Advice Please - Struts and Chips

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
RobBruce

Z3 roadster 2.8

Advice Please - Struts and Chips

Post by RobBruce »

I've had a chat with my insurance company and for a front strut and superchip they will only need to up my excess a bit! Huzzah! :twisted:

My questions for you gurus are:

Front struts - is the Etech one from BM town any good? Looks pretty nice. How are they to fit? Or does anyone have a strut for sale at the moment?

Superchips - anyone had any real experience with them? Just under £300 for 13 extra bhp, better fuel econ and better response sounds good, but are they for real? Do they dyno test to prove it etc? :rtm:

Awaiting knowledgable responses........ :D

Cheers
Rob 8-)
In God We Trust - everyone else gets PNC'd.
mrloneranger

M roadster S50

Post by mrloneranger »

I've got an E-tec brace on my //M. It made a huge difference to the scuttle shake. Its still there but much reduced. The quality was ok, although bmheaven took some time to deliver and didn't really communicate much, but its good enough. From what i gather the 'strong strut' seem to be of a high quality but personally a strut brace is a strut bace
cc

M roadster S50

Post by cc »

i was going to buy one of these strut braces but have heard a few bad things about bm town.The final straw that put me off was the fact that you had to put your card details in with no firm price quote!never seen this before.why dont they quote p&p or do they add alot on?

personally i have just ordered a sparco for £94.95 with free p&p.
i would also be interested in a chip for my ///m.but has anyone tried one yet?

chris
Neal(2.8Roadster)

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Neal(2.8Roadster) »

cc wrote: personally i have just ordered a sparco for £94.95 with free p&p.
Where from ?
Neal Glover

Email : nealglover@Gmail.com
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Rob

I don't know anyone who's had Superchips installed, however Lorraine had some good experiences with TD Performance Tuning, see viewtopic.php?t=656

Sounds very worthwhile.

Tim
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

Brace n Chips Please--To Go!!

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

Fitting an Engine bay Strut brace =E-Tech was the Best value extra I fitted. Having a much more rigid Coupe, if I could notice a difference in the Wet, just think how much more a Roadster would benifit.Anyone can fit the brace in 10 mins, just undo 6 nuts-place on-and Retighten nuts,

What ever the power you have, unless you can "Put it Down" it doesnt count for much, the same as cornering-bends.You want the weight distribution evenly spread across your tyre grip, so power Can be used whenever conditions allow.

You can also consider uprating size of Anti-Roll bars.On another BMW, I upped from 19mm to 25mm front and 11mm to 16 rear.!!!!!!! Wow--like a Go-Kart when you go on the roads after the change.Not bone shaking harsh either, all as before.

Chips !! some promise its the answer to all wants, but Lorraine is the person to answer that.
BBR at Brackley-Nr silverstone have been chipping for years, with reliable results it seems, maybe with a Rolling Road confirm after works--I think??.
safetyfast
Yella

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Yella »

I am still looking for a good source for a super chip and as yet have had no luck in finding anyone that will provide me with any significant results or increases in BHP on my little 1.9 Z :( . I have however just put an order in for a Air Intake Charger and am awaiting it's arrival, I will post my finds once I have it and have fitted it as regards to power and fuel consumption. I put a certain amount of petrol in this week and made a mental note of miles driving with foot down and am now driving steady to see what my car will do. so once this device is fitted I will do the the same and compare results. http://www.turbonator.com/WhatIsIt.html. Don't usually believe these things but for about £60-£70 I'd thought I'd give it a go :) .
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

'Fogging' the air intake does a load of good on a 1.9, see articles linked at http://www.mz3.net/performance.html

The effect is less on other models as BMW improved the basic design.

Tim
RobBruce

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by RobBruce »

I'm getting seriously tempted with the e-tech..........

Have PM'd Lorraine, and emailed BBR for some details. Will letyou know what they say!

Rob
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

The other thing is the exhaust. Before and after dyno tests confirmed 10 bhp performance improvement at the wheels on an M roadster with Eisenmann exhaust.

The up side is that the exhaust sounds brilliant. The down side is that you are then always tempted to get it to perform and the mpg goes out of the window!

Tim
cc

M roadster S50

Post by cc »

to neal,
i order from www.strut-bracer.co.uk(i think thats right).mine has not turned up yet so i cant comment on improvements.should be here this week.
phil485

Z3 roadster 2.8

Strut Braces versus anti roll bar rubbers

Post by phil485 »

As a newbie I was all keen on getting a strut brace fitted super quick :D , but I mentioned it to one of our techies and he launched into one.

He reckons to uprate the anti roll bar first. Especially the rubber mount's, apparantly this is the main cause of the nose tucking in on the bends.

Any suggestions :? must do some more reading :rtm:
Neal(2.8Roadster)

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Neal(2.8Roadster) »

Sorry CC,

all I get from http://www.strut-bracer.co.uk is a 'page cannot be displayed' message.

??
Neal Glover

Email : nealglover@Gmail.com
cc

M roadster S50

Post by cc »

my fault.www.strutbracer.co.uk

that should work.they have 2 for the z3.but its the sparco one that fits straigh sixes.

chris
RobBruce

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by RobBruce »

Zmeagol wrote:The other thing is the exhaust. Before and after dyno tests confirmed 10 bhp performance improvement at the wheels on an M roadster with Eisenmann exhaust.

The up side is that the exhaust sounds brilliant. The down side is that you are then always tempted to get it to perform and the mpg goes out of the window!

Tim
Don't I know it......... AC Schnitzer 'zorst already so hopefull it'll help too.

No reply from BBR yet. Keep you posted.

Rob
Lorraine

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Pm

Post by Lorraine »

Hi Rob, will answer your questions very soon I promise....things around here have been completely mad!!! :shake: :shake:
Cheers,
Lorraine
Z3 3.0 :D
LP

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LP »

Chris - did your Sparco brace arrive from strutbracer.co.uk yet - and if so were there any problems fitting it - I am about to order one but they could not confirm that it would definately fit a 2.8.
Also - how lond did they take to deliver?
thanks
LP
cc

M roadster S50

Post by cc »

hi LP,
yes it arrived no problem.it did take a few weeks but this was because it had to be ordered from sparco.If they have some in stock prob only a few days.they said the same to me about not being 100% that it would fit an ///m but if it did not they would give refund.Have not fitted it yet but can confirm that it will fit.bar is bent back towards the cabin,so its not high causing problems with bonnet. The bar sits just behind throttle cable.it is also ajustable so i cant see any problems whatsoever.ive just got to get some time to do it now!
Roelster

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Roelster »

Just wound a Strut (will post pics later). It is German made for racing competition.
Just a question. It is without joint's. Will this give problems in damaging the structure of the car ?????
Roeland
Z3 Montreal Blue 2.8
JohnBag

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by JohnBag »

i used to own a Golf GTI T before the z and had it chipped at my door for £300 from CCC Tech. Very good increase in power and torque, equal to superchips.

I rang the same guy and he said he would do my 2.0 z for £270 at my door and 10% increase in power and torque!!! what a deal!!!!

Cannot recommend them enough

if anyones interested pm me for Phone no.
Bloke

Other roadster

Post by Bloke »

JohnBag

If you are having this done, let me know the outcome, I would be very interested in an extra 15bhp if that is what they claim and deliver!!

Like to know what sort of real improvement you notice,!!

Bloke
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

Strut Brace

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

Roeland, the strut without any joints, will have to be a perfect Fit--so that the Hole,s line up with the threads on the suspension tower,s.With other strut,s having movable joints each end, you have better chance to adjust to different level,s.

The more rigid it is, the better stability you will find.
safetyfast
Roelster

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Roelster »

ZZZEMMCO,

Thx! I will check it next week. I keep you posted and hopefully show some pictures of it. It is a rare model i get the feeling.
Roeland
Z3 Montreal Blue 2.8
bmwstuff
Z Register member

Z4 roadster 3.0i

knew it was here

Post by bmwstuff »

found it in the archives, pic of my induction kit with e-tech strut brace:
________
VOLCANO CLASSIC
Attachments
front pics