z3 fuel economy

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
geordie90

Z3 roadster 1.9

z3 fuel economy

Post by geordie90 »

Well, finally did it and worked out the fuel economy on my zed.

filled him up, its a him cos gf thinks i have a love affiar with it so had to call him albert, what she doesnt know is albert is short for albertina lol...

necked it, did 300 miles on the tank then refilled it, put 44 litres in, at an eye stinging cost of 58 quid, then did the calculation, 44 litres divided by 4.5(which is roughly the conversion from litres to gallons)

To my pleasant surprise it came out as 31 mpg which is 10 mpg more than the obc indicates.

In any event I am delighted with that as I certainly do not spare the horses when driving him/her lol

I have a K&N induction kit, stainless steel exhaust(big bore) so wonder if that helps??

Just for those who also struggle with the economy side of things

Craig
Mint

blank

Re: z3 fuel economy

Post by Mint »

That's what I do Craig. Mines a 2.2 and she averages about 30MPG, although I think we should measure in SPG - Smiles per galllon :)
geordie90

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geordie90 »

I was running a 2.5 ltr diesel volvo s60 before i had a change in personal circumstances and had to, what i thought at time take a downward step, how wrong i was out of all the S*** i have had to deal with the zed is the one of only a couple of rays of sunshine, everytime i get in i smile and my mind is allowed to have fun again, I love her/it lol
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

geordie90 wrote:
To my pleasant surprise it came out as 31 mpg which is 10 mpg more than the obc indicates.
If you have a look at this thread you can recalibrate the OBC to give an accurate figure:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=36928
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

A thought. It`s been discussed previously about how the speedo reads 5%ish over true speed. Does the mileometer use the same method to calculate miles driven? If so we aren`t getting the mpgs we think we are.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I've seen this discussed, and the thought was that the odometer is correct, though the only way to tell would be to use a GPS to confirm actual distance travelled against what the odometer says.
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I use a spreadsheet for my work car, so I saved a blank version and renamed it to use when I got my Z3 3.0 last year. I'm getting about 25mpg average though the last tank full was 23mpg (winter months). If it was my daily driver I'd be concerned, but seeing as the last tank lasted me three months (well it was winter) and the current one about 5-6 weeks then it doesn't bother me. I can get almost exactly double with my work 320d estate, but I don't drive that for fun. :D