STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS NEEDED.

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS NEEDED.

Post by Southernboy »

Please can some one provide me with step by step instructions for the following problem.
The car is a 2001 3.0 Z3. The seller has fitted a new instrument cluster, which does not reflect the true / correct mileage on the display. From what I understand, this can be corrected fairly simply via the cluster???
I need detailed step by step instructions, as the seller is some 600kms from me, and I will need to send the details to him so that he can perform the corrective process.
You can email it to me directly to:- searchinc@worldonline.co.za
Cheers guys... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS NEEDED.

Post by Captain »

Find a dodgy used car dealer, these guys are pros at altering the mileage, they refer to it as giving the car a haircut ;)
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I just sms'd you Hilton...I had a look in the Z3 Knowledgebase, there seems to be some info there, but I'm not clear about the specific procedure...seems the OBC keeps track of the actual mileage, and a "new" cluster display can be corrected to reflect that true mileage... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The OBC is not involved in this - the mileage is held in the ECU and cluster - if the two don't agree, the tamper dot should be illuminated. I'm afraid I don't know the procedure to update the mileage.

Edit: just checked the KB - the odometer self-test mode can be used to do it on the earlier cluster, but unfortunately a 2001 car will be the later type it is not documented. See http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20201

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

This is all from Bentley's and is completely at your own risk, I haven't tried this I'm just copying it from the manual. But it does appear that you need the coding plug from the old cluster to sort this out legitimately.

Coding plug, removing and installing
The coding plug stores one of two records of the vehicle mileage, as well as additional vehicle information.
  • Remove instrument cluster (See my Dash Removal KB article for detail).
  • Break open plastic retainer in back of instrument cluster and remove coding plug.
  • Install coding plug and new retainer. Reinstall Instrument cluster.
  • Synchronise stored vehicle mileage and service information. See Instrument cluster mileage resetting (from 9/1998)
Instrument cluster mileage resetting (from 9/1998)
Vehicle mileage and service interval information are stored in an EEPROM on the instrument cluster main circuit board and also in the coding plug. When the original coding plug is reinstalled in a new cluster the mileage information stored in the new main circuit board differs from actual vehicle mileage stored in the coding plug. This causes on odometer anti-tamper warning dot to light up in the cluster.

Use Test Function 16, described below, to bring the two mileage figures into agreement and to extinguish the anti-tamper dot. Normal data exchange between the two information storage sites is restored.
  • Use test 19 to unlock test functions - See Instrument cluster tests, unlocking (from 9/1998)
  • Use odometer reset button to scroll to test 16.
  • Display XXXXXX I_16.0 indicates that mileage in cluster circuit board EEPROM is lower than mileage stored in coding plug.
  • Display XXXXXX E_16.0 indicates that mileage in coding plug is lower than mileage stored in cluster circuit board.
  • Press and hold odometer reset button for 4 seconds.
  • Display COPY _16.1 overwrites lower mileage with higher mileage and extinguishes anti-manipulation warning dot.
NOTE:
  • Service interval information is also transferred by this procedure.
  • If the battery is disconnected before 2 miles have been accumulated on the cluster, repeat test 16 to cancel anti-tamper warning.

Instrument cluster tests, unlocking (from 9/1998)
  • Press and hold trip odometer reset button while switching ignition key to first detent (RADIO position). tESt appears in the display.
  • Press reset button to scroll through test functions until tESt 19 L ON is displayed.
  • Display switches from L ON(Lock ON) to L OFF(Lock OFF) every second.
  • Press reset button immediately when it changes to L OFF
  • Proceed to next test (Example: test 16 odometer reset)
NOTE: Cluster tests are automatically locked when exiting test functions.

Hope this helps.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thanks guys...I think that'll sort it. .. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Thanks for that Dave - I'll update the KB article as necessary.

Cheers R.
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

No probs. Do you want the pre 9/98 info just for completeness?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Already got it, thanks Dave. That's what I was quoting from above. I've updated the article with your info - thank you.

Cheers R.
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

That'll teach me to read every post in a thread.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Must thank you Dave & Robert...I had a good read through the Bentleys after Dave's reference...It's all pretty straight forward really... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

I tried to clear my odometer EEP_1 message problem today using the step by step instructions kindly provided by Robert T originally in April 2009, modified January 2014. However my display won't go beyond test 1.7. It steps through 1.0 1.1.1.2 etc,. but reverts to 1.0 when the numbers reach 1.7. The odd message EEP_1 comes and goes but isn't cleared by any playing with this function. Does anyone know how to get beyond test 1.7 please? :?:
Jams

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Jams »

motco wrote: Wed 18 Feb, 2015 16:40 I tried to clear my odometer EEP_1 message problem today using the step by step instructions kindly provided by Robert T originally in April 2009, modified January 2014. However my display won't go beyond test 1.7. It steps through 1.0 1.1.1.2 etc,. but reverts to 1.0 when the numbers reach 1.7. The odd message EEP_1 comes and goes but isn't cleared by any playing with this function. Does anyone know how to get beyond test 1.7 please? :?:
Late answer, but for future reference, once you get into the hidden menu (press trip reset button followed by key into 1 position and "test" appears on the cluster screen), then quickly and continuously press the trip reset button to go through 1 to 19. If you pause once "test" appears, it'll only let you go through sub-menu 1. If you want to go into menu 16 for example, keep pressing the trip reset button as soon as "test" appears until you get to 16, then pause. The pause essentially 'selects' menu 16.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Thanks Jams, bookmarked!