**urgent help please**bonnet release

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

**urgent help please**bonnet release

Post by Fozzfox72 »

Hello all,
Really need your help with this one!

Just cleaned and lovingly leathered off car, went to open bonnet and it was a little tough to open, which it generally is.
Then something went pop underneath and lever is very loose but bonnet stuck shut. Im guessing there must be a cable that runs to the bonnet from the lever, and im guessing its snapped.

1. is there another way to release (probably not)
2. is it expensive (of course)
3. could I do it with my limited knowledge (don't be silly)
4. should i take a seat and start to cry (knowing BMW yes)

I am really going to need to open real soon as i have little or no wiper wash and need to check levels.

Kinda wished i never bothered now! :head:

Any realist help appreciated :oops:

Thanks in advance

Foz
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: **urgent help please**bonnet release

Post by John Wilson »

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

It can be done by going in through from under the car reaching upwards. It will require removing a cover under the car ...once that is out the way, it will need someone that knows what to look for to release the catches.(2) Best solution is to take it to someone that knows BMW's...
The part under the car to remove is the splash guard..item # 2 on the diagram. The catches are left and right adjacent to the headlights - see photograph...the catches are the 2 silver metal rings left and right.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

This happened to me recently.

There are two cables under there. One from the lever to the offside catch and a second from the offside catch to the nearside catch.
What happens is one or both of the catches seize up which is why your lever has been stiff and you carry on getting around to it one day until you snap a cable and you are stuffed.

I spent a week fannying about with coat hangers and socket set extension bars and screwdrivers getting nowhere. You really need to be able to stand up under the car so I took it to a local garage who lifted it up above head height and had it open in under an hour for the princely sum of £35!

Once you get it open replace both cables and both catches and then keep them well lubricated. Buy genuine BMW bits you will be surprised how cheap they are. From memory all four items were a total of about £40.

Those of you who have not snapped a cable yet and have a stiff bonnet release take note. New catches and cables now can save a huge headache later! Trust me!!!
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Happened to me on the nearside catch. I popped out a kidney grill and made a "tool" out of wire and bent a small "hook" on the end. After 5 minutes of probing into the hole where the cable went I managed to release it. :)
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

therealdb1 wrote:This happened to me recently.

There are two cables under there. One from the lever to the offside catch and a second from the offside catch to the nearside catch.
What happens is one or both of the catches seize up which is why your lever has been stiff and you carry on getting around to it one day until you snap a cable and you are stuffed.

I spent a week fannying about with coat hangers and socket set extension bars and screwdrivers getting nowhere. You really need to be able to stand up under the car so I took it to a local garage who lifted it up above head height and had it open in under an hour for the princely sum of £35!

Once you get it open replace both cables and both catches and then keep them well lubricated. Buy genuine BMW bits you will be surprised how cheap they are. From memory all four items were a total of about £40.

Those of you who have not snapped a cable yet and have a stiff bonnet release take note. New catches and cables now can save a huge headache later! Trust me!!!
Thanks for your help on this, i dont suppose your mechanic is in or near london is he?
Gonna call around and see if anyone can get my car up on the ramp?
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

John Wilson wrote:Try this topic
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... se#p324495
Good luck
John
thanks John
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

Southernboy wrote:It can be done by going in through from under the car reaching upwards. It will require removing a cover under the car ...once that is out the way, it will need someone that knows what to look for to release the catches.(2) Best solution is to take it to someone that knows BMW's...
The part under the car to remove is the splash guard..item # 2 on the diagram. The catches are left and right adjacent to the headlights - see photograph...the catches are the 2 silver metal rings left and right.
Southernboy

many thanks for the input and fantastic explosive diagrams, I was thinking of exploding myself after snapping the cable! :head:

anyway off to find a mechanic that can put my zed on the ramp and hopefully doesn't pull my trousers down, some of the guys have said its not that expensive a fix, but the old cynic in me is well....cynical :dunce:
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

Hi all,
just called BMW main dealer, very helpful too.

Prices are:
cable 1 £23.66 main cable from lever in footwell to catch
cable 2 £14.81 from cable 1 to catch 2 (i think)
catch 1 and 2 are: £12.14 if needed.

2 days lead time, all genuine parts

gosh I have never called BMW and not fainted after being given the quote before! first for everything I guess :lol:

not bad at all.... :colourful:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....You can keep your hat on........ :wave
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

:dunce:
Southernboy wrote:....You can keep your hat on........ :wave
lol

if the cap fits an all that...
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lordhelpus »

Sorted at £50.61 and a two year guarantee on the parts to boot!!! or should I say bonnet.. :thumb:

Note to self: LUBRICATE bonnet catches!!!!!!!!!
1997 2.8................ Montreal Blue
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

See told you you would be surprised how cheap the parts are from BMW!!!
I found this out when I needed the rubber bellows from the MAF to the throttle body. I was looking at aftermarket parts on ebay and the like and they were asking £20 to £30 plus postage for a single section. Went to the franchised dealer and picked up genuine BMW hoses, both sections for £22 the pair!
These days I always call BMW first and only look for aftermarket parts when I regain consciousness after fainting! e.g when you ask them for an abs sensor or a throttle body!

As I said earlier replace all 4 parts you will only regret doing half the job at a later date.

Sorry but the guy who got my bonnet open is in sunny Norfolk!
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Ah yes I have that note to myself too.

Lubricate bonnet catches regularly!

And another one:

At the first sign of release lever stiffness do something about it!