front left wheel very hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
pete59

Z3 roadster 2.0

front left wheel very hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by pete59 »

Just got back after a run out and some hardish brakeing and the left front wheel is very hot,the others are warm theres also more brake dust on that wheel no signs of sticking or sound,its just much hotter than the others,did notice once before again after heavy brakeing,quite a lot of left hand bends,any ideas please thanks pete
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: front left wheel very hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Robert T »

Most likely to be a binding brake calliper. I had this with mine and got it replaced, but it is possible to unstick them. It needs attending to as the heat is likely to warp the brake disc if you keep driving it.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Pete,

First thought would have to be a sticky brake caliper, this would generate a lot of heat as you described.

Edit: Robert beat me to it :head:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Brian H wrote:Edit: Robert beat me to it :head:
You have to be quick round here. :wink:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

If one wheel is noticably hotter than the others then it's almost certainly a sticky caliper. Fix it quick or it will not only danmge the disc, but it will cook you wheel bearing as well.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
velocemax

M roadster S50

Post by velocemax »

Agree with all the above comments. BUT, this happend to me and I had a long drive home in traffic, on and off the brakes and they failed (totally) !! Had to pull over to cool them down, then drive "gingerly" home. I took the calipers off and rerfurbished them completely. Moral is, get them seen to ASAP !
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

velocemax wrote:Had to pull over to cool them down, then drive "gingerly" home.!
Does "gingerly" get you to drive her everywhere?
:D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Zee3

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zee3 »

Had exactly the same problem myself this week, turned out to be a seized caliper. Had it replaced with a new one today and they checked the right wheel as well while they were at it, cost me £100 inc VAT which i thought was pretty reasonable
Zee 3.......But now have a Zee 4
Dickyt

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dickyt »

Zee3 wrote:Had exactly the same problem myself this week, turned out to be a seized caliper. Had it replaced with a new one today and they checked the right wheel as well while they were at it, cost me £100 inc VAT which i thought was pretty reasonable
I've had the same issue - just got back from quick drive after getting front wheel shake through steering wheel, most noticeable at about 50mph. Thought wheels may need balancing, but when I got home there was a strong smell of hot brakes and front right wheel was very hot to the touch.
I guess I have a sticking brake caliper, plus it may have warped the disc - hence the wheel judder?
Don't mind getting new discs, as I was due to change these anyway along with some new red stuff pads. But it looks like I need to buy a new caliper as well - does anyone know where to get them from for a 3.0i, and what they cost?
Is it advisable to get new calipers for both sides? As I will be putting on new discs and pads on the front axle, I suppose it would make sense to fit all new on both sides?
Zee3

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zee3 »

Dickyt wrote:
Zee3 wrote:Had exactly the same problem myself this week, turned out to be a seized caliper. Had it replaced with a new one today and they checked the right wheel as well while they were at it, cost me £100 inc VAT which i thought was pretty reasonable
I've had the same issue - just got back from quick drive after getting front wheel shake through steering wheel, most noticeable at about 50mph. Thought wheels may need balancing, but when I got home there was a strong smell of hot brakes and front right wheel was very hot to the touch.
I guess I have a sticking brake caliper, plus it may have warped the disc - hence the wheel judder?
Don't mind getting new discs, as I was due to change these anyway along with some new red stuff pads. But it looks like I need to buy a new caliper as well - does anyone know where to get them from for a 3.0i, and what they cost?
Is it advisable to get new calipers for both sides? As I will be putting on new discs and pads on the front axle, I suppose it would make sense to fit all new on both sides?

When my problem started I thought it was a wheel blancing issue. But it was the caliper. My Disc was "fry an egg on it" hot, but the disc didn't warp. I only had the one caliper replaced as they said the other one was OK. Took the car our for a drive after the caliper was replaced and there is no judder under braking so the disc is OK.
I paid £100 fitted for a 2.8, so I should imagine the 3.0 may be similar
Zee 3.......But now have a Zee 4
Dickyt

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dickyt »

Thanks for the comments Zee3, I am not sure whether to have a go at fitting myself. I was going to fit the new discs and pads myself anyway, so fitting new calipers should not be too difficult but I would imagine I will need to bleed the system which I am not too sure about?
My wheel judder is under normal driving, it goes away when braking. I can only assume that the caliper is pushing the pads onto the disc (hence the heat build up), but either the disc is warped or it's catching unevenly - as why the judder?
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Most calipers are the same across the E36, E46 Z3 and Z4 range so you can pick up a second hand one very cheap from ebay. I paid £16 for 2 calipers along with carriers from a Z4 3.0 about a month ago. The calipers are pretty easy to change yourself, you will already have it off if you are changing the pads so it just means disconnecting the brake pipe (be careful of the leaking fluid) and then reconnecting it to the new one, then bleed the brakes.

Part number for a right (drivers side) caliper is 34116758114 and a list of matching vehicles they are fitted to is HERE so if you search ebay for a caliper off any of them vehicles you should be fine, you could probably get one for a tenner.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Dickyt

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dickyt »

g8jka wrote:Most calipers are the same across the E36, E46 Z3 and Z4 range so you can pick up a second hand one very cheap from ebay. I paid £16 for 2 calipers along with carriers from a Z4 3.0 about a month ago. The calipers are pretty easy to change yourself, you will already have it off if you are changing the pads so it just means disconnecting the brake pipe (be careful of the leaking fluid) and then reconnecting it to the new one, then bleed the brakes.

Part number for a right (drivers side) caliper is 34116758114 and a list of matching vehicles they are fitted to is HERE so if you search ebay for a caliper off any of them vehicles you should be fine, you could probably get one for a tenner.
Thanks for the advice g8jka - my local indie has quoted me £50 for a new caliper, and only £80 labour for fitting it along with new disc'c & pads that I will provide. Lazy I know, but for £80 I am happy for them to do the fitting. I am just a little unsure as to whether I should go for a new caliper on the other side to balance things out?
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Yes it is probably better to replace them in pairs that way they are done and are both the same quality. You may as well pay for a pair of new calipers and get them changed at the same time whilst he is doing the discs and pads and he won't charge you twice for the labour either ;-)
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Dickyt

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dickyt »

g8jka wrote:Yes it is probably better to replace them in pairs that way they are done and are both the same quality. You may as well pay for a pair of new calipers and get them changed at the same time whilst he is doing the discs and pads and he won't charge you twice for the labour either ;-)
My thoughts exactly - for an extra £50 it would be daft not to....