Steering wheel shudder

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
JamesZ32.8

blank

Steering wheel shudder

Post by JamesZ32.8 »

Hi all

got a problem with the Z3
when im driving down the road and the surface gets abit bumpy but sometimes happens when its smooth i get bad wheel shudder
its usually at about 40mph and gets worse until about 70mph

i was thinking it could be track rod ends/tie bars
but then read through some posts and saw about tyre problems ive got avon zz3's all round but they have probably 3mm left on them
also when i last did my brakes i had an issue pushing one of the pistons back and also noticed uneven pad wear
It seems as though when you drive down the road it feels like every rotation the wheel grips slighty

hence why im now thinking i might need a caliper

opinions

Thanks
stupot50

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Steering wheel shudder

Post by stupot50 »

JamesZ32.8 wrote:Hi all

got a problem with the Z3
when im driving down the road and the surface gets abit bumpy but sometimes happens when its smooth i get bad wheel shudder
its usually at about 40mph and gets worse until about 70mph

i was thinking it could be track rod ends/tie bars
but then read through some posts and saw about tyre problems ive got avon zz3's all round but they have probably 3mm left on them
also when i last did my brakes i had an issue pushing one of the pistons back and also noticed uneven pad wear
It seems as though when you drive down the road it feels like every rotation the wheel grips slighty

hence why im now thinking i might need a caliper

opinions

Thanks
Have you tried jacking the car up and rotating the wheels to see if they grab or the pads are rubbing? Wheel balance might be the issue?
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped
JamesZ32.8

blank

Post by JamesZ32.8 »

yeh going to have a good look in the morning just wondering if anyone had any other ideas of what i suggested to look for
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Always difficult to guess these symptoms as it could be one of several things. Based on what you have said it could be a sticky calliper although this would not be restricted to a rough road surface - the wheel will be hot, after driving, if you have this problem. My guess is the old favourite i.e. the round rubber bush at the rear of the front wishbones - these are a very common issue - they split and break with age - after about 60,000 miles and/or 10-years they can always be the suspect.
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Sounds like my old problem, might be worth reading the responses to my past post, especially the wealth info from Southernboy

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=39099

Cheers :rtm:
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
JamesZ32.8

blank

Post by JamesZ32.8 »

Turned out to be the brake caliper sticking so i swapped it and for good measure did the track rod ends as they were quite worn