which rims?

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
walter05

Z3 roadster 2.8

which rims?

Post by walter05 »

Hi,Im looking to buy a new set of wheels for my 1998 z3 2.8.Loads for sale on fleabay,piston heads etc.Question! How does one tell the good from the bad? Im told there are a lot of Chinese rims about which are poor quality. Im looking for 17inch, staggered( 8.5j 7.5j)
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: which rims?

Post by Captain »

There are so many reps around some good and some really bad, you need to do your homework, failing that originals are the way to go, at a premium :grin:

Sent from my HTC Desire
ImageImage
Karlynoem

Z8 roadster

Post by Karlynoem »

I know choosing rims is very hard task. For good quality rims at reasonable price, can check bmw wheel styles at oemwheelplus. If you have money to throw away go for original and premium.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You should consider the look you want to achieve. 5 spoke wheels are probably the most popular and therefor also the most common. Multi-spoke wheels can look great, but they're a PITA to clean - getting into the small gaps is difficult. Rounded edges and joins between spokes and rim are easy cleaning wheels. Then there's the narrow / wide issue.... Here in SA, we can get "deals" on 4 new tyres... all the same brand and size. If one has the narrow/wide fittings, then these deals tend to fall away, which means greater cost.
Anyhow, getting back to the wheels, and going with your only stipulation of narrow/wide, then have a look at the Style 42 BMW OEM rims or the BBS Style 42 which are the same.
Also BBS CF wheels which are quite similar to the AC Schnitzer Type III wheels. The E36 M3 "diamond cut" rims are also quite attractive on the Z3. I personally like the look of "WORK MEISTER" wheels which have stunning deep dish styles too, but they are very pricey, a good alternative is Beyem wheels of the 5 spoke variety which are clean looking and have a "mean" look too.
These are a Chinese knock off, but fairly good quality
BMW OEM
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

walter05 wrote:Hi,Im looking to buy a new set of wheels for my 1998 z3 2.8.Loads for sale on fleabay,piston heads etc.Question! How does one tell the good from the bad? Im told there are a lot of Chinese rims about which are poor quality. Im looking for 17inch, staggered( 8.5j 7.5j)

wouldn't worry about poor quality, unless you are buying the new types from BMW.... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Make sure you know the offsets you want, those deep dish shown above won't fit :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster