
Other times the alarm activates.
The important thing to remember is that your insurance company will probably void any claim if the vehicle is "not properly secured" ie roof up and doors locked thereby necessitating a forced entry.
I always close the roof when leaving the car to go shoppipng.
It's a bit of a pain but it does keep the seats cool :wink:
Image :devil:
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

IIRC the later type alarm (integrated keyfob) has internal proximity sensors that are located in the footwells, this is differant to the earlier type of alarm which had sensors at the top of the windscreen.

I beleive one of the main reasons to change the position was to stop false alarms when the top was down. Try dangling something inside the footwell when the alarm is set and see if this has any effect.

HTH
hornel Z3M

blank

m

Post by hornel Z3M »

Thanks for the input chaps, will try ardchyles theory and see what happens. :wink:
Ming

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ming »

Had the same thoughts on Sunday at the German Show at Beaulieu. Roof down and alarm set but it wouldn't trigger unless you went into the footwell - if you reach in and try to open the door from the "inside" it won't let you so the only way to get in is to climb over the seats. Didn't try that ...........but it will mean that someone can reach in and nick something not locked away without the alarm sounding, so lock away keys/hats/coats or whatever
Get The Bloody Roof Down!!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I managed to set mine off by lobbing a washleather onto the seat after forgetting I'd locked it with the fob - and mine is the later 3-button integrated fob type.

Watch the alarm LED when you set it. It should just flash steadily - if it flashes fast for 10 secs and then slows down, one of the sensors is trying to trigger it and the alarm will stop listening to that input. Also make sure you only "lock" the car once - "locking" it twice disables the interior and tilt sensors.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

Thanks robert. i have the alarm detectors either side of the top corners of the windscreen and reached in to set the alarm off but nothing happened.
It may be as Titan said, and has a mind of its own, but will further investigate tomorrow. Thanks for everyones input..:wink:
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

ive found them a bit hit or miss.

best to shut up when you leave the car.

The 'BEAST' 666
Peelark

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Peelark »

I'm currently having the problem as described by Robert T. Apparently when I lock the car the red light is flashing quickly and therefore one of the sensors is malfunctioning - probably one/both of the footwell proximity sensors as these don't set off the alarm, but opening a door/bonnet/boot does.

Any simple way to test the footwell sensors?