New to z3's

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Djhanks

Z3 roadster 1.9

New to z3's

Post by Djhanks »

There's a few questions I'm hoping some of you can answer for me as I can't seem to find anything on various other forums.

1) I'm doing a m50b25 turbo conversion into a 1998 1.9, will a rhd e36 Coupé manifold fit ok once it's in the z3?
2) If I run the 2.5 gearbox, what rear end on the z3 should I use or will the 1.9 be sufficient to mate up with?
3) I am planning on lowering it a fair bit, what suspension am I best going for? Coilovers or shocks and springs?

Thanks
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Re: New to z3's

Post by stu »

In theory, the E36 manifold should fit, but I'd suggest you measure the engine bay once the engine is in.

Diff, no idea, but I'd have thought you need LSD with a blown as50, so 2.8 diff is better.

Coil overs are a good idea as are body braces & bush upgrades.

Do a search for boot floor/diff mount cracks too, as I'd suggest you upgrade before you do all the other stuff.

What turbo set up are you planning?

Good luck & keep us posted.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Djhanks

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Djhanks »

stu wrote:In theory, the E36 manifold should fit, but I'd suggest you measure the engine bay once the engine is in.

Diff, no idea, but I'd have thought you need LSD with a blown as50, so 2.8 diff is better.

Coil overs are a good idea as are body braces & bush upgrades.

Do a search for boot floor/diff mount cracks too, as I'd suggest you upgrade before you do all the other stuff.

What turbo set up are you planning?

Good luck & keep us posted.
Cheers for that,
Know of any decent coilovers for the z3?
Also someone has told me that e36 coilovers fit the front?
I plan to fully polybush it straight away :-).
Cheers for the heads up ill look that up, any suggestions on how to prevent the diff mounting tearing?
Turbo set up is going top mounted gt30 or HX35 with wing exit exhaust :-).
Should see 450ish
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The best treatment for the prevention of tearing the diff mount, the cross member and the boot floor is to fit a dual eared diff cover. Below are some pics of the mod I did to my car.

The pic of the aluminium "gasket" describes the requirement for the speed sensor to clear the dual ear cover on the inside. The OEM cover has a deeper interior dish whereas the 2 eared cover is aprox 10mm shallower, so the "gasket" is vital. Also, the position of the two ears are firstly not in line with the OEM left side mount, and obviously there isn't a mount on the right, so one needs to be fabricated and welded on there. The left side OEM mount needs to be cut off, and a new mount welded on.
If you're interested in the finer details of this mod you can PM me.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Djhanks

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Djhanks »

Southernboy wrote:The best treatment for the prevention of tearing the diff mount, the cross member and the boot floor is to fit a dual eared diff cover. Below are some pics of the mod I did to my car.

The pic of the aluminium "gasket" describes the requirement for the speed sensor to clear the dual ear cover on the inside. The OEM cover has a deeper interior dish whereas the 2 eared cover is aprox 10mm shallower, so the "gasket" is vital. Also, the position of the two ears are firstly not in line with the OEM left side mount, and obviously there isn't a mount on the right, so one needs to be fabricated and welded on there. The left side OEM mount needs to be cut off, and a new mount welded on.
If you're interested in the finer details of this mod you can PM me.
Cheers for that I'll give you an inbox now and see a bit more into this :-)