Upgrade Panel Filter

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Dickyt

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Upgrade Panel Filter

Post by Dickyt »

I am thinking of upgrading my panel Air filter from the standard paper one to something slightly better. I don't want to go down the Induction kit route - I am quite happy with my stock performance & noise from the 3.0 ltr engine, plus I don't want to give my insurance company another reason to charge me more.
I just want to make sure the engine is breathing as good as it can be - can anyone recommend a specific make? Seems to be a choice between K&N / Pipercross / ITG.
Cheers
Richard
PCSAM

blank

Re: Upgrade Panel Filter

Post by PCSAM »

i put a K&N in my 3.0i
easy peasy install
I put it on 1 week after getting the car . so cant really comment on performance as its a very fast car to start with ......still on miles per smile
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

K&N are good at the price. Simota are easy maintenace.."no oiling" They both do much the same though. Have a look at this website:- 360 Infinite US.com, do a search for Simota and K&N for BMW and decide. Your MOT shouldn't be affected by the air filter, and besides, whichever you choose, it's an easy reverse to replace the OEM for the MOT and insurance.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

The jury is out on the precise performance gains these filters bring. Some claim they add a “few BHP” but laboratory tested BHP at the flywheel and what you actually experience at the road surface are two entirely different things. For a rear wheel drive. manual car around 25% BHP is lost through the drivetrain of which tyres/wheels can account for a large amount. So in theory having thinner, harder tyres would give you BHP gains at the road surface. The biggest gain with these filters (when they are fitted in isolation) is a sportier engine noise.
peteslag

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by peteslag »

I know a guy who has remaped hundreds of cars, with performance and normal filters. This is from the horses mouth "performance filters make naff all difference to a standard car".

Unless you plan to carry out engine mods I wouldn't bother, a standard filter is fine. Save your money for :cheers
Z3 3.0, Ford ST220, Jaguar XK8, Mr2 GT Turbo, Fiat Bravo HGT, Cavalier, Astra convertible, MK1 Astra GTE, XR3i, E21 323i, XR3, Cavalier, VW Jetta, Rover SDi, Capri 2.0S, Audi 80 GTE, another Cavalier, brown Astra van, Citroen GS Club (we all had to start somewhere).
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

they sound faster.... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..