Performance Chips

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Yella

Z3 roadster 1.9

Performance Chips

Post by Yella »

This week I have had to take my Z3 for repair :shock: , The fault started as a rather uneven increase in power as I put my foot down, this had gradually got worse over the time I've owned it Nothing really major just a slight lack of power here and there, Until the other day Sunday in fact it just died as I was happily driving along :head: . I managed to get home with a few more dies of the engine and some rather loud back firing HOW EMBARRASSING :oops: . To cut a long story short apparently it was the CAM SHAFT SENSOR this was faulty giving misreadings to the Crankshaft sensor, I've had it replaced £117 but WOW :P What a difference in the car it's feels more powerful and so much smoother. Now after seeing the difference 1 faulty sensor can make I am interested in getting it chipped.

Anyone had any good feedback about this, I am scanning through the net but wouldn't mind any extra help or your views.
Caspar

M roadster S50

Post by Caspar »

Why not a Supercharger?? I think there's a lot of possibilities for supercharging a 1.9 out there. Since there's no turbo in Your car, the use of a Performance chip doesn't give that much.. Without overdoing it You'll get 50% more power at least.

I'm looking for that to the Z3M but since that engine puts out rather much performance to begin with, it's hard to find a supercharger that doesn't risk breaking the engine.
Caspar Friedrich Image
M Roadster

Yella

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Yella »

MMMMM But Superchargers are obviously better but more expensive, the obvious thing to do is sell mine and buy either a 2.8 or M if it means spending that sort of money. I was more looking for a cheapish way of gaining some extra BHP.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Apparently the 2.8 can respond well to chipping as it is purposely restricted from the factory to 193bhp (which is why the 2.5s make the same power) apparently for insurance reasons and the 3.0s make 40bhp extra just with 200cc more!

Althought the inlet manifold on the 2.8 has smaller inlet tracts (a 2.5 manifold is supposed to be a performance upgrade as it has bigger inlet tracts) a chip might give some more power.

My brother is having his 328i Sport chipped shortly and I'lll let you know what difference it makes as I may ahve the same done to my Z3. I'm still sceptical at the moment though as I have experience in the past of chips for n/a cars that don't make any difference at all.
Yella

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Yella »

I have also heard that it wouldn't make that much difference maybe 5-10bhp but with a few other little tweaks it all adds up and for maybe around £200 that's not bad, Like I said just toying with the Idea until I either get some good feedback from someone that has done it or I find a part that it fairly well recognised. C_W would like to know how that works out & if the car felt quicker or more responsive.