A THOROUGHLY FRUSTRATING MORNING...

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

A THOROUGHLY FRUSTRATING MORNING...

Post by Southernboy »

You know those days when you set off to get a half dozen things done....and as you leave your first stop, it all goes pear shaped! Yes, well I collected a new Viscous fan clutch, and set off for the next stop at my mailbox. Parked and collected my mail, and decided to have an espresso before continuing. As I approached my car, I noticed it was standing in a lovely green coloured puddle....yes, the engine coolant... :head:
Well the car wasn't going anywhere under it's own power from there on. I did trace the fault to one of the hoses which supplies water to the heater, and sod's law says it has to be the one which runs behind the cylinder head... :head: :head:
Well, the Z has blown an artery, so it's now laid up at my mechanic for a couple of days.... Towing fee £.32.00... :head: :head: :head: New hose + fitting £. 110.00.... :head: :head: :head:
Just one of those days.... :cry:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: A THOROUGHLY FRUSTRATING MORNING...

Post by Gazza »

I know the feeling.....

Halfshaft oil seals and four wheel bearings on the Mustang...............£487.09
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Ouch ! Why do we do this stuff...we must be masochists. Maybe it's time to look at a new Z4 M Roadster, with the warranties, service plans etc etc. But just wouldn't be as satisfying somehow, and probably more expensive anyway.
"Normal is overrated"

pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Just think how you would be feeling if it was Evans coolant all over the car park :shock: .
Pingu
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...groan!!!! Maybe if the whole world used Evans, it would be as cheap as chips too...sadly not yet. I believe it's non toxic too...Seems odd the "tree huggers" haven't jumped onto that one yet. I would have thought they would have frontlined Evans years ago.
"Normal is overrated"

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

feeling your pain mate ......... you have done so muck top the car ,and yet it plays up and spills it fluids to piss you off .. is your car called Christine by any chance :shock:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thanks mate. I must say, I'd rather it happened around the suburbs than out in the country!! I should have it back tomorrow. I had been warned by the overheating, and maybe that just provided a catalyst for a weakened hose to finally split. It's not a very expensive part, and since I had already got the Fan clutch, waterpump and a new aluminium thermostat cover too, it is perhaps fortunate that it happened now, so the whole lot can be done in one move.
"Normal is overrated"

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

tell us more about the aluminium thermostat cover and links if possible :D
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I bought it off eBay UK about a year ago. At the time I was told that the OEM "PLASTIC" thermostat covers had a specified life, and that they were also prone to cracking when they get old. I had just replaced mine about a year prior to that when the Thermostat itself had stuck in the open position. It's been in my garage ever since. They are made of aluminium with and come with a rubber seal fitted. The face is machined to fit flush onto the front of the engine and to all intents it is identical in shape and function except it's a lifetime modification, and will not crack etc. I can't honestly recall what I paid for it, but I seem to remember it may have been about £18.00 ex shipping. I think if you do a search on eBay under bmw aluminium thermostat housing you will find them. The waterpump I got also is an upgrade and has metal impellers vs the "plastic" impellers of the OEM waterpump. Again, these will outlast the OEM pumps by absolute years. I bought mine from a local Meyle stockist. The intent is to have parts that should still be on the car in 15+ years time without any problems, and are solid quality items.
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I just did a quick eBay search...£.10.24 from the US ex shipping cost.
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...AND NEW DRIVE BELTS!! Car will be ready today though!!..... :D :D :D
"Normal is overrated"